1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

panny 37pv500 resolution and pc games

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by lanfeust_dsn, Sep 5, 2005.

1. lanfeust_dsn

lanfeust_dsn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've read that the panny 37pv500 resolution is 1024*720. great for HD but when it comes to feed it with a pc a 16*9 distortion should be expected. does it mean that if I want to play pc games I have to chose 800*600 (which is the closest since 1024*768 is not available) and play with a distorded image?

thanks

2. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Hi
    check this one out for your self , i used to use powerstrip with my theatertek software player this may assit you in reaching your desired resolution and refresh rate

http://entechtaiwan.net/util/ps.shtm

heres the link

regards

richard

3. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I have just wall mounted my new 37PV500 but only got a chance to connect my laptop to it via the VGA socket yesterday.

I was able to use 1024 x 768 on my laptop but if I set it to anything higher it would chop off the top and bottom of the screen.

4. lanfeust_dsn

lanfeust_dsn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thx guys,

setting k'rosoft windows in 1024*720 is not a big issue. my geforce6 does it with the latest drivers, but usually this resolution is not available in games and this is the problem.

Daipac, I would be very interested to have your feed back about connecting your laptop with the panny. How could you reach 1024*768 is there are only 720 physical lines?

5. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    My laptop was set to 1024x768 in the display settings and there didn't seem to be anything missing from the display on the plasma. Not sure how it works TBH. I don't pretend to understand it I have to admit. LOL !

6. manzee

manzee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1024x768 is 4:3 though, so everything would be stretched...

Did you try 1280x720? You should be able to use this res if you update your video drivers. Does it chop off the top & bottom using this res? It certainly shouldn't at 720p

7. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    manzee, I will have a go when I get home 2nite.

8. manzee

manzee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cool, cheers. I've ordered the same set. Just want to know what to expect when it arrives!

9. lanfeust_dsn

lanfeust_dsn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe the screen is able to chop the picture by itself..so if you choose 1024*768 then 48 pixels are removed and you can hardly notice it...but anyway if you choose 1024*768 in a game the picture will still be stretch to 16/9...except if there is a switch on the screen that does the job to rescale to 4/3 (and the real resolution becomes 960*720).
    anyway strange choice from panny to use "streched" pixels.

has anyone ever dealt with theses issues?

10. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I have just checked my laptop and there is no resolution for 720. It is a Radeon 9000 in a Dell laptop. Can you update the drivers to sort this.

I am interested to find out how the image is controlled when using a PC. Can someone in the know explain this ?

11. lanfeust_dsn

lanfeust_dsn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    daipac,

have you tried to launch a game in 1024*768 and check the picture ratio?
    it seems that there is also a 4/3 mode for the pc input. have you tried it when a game is launched?
    I have exactly the same laptop, you can tweak the desktop resolution with powerstrip I guess...

12. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I haven't tried playing any games on it yet but I will have a go 2nite when I go home.

13. lanfeust_dsn

lanfeust_dsn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've read the manual on panasonic web site and they say

Taille écran 37” (94 cm) diagonale 16:9 Large
    Panneau Panneau Plasma HD progressif
    Nombre de pixels 737,280 (1,024 x 720) pixels
    Signaux PC acceptés XGA (SXGA, UXGA compressé)
    Couleurs affichables 8,6 Milliards de couleurs max dans les parties sombres
    Rapport de contraste 3000 : 1
    Système de couleur NTSC/PAL/SECAM/PAL 60 Hz/M-NTSC

so XGA beeing 1024*768 you can feed it with this resolution but I'm very curious to know how it handle it: compression or cropping?
    we can also wonder if we'd better feed 1600*1200 (UXGA) and use the compression or directly use 1024*768...

14. MokerJoker

MokerJoker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The PV500 scales the image when connected through VGA. It accepts widescreen signals up to 1360x768, which looks good. Tried 1280x720 too, but that doesn't get displayed right on my screen. Odd...

15. puntograle

puntograle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's right. The 37PV500 VGA input is designed to be connected to a 1024x768 XGA signal. Therefore the in-built scaler automatically vertically scales the 768 line signal to the 720 line screen. Likewise, 1280x768 or 1366x768 PC signals are also vertically and horizontally scaled to fit a 1024x720 physical screen. To be honest, the 37PV500 gives a very clear and useable picture via this method.

Now, intuitively you would think that a 1024x720 PC signal (via powerstrip for example) would provide a true 1:1 mapping to the 37PV500 screen - unfortunately not in my experience. It would seem that the in-built scaler cannot be turned off. Therefore a 720 line PC signal is treated in the same way as a 768 line signal. This results in a 'band' of lines at the bottom of the screen that contain gibberish. In addition, the displayed part of the screen is still not 'proper' 1:1 as it is also being scaled. I have tried to play with the settings but cannot get a true 1024x720 PC signal to display fully across the 37PV500 screen (via VGA)

PS: All the above is via the VGA port. I have not had the chance to play with the DVI/HDMI route - The screen is hanging on the wall without an HDMI cable and it seems like too much labour to take it off again just to check this. I would like to know if anyone else has succeeded with displaying a 1:1 true mapping of a 1024x720 PC signal onto the 37PV500 plasma....

16. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    lanfeust, I played Call of Duty on my PV500 last night and set the resolution to 1024x768 in the Graphics menu and it took up the whole screen, no cropping. Looked fantastic too !

:thumbsup:

Here is a photo, not a very good one tho as it was late and I didn't use the flash:

[​IMG]

17. lanfeust_dsn

lanfeust_dsn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thx for this clear explanation.

but does it mean that in 1024*768 the picture is distorded to 16/9 or can you have the proper 4/3 ratio by using the 4/3 switch on the pv500?
    Have you tried to feed it with 1280*1024 to see the effect of the compression? does it still look great?

18. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I haven't done that but will give it a go later.

19. Jim_Fear

Jim_Fear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    In the latest Catalyst suite using the Catalyst Control Center there is an option to enable HDTV resolutions and add them to the list of available resulutions. I dont know if this will be supported on your laptop but its worth a try.

I have one of these 37PV500's on its way and im all giddy at the thought of playing games on it, half life 2 and couter strike source can be set to 16:9, so i'm really giddy about getting this baby :)

20. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Games like Half life 2 and Counter Strike can be set to 16:9 in the game menu, as with most games now.

Should look good :thumbsup: