Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Panny 42PA50 with RGB or Component

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by socrates1, Jun 17, 2005.

1. socrates1

socrates1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Panny 42PA50 with RGB or Component

I’ve decided to go with a Panasonic 42PA50, but having trawled through a lot of old posts, I’m still confused on whether or not I need to change my DVD player which does not have component output, only RGB. From my reseacrh, I think the following is the situation:

1) “All plasma screens work progressively”
    2) You can feed the screen an interlaced signal, eg RGB and the screen will produce a progessive image by deinterlacing the image.
    3) You can feed the screen a progessive signal through component, and the screen shows this image, with the deinterlacing carried out by the DVD player.
    4) Progressive images direct from a DVD player can be better than RGB converted to progressive in the plasma, depending on the quality of the DVD player/Plasma deinterlacers..

Am I right in my assumptions, and if so should I stick with my old player. I’ve also read some posts about DVD players that will upscale, and then output to the screen. Is this a separate issue for a SD screen?

My current player is a Sony S735 I got in 2000 (£450 at the time, considered a very good mid range model). Is the quality of new players significantly improved over a model like this. If the answer to my main question above is that component (either interlaced or progressive) is superior to RGB, what is a good machine in the £200-£300 bracket that people would recommend?

Thanks,

KC

2. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,625
    1) Yes
    2) Yes
    3) Yes
    4) Yes, it is better setting my DVD player to progressive, but cheaper ones, no

I have also got a Sony 525, no component out but was VERY happy with the picture from it, but I have compare it with component and component is better.
    Maybe not enought the spend a few hundered quid on it, but I got my DVD player from the classifieds for £105 so it was a bit of a bargain.