1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny 37 luminous spots?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by fitzmaurice39, Jan 6, 2003.

1. fitzmaurice39

fitzmaurice39

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi, new to plasma but have been reading the forum for the last couple of days and have ordered the 37" from comet (£5080.00 with 5 year warranty) on interest free credit.
    My question is, I have been on panasonic website and downloaded their user manual and there is a quote that concerns me " The plasma display panel is manufactured using high level tech etc. etc. but some parts of the screen may be missing picture elements or have luminous spots. This is not a malfunction" Can anybody tell me if this is a known problem with plasmas or just panasonic?
    Thanks for any advice.

2. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it says this in the manual too i think they mean dead pixels or just covering there backs, the panny`s are very good
    but i would would be more worried about the price your paying surely you can get it cheaper?

3. fitzmaurice39

fitzmaurice39

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks for reply.
    The price was £3999.00 for screen, speakers,tuner and stand (seems about right from what I have seen) the warranty was £1500 but got it down to £1080.00 (Panasonic direct wanted £550 for two years)

4. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +602
    According to another thread John Lewis are selling the Panny 37" plasma and stand for about £3100 and that includes a 5 year guarantee. (Its about £400 extra for the tuner box.)

I think that Comet promise to refund the difference if you find the same product cheaper somewhere else within 7 days. I don't think that covers guarantees though.

5. steelej

steelej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went to comet to inquire about plasma's and they tried the extended warranty crap on me for 1600 quid. They said "When the gas runs out in 5 years they'll replace the set" Pure Bull Sh@t, I got the 42" set for £3600 from elsewhere and I have it covered on my house insurance. That's piece of mind enough for me. Do you know you can get the 37" for £2699, I'd get right back into Comet and demand some money back. God Damn chancers they are.....

John.

6. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Man I'd cancel that order pronto. I paid 3700 for my 42inch including stand!!!

Neil.

7. Harryson

Harryson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fitz,
    If you still can do, then cancel your order with comet and get down to John Lewis. See my earlier thread ref JL - £2939 for the standard 37' silver screen. Then you add on the stand and/or tuner as you wish. 5 year warranty comes as standard.
    Harry.

8. fitzmaurice39

fitzmaurice39

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks Harry,

Have cancelled the order with comet and will get in contact with JL.

One question, at the moment I have a Phillips 36" CRT in your opinion will I be happy with the Plasma or is CRT still better?

9. Harryson

Harryson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Fitz,
    I can't answer you from direct experience, as I still have an old sony 25'' (until my Panny 37" arrives..!). I looked and looked at 36'' TV's and Plasma's over the last year. It's difficult to say that one has an overwhelming benefit over the other, as each has it's merits. For me it came down to the 36'' crt's are just too big (depth) and the picture processing wasn't convincing enough (particularly with 100 hz). Having said that, I've seen many demo's of the panny and sometimes i've been totally convinced and others totally unconvinced - mainly with TV pictures. That's why I chose the 37" with its smaller pixel pitch, which shows up the picture weaknesses less than the 42''. Oh yes, and when the JL quoted under £3k for the 37" panny, I just found myself saying yes!!
    I'll let you know what it's like when it arrives....!
    Harry