1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

panny 42 PWD6, impressions after 200 hours

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by spook, Jul 19, 2004.

1. spook

spook
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all, I have had my panny 42 PWD6 for a few weeks now, here are my impressions so far after 200 hours of use:

Blacks have improved immensely over the last 200 hours use. I noticed that there was a slight glow in the black areas when the screen was brand new, I suppose the cells are so sensitive before the phosphors have burned in that even a standing voltage will create a slight glow?, so if you have just received a new panny, don't worry if the screen doesnt seem to have the amazing blacks you have been hearing about, just give it time to run in (approx 200 hours) and all should be well.

here's a tip when comparing plasmas, take a look at the screens with the power off, well that's as good as the black is going to get! , you would be surprised just how "grey" some screen are with the power off.

I almost went for the Viera 42 inch, I am glad I changed to the PWD6 for a number of reasons:

1. cheaper (quite a lot) for what is essentially the same screen.

2. I use the desktop stand, which is a very strong and solid peice of kit, unlike the wobbly pedestal stand that comes with the Viera.

3. image settings, colours contrast etc and image position stretch and squash etc are saved individually for each input (I don't think the viera does this?, I could be wrong?)

4. VGA input is at the rear (Viera, the VGA input is under the front flap)

5. personally I think it looks fantastic with it's narrow black bezel, no sign of silver anywhere, nice ;o)

overall, I can't fault the screen at all, now that the screen is nicely run in, I have the image settings set to the default "Normal" settings on all imputs apart from the white point which I like to set to "cool"
    I have peak limit and power save settings set to "on" and it just looks great.

I have Sky+ set to RGB through a decent scart cable, excellent picture.

I installed component module in the screen to receive a progressive signal from my panny DVD player, just stunning! (btw the component module also has stereo phono audio imputs)

I havent set up my AV audio set up yet, so at the moment I have a pair of 6 ohm Denon SCM51 speakers (£59) connected directly to the screen and it sounds pretty damn good, more than adequate for normal TV.

cheers, Spook

2. ReHaBWales

ReHaBWales
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that Spook. Ive been considering my plasma purchase for a while now. Unfortunately, living here in West Wales means I have yet to see a plasma set up properly. I can go into Dixoncurrycomets, I'm sure they employ the same muppets in all their stores, and I find badly set up screen and no PW6 at all. I try a Panasonic shop nearby that does have a PW6 but they seem to employ the same muppet as Dixoncurrycomets. I even tried going to sevenoaks in Cardiff but the store has limited stock and nothing really setup to well. Actually the best plasa picture I've seen was on a Hitachi in Richer sounds! So I need every bit of information about the PW6 I can get because it is probably the screen I'm going to buy.
    So thanks again :smashin: :thumbsup:

3. chrisuk01

chrisuk01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    yeh would apprecaite any feedback on this screen, as am almost certain i will get this screen.

if i buy, what other cables, components etc wil i need, so that i can watch freeview, play xbox, and watch dvd's.

thanx

4. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,836
    Have you calibrated the plasma? I ask as on mine, "NORMAL" picture setting with no other tweaking produces produces an image which is waaay off Avia.