1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny 42HD(6/7) DVI & the 720/50 issues

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by 1ofaKind, Jan 7, 2005.

1. 1ofaKind

1ofaKind

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi All,

I've read lots of posts regarding the 'proposed' Sky HD stuff and the fact that its probably going to be 720p/50 or 1080i/50. So I understand that the DVI & HDMI blades for the Panasonics are only 60hz capable at HD resolutions. Given either using a Lumagen or Iscan to process and scale (either a SD picture up or a 720/50 to 720/60) how much judder / issues are introduced if the scaler converts it to 60hz from 50hz. Does this introduce lip-sync issues etc.

Has anyone on here gone for a setup this way or are people generally ignoring the Panasonics now due to this and going elsewhere (Pioneer?). Is the judder an obvious issue or a more individual issue (like flicker).

Or I am I just going to have to wait till Panasonic fix the issue for 8 series (if they do) / ignore Sky HD or get a Pioneer.

Cheers

2. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Judder is a bit like flicker, it bother some and not others...as for lipsync, the Iscan HD varies the delay according to the video frame rate... hence it is always in sync, not sure about the lumagen though...

I current use analogue from my Iscan HD to the Panny, but I am in the process of borrowing a DVI board to see with my own eyes what people have been discussing...

I will report back when I have had a chance to experiment...

JJ

3. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    See my timings post...

Did not see any judder, can't comment on Sky+ as I'm not in the UK, if the display's capable I'm sure it will go for the higher resolutions, but the only PAL standard so far is 576p.