1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny 42" PWD6 Flickers B/W

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Darkstar_surfer, Dec 10, 2004.

1. Darkstar_surfer

Darkstar_surfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +195
    I recently purchased a Panny PWD6 42" plasma from :thumbsup: AV-Sales :thumbsup: with dual component and s-vhs input card.

I have been using it perfectly with my Pioneer 575 DVD player driving it component. With the arrival of the Christmas tree the old TV finally had to go and I cabled my Netgem box up to the plasma using a very cheap 5 M s-vhs cable. Unfortunately when watching the Netgem very occasionally the pictures jumps to black and white then back again.

I plan to use my av-receiver, Yam 750se, in the New Year to route component from both the DVD and Netgem to the plasma but that has to wait till mid January, when the tree has gone.

I will try a shorter s-vhs cable over the weekend but was wondering if there were any other recommendations. As the short cable can only be used for an hour or two, Netgem is going to be sitting on a step ladder.

I could just run out and buy an IXOS XHV403-500 at £30, but will it solve my problem.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    better off with a mark Grant S-VHS lead 5m should not be a problem for a good cable........ have run 20m S-video to plasmas with no issues (need a bloody strong signal at source end tho)

3. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Sounds like one of the pins on your lead may be ill-fitting or broken (either inside the plug or on the external pins)

4. Darkstar_surfer

Darkstar_surfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +195
    OK, netgem is now moved and I have fitted a new scart to s-vhs 1.5m cable.

I still get black and white picture now and again and overall colour is poor.

I have two netgems and both behave the same.

5. Darkstar_surfer

Darkstar_surfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +195
    Used my pioneer 575 to drive both the s-vhs cables and a brillant picture, not as good as component but good.

It must be either my aerial feed or the Netgem itself.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  7. MJS

MJS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bear in mind that s-vhs carries the chroma and luma separately. i.e black and white and colour. The symptoms you describe are of losing the chroma connection. It may even be a fault with your source - is it definately outputting an s-vhs signal? I've seen the case (on my old philips tv) where s-video and composite share a common bus, and piping a composite signal into the luma on the s-video connection results in a very poor b/w picture with a small amount of colour detail. I guess there was some cross-talk from the composite input leaking onto the chroma input. I'd go with Liam's suggestion that there's a dodgy contact somewhere.

Hope this helps.

8. Darkstar_surfer

Darkstar_surfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +195
    The problem is very intermittent and mostly on the 5 terestial channels. I have two sets of cables and two Netgem's. The second Netgem drives an LCD TV in the bedroom and that is perfect and I have no complaints about its quality. I used to drive the LCD using s-video until I discovered the Netgem outputs component as well, which gives a stunning picture. I have tried both Netgem's and mixed and matched the cables but I can't get either Netgem to give a 100% reliable picture with the Plasma over s-video. I can however get a stunning picture using my DVD to drive the plasma via s-video but I want the DVD player to drive the component input because it is a progressive DVD player and the picture is so much better.

I plan to use my amp, yam 750se, as a video switch in the new year and then both the Netgem and the DVD will drive the plasma using component.

I just would like to know what the problem is and is there a way to fix it as opposed to ignoring it and finding a work around.

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    PW6 15 pin sub( VGA) input will take YUV component signal..... i think it is netgems output must be low on chroma pin........ cable too use VGA input is cheap enough Scart to RGB wired 15 pind D-sub if you can find one ebay probably has some...