panny 42 hd8 or panny 50 hd7

C

carnehill28

Hi all,

I am in the process of buying a panny 42 hd8 upgrading from an older model. I have the chance of getting a 50 " hd7 for an extra £600. Any advice is there a difference between the two frm a quality point of view? Or does anyone know the diff between the phd 7 and the phd 8. If the 8 is the better set then I will stick with the 42 " model. All info will be greatly accepted :lease:

nicke20

The 8 has a 2 year warranty and will do component over vga
the 7 will not. for sky hd you can always go and get one of the little black boxes to convert the hdcp encrypted hdmi output into a component output. I think the real question is, are you going to use a scaler with it, if you are the 7 totaly up to the job, as a matter of interest have you asked avsales for a quote on a 50" 8 series ??

C

carnehill28

Hi

Thanks for the help. Yes I did try av- sales and they never got back to me after promising to. Still I think that it will be out of my league that is why I was enquiring about the phd 7. I will be using a sky + box and watching dvd through component. Thats it basically until sky roll out the hd broadcasts or I change my dvd player for one with a hdmi out. I am using an arcam dv 78 which I love. Do you still think that the phd 7 50" would do the job or should I leave it at the phd 8? I do not know much if anything about scaling so forgive me if I ask you to explain a little simpler what you mean

nicke20

Im guesing that your phd7 price is from Maw, ?

When sky roll out hd it will be encrypted using hdcp via an hdmi port, rumour has it that the first boxes will output via component, but sky have not said if they will turn off or restrict the output via this route in the future. Everybody was waiting for the 8 series because it would output support native res at 50Hz via dvi or hdmi, it didnt !! so the 8 series had no huge advantage over the 7 series.
A scaler apart from being a very good video/audio switch will take an incoming signal and process it to any desired output in resolution and frequency, hence you can feed your panel a native signal meaning the plasma will do no processing, this gives a huge improvement to picture quality.

My advice is twofold, never rush into a purchase, research all aspects of what you are buying leaving no stone unturned, understand all of the jargon andkeep up to date via the forums. Secondly you have to go and see what you intend to purchase, never buy blind it is a lot of money, and what one person likes may not be what you do.

as far as the suitability of the 7 series for sky hd, if you do have a scaler then feeding the signal via component will be possible courtesy of the magic little black box, this is a device that turns an hdcp encrypted hdmi output into a decrypted vga output, a quick google search and you will find them

hope this helps

Nick

Top Bottom