1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny 42PA20 AV input problem

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Elvis, May 30, 2004.

1. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sure there is a simple solution to this, so if anyone knows what it is, prove how stupid I am by telling me :)

I have my Panasonic PA20 set up with;
    Sky+ into AV1 via RGB scart
    Xbox into AV2 via scart
    DVD to AV4 via RGB scart
    Also there is an aerial connection for terrestrial TV and two audio out cables running to an amp & external speaker set-up.

I realsie the Xbox isn't going to be RGB into AV2, but the problem is I'm not getting any picture at all, just sound. I've checked the cable and there's nothing wrong there, so why no picture?

I wondered if it might be set up as AV out only so I checked the settings in the OSD and for some reason I couldn't turn off the Q-Link function (don't know if that's related). Thing is I'm sure it was working fine until recently, have I, or someone else, accidentally messed up some settings somewhere? Please help!

TIA

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    With a PA20 try Sky+ set to S-video out, also Q-link if you have no VCR set to unused AV input or even AV4 i think. Is Xbox connected with freebie scart adapter or actual MS Advanced scart???

3. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the suggestions Horny.
    I'm only able to select AV2 or AV4 on the Q-link control, there is no off or 'unused' option, which contradicts the manual (have I done something?). and I don't have an s-video lead at home to connect the sky+ box. I'm sure it was all working a couple of weeks ago :confused:

The Xbox lead is the advanced scart version. Now the screen is wall mounted I can't get the freebie scart lead in the back of the panny anyway.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I think there is a software option for S-video on scart on Sky+ check the menu mate.

5. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can only find a setting for either PAL or RGB. It's on RGB right now. I guess I should be able to get a picture on AV2 right? maybe I'll have to re-cable a little, run the xbox or DVD into the second scart on the sky box then onto either AV1 or 4. Looks like I need more cables.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    try the VCR scart i think may have S-video option.
    Basically PA20 has the Acuity Chassis that deals with S-video far better than it does RGB.

7. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the advice. What you're saying is that s-video will look better than scart?

8. Orlando

Orlando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    This is a message to Elvis.
    I'm sorry Elvis, I know you want answers to your post, but while your here.
    I know you previously owned the Hitachi plasma, and you obviously now have the panny.
    Can you please give an insight into the difference in picture quality between the two sets. What's the best in your opinion? Do you notice a flicker on the Panny? Can you tell the difference between the high and low res screens?
    Sorry for all the questions, hope you can assist. :thumbsup:

9. astonbilla

astonbilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    i can't remember but is there some way of changing rgb on/off in the XBOX dashboard? or maybe the pal 50/60 setting is causing probs?

doubt it though, clutching straws now

10. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Orlando,
    You're right. I used to have a Hitachi 42PD300 and I now have a Panasonic 42PA20.

Flicker:
    I can't see any on my panny and there was none on the Hitachi. From what I have read this is quite a personal thing so I would suggest you check it out for yourself. Apparently white scenes are the worst offenders, but I recently watched Touching the Void and I could see no flicker despite all those snowscapes.

Picture Quality:
    The Panny screen does seem a bit more coarse, but it shows less banding, particularly on fast moving images. The Panny display is darker and more contrasty, whereas the Hitachi was brighter but with less contrast. Sometimes the Hitachi picture would look washed out. The Panny seems less forgiving of a poor source (aerial input for example). All in all I prefer the Panasonic, but its close.

Other differences:
    I would say that the ability to have different picture settings for each AV input on the Panny is a big improvement over Hitachi's global picture settings. I did prefer the seperate media box of the Hitachi though and it seemed to offer marginally better connectivity. I would rate the Hitachi speakers as better than the Panny ones too.

To sum up, taking each package as a whole there isn't really much in them, both are good sets and I think it's down to personal preference. I would have happily kept hold of the Hitachi were it not for the clouding effect on the screen, and I would have replaced it with another if Hitachi had accpted it was a fault, but their insistence that it was a 'feature' of their technology led me to look at an alternative, hopefully newer models don't display this feature. I am now quite happy with my Panasonic.

Astonbilla:
    I tried the PAL 50/60 settings and it didn't make any difference. I did look for an RGB setting but couldn't find one. What puzzles me is that it seemed to be working fine a couple of weeks ago with exactly the same set-up.

11. Seanjackdan

Seanjackdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Getting back to this original thread, I too have a problem with Q-Link on Panny PE30.

When I set up a Timer Recording ( or record manually) on DMR-E75 everything is fine while the Plasma is turned on !!!

However, if I have the Plasma on Standby ( i.e: during the night, and recording through the night ) no picture or sound is recorded !!!!

basically the Plasma has to be on for a recording to work, surely this can't be right - and I have been through all the different settings !!!!

Basically Q-Link is screwing things up, andI don't know how to disable it !!!

Any help......

Sean !!!!!!!!!