1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

panny 42 PHD7 settings + should I sell it ????

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Sword, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Sword

Sword

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Firstly, I've messed around with the settings over the last few months - and don't have a clue what I'm doing! I appreciate its probably subjective but does anyone have opinions on optimal vibrant settings for this when connected to a Pioneer AV receiver (all SCART) plus Pioneer DVD/HD recorder plus NTL cable feed?

Next, looking at all the HD bad news, am I best selling this diaplay now while I could get a reasonable return for it and buying an alternative HD-Ready display? Won't this be cheaper than buying a scaler later on or waiting in the vain hope that a third party brings out an add-in board at the correct clock speed?

Thing is, I really love the display.

ta muchly :)
    Sword

2. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    If you want to have a go at getting the settings close then the cheap way of doing it is to buy yourself a copy of Digital Video Essentials, play it over and over again until the relatively complicated instructions make full sense then make the adjustments to the screen. Without expensive test gear there are a lot of test patterns on the disc thatv will be of little use to you but there are many that will be of help.

The better option is to get it ISF calibrated - but I would have to say that ;)

The sell it now / keep it debate is tricky. My understanding is that there is zero chance of a card for this model that will be able to do 720p or 1080i @ 50 Hz. It is not just the card that is the problem - it is more fundamental in the screen's electronics. A good scaler will work well (that's what I have here) and HD looks stunningly good.

3. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    If you are gonna sell anyway, you might as well wait until you actually need something to run HDTV on! If you aren't planning on diving in early (when everything is sodding expensive but there is little or no material to actually watch) it may be that buy the time you are the resale value of the current screen may be less, but the replacement cost of the compatible screen will be lower too...

4. Sword

Sword

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Good points both - thanks.

I'll have a butchers for one of these DVDs you mention - how much should I be paying? Seen one for 20 squids.

Isn't it a case of somebody just posting their own configuration settings for me to copy/input? Or does this again reveal my great ignorance?!

And yea - maybe waiting will result in cheaper scalers or something which will hopefully give the best of both worlds :)

Thanks again,
    Sword

5. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    The "correct" settings vary according to the light level in your viewing room and will differ between source devices. Someone else's settings may get you closer if you are miles out at the moment but equally may be of no help at all.

Check for Piero Milani in the power buys section for where to get DVE at a good price.

6. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,597
    £13 delivered. Do a search for digital video essentials.

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Get it calibrated and i think you will decide not to sell...........(may spend as much, if not more upgrading the rest of your kit tho..........)