1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny 37PE50 or PV500

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by OldSkoO1, Aug 22, 2005.

1. OldSkoO1

OldSkoO1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Hi guys,

Im thinking of going plasma. Ive been putting off upgrading my old sony CRT for a while to wait for HD to become more defined. Im worried about compatibilty issues and advances in the tech when it finally becomes available. I have NTL and i dont know when they will start broadcasting HD TV too. Im also interested in HD-DVD stuff i've read about. And for these reasons i dont know whether its worth paying that much extra for a HD TV like the PV500.

What do you guys think? Im very new when it comes to plasmas and have little experience with them. Our friends have a B&O 42" plasma and its amazing which prompted me to buy one now, i was suprised that they are rather affordable now too. That said i dont want to spend more on the PV500 if i could invest the difference into a more established HD set in 2 years time when the standards are set? What do you think?

And also is there that much difference between the PE50 and the PV500; In terms of absolute raw picture quality really.

Thanks in advance!!

2. gnikolaidis

gnikolaidis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Remember all the hype about the 16:9 TV format that was supposed to replace the old 4:3 format in a few years time? Well, we are now in year 2005 and still is very hard to find a TV station broadcasting in 16:9 format, if any.

I believe it is the same thing with the HD hype, the specs are here but by the time you can get HD content at reasonable prices it would probably be a while. Most DVDs would continue to be distributed for the next 4-6 years in the old format, since no DVD producer in his right mind would jeopardize his earnings base, which mainly consists of old analog 4:3 TVs. Of course HD content would be available, but at a steep price which you would have to add to the total cost of owning and operating a HD compatible TV set.

So, it all boils down to how deep your pockets are. If you can afford it go for it, taking in mind the additional costs involved in acquiring HD compatible content. Otherwise, I do not believe you will miss much for the next 4-5 years, by which time the cost of HD content would have come down to more reasonable levels.

3. socrates1

socrates1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I went with the Panasonic 42PA50 (didn't need the tuner with the PE50) in preference to the PV500.

My reasoning went like this.

Standard definition (Sky and DVD) is supposed to be better on a SD set rather than a HD set, so for now the PE50 should be marginally better then the PV500.
    The benefit of HD is lessened when you are further from the screen. I'm at 14ft with the 42PA50 and a HD set should look more or less the same.
    I reckon SD will still dominate for the next 3-5 years. (limited Sky channels at high prices, and a format war for HD/Bluray with expensive hardware/software)
    I won't invest in a HD DVD player until the HD-DVD/Bluray format war is over one way or another, and machines are at a reasonable price compared to DVD players - say approx £200-£300.
    The software will also have to be reasonable compared to DVD's. I'll only pay a premium of a few pounds over existing prices. I'm guessing initial prices will be high.
    By the time I'm ready to invest, HD sets will be cheaper and better specced, or even perhaps superceded by other technologies such as SED.
    In the meantime, I'll enjoy SD on a SD screen which should be better than watching it on a HD set, for a cost of £1,250.

Bear in mind that my decision and any assumptions I've made are based on research I did here. The Panasonic dealers near me didn't have the PV500 when I was checking things out, so I've taken a lot of things on faith from the forum, and I haven't been disappointed so far !

4. OldSkoO1

OldSkoO1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Thats pretty much exactly what i think. Even when HD is available for broadcasting im not sure how affordable it will actually be. Im on NTL atm and switched from sky because it was cheaper. Ever since Sky + came out i think its taken roughly 2 years for me to actually think its reasonably affordable/worthwhile getting. If this is the case with HD tv's and feeds from sky i think by that time i'll be looking at a new tv anyway.

I'd also love to hear the other side of the argument though. Esp in terms of quality between the 2 sets minus the HD aspect. :)

5. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Couldn't see much difference myself. I went for the PV500 mainly because of the better connectivity (HDMI), the better speakers, and the VGA connection. Having seen HD material (on another screen) I'm not convinced by the 'it looks the same as SD when you're further back' argument. It doesn't, you know... :)

6. OldSkoO1

OldSkoO1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Can anyone shed some more light on the SD TV on HD TV oppinion?

I heard about possible price drops in another thread i think??

P.S.
    The only difference between the PE50 and the PV500 is the HD connection and speakers right? :confused:
    Based on the supposed price drops i may even wait for the PV500 if its going to happen :s

7. OldSkoO1

OldSkoO1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Anyone?

8. Skeets_de

Skeets_de

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No that's not the only difference, the 37 PV 50panel is only 852x480, the 37 PV 500 is 1024 x 720. This info can be found on the panasonic website by the way... :(

9. Majid Khan

Majid Khan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can someone confirm if its true that the PE50 doesn't have a fan? and therefore doesn't suffer from the buzzing some ppl have experienced on the PV500.. ?

10. gnikolaidis

gnikolaidis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am the owner of a PE50 and I can confirm there is no fan installed. Actually, this unit is as silent as it gets.

11. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The buzzing isn't necessarily from a fan - circuits can buzz, too...