1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny 36PB gamma correction?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by kerraig, Jan 31, 2003.

1. kerraig

kerraig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya, I have a 3 week old 36PB that I am about 85% happy with. The only thing irksome is that the bottom right hand corner is a little bit bluer than the rest of the picture. It's really subtle but if you spend a grand on a new telly you want to be happy right?

There's nothing magnetic near it, and i've tried putting it on either side of the room but nothing solves it.

Is there a special menu option or anything to degauss, or gamma correct or whatever it is. Can an engineer come out and tweak this or is it a case of going back to the shop?

2. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like a convergence issue, which can be difficult to correct simply from service menus.

As for your quote above, I tend to agree with you but unfortunately the manufacturers' view is that if you 'only' spend a grand on a TV then you're very much purchasing a piece of compromised equipment that has been manufactured down to an unrealistic price point as far as even thinking about coming close to perfection is concerned.

3. kerraig

kerraig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So what course of action would you suggest I take? The telly is still under a month old.

My previous telly is 5 years old and has no such convergence issues.

4. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would speak to the people you bought it from and see if they'll send someone out to assess what can be done. It's possible that an engineer may be able to correct things for you fairly simply.

5. kerraig

kerraig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cool thanks.

The only problem with that is the shop I bought it from is 300 miles away :(

6. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If they're an authorised dealer you could ask them to ask your local dealer if they'd assist. They certainly should offer some kind of after sales care, no matter how far away you live (assuming it's within the same country).

7. kerraig

kerraig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, i'll give it a try.

If anybody on here has had any such problems could they let me know what they did to solve it.

Thanks again.

8. kerraig

kerraig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I just spoke to the shop and they were very helpful. they said that i i leave the set unplugged (not just on standby) for a few hours then when i restart it should fully degauss itself. if this doesn't work they will send an engineer to my address. So there you go, I heartily recommend Sound & Vision in Bolton.

9. colesy

colesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I had a simliar problem with my 36pb50. The bottom left hand corner had a magenta tint. In the workshop they found the tube had gone in all four corners. They replaced the tube, as I was more than happy with the rest of the set.......but when I had it it had noise problems with some interference.
    So back to the worksop.two tuners modules were diagnosed as the NEW fault.
    When I had it back again, the interference problem was still there.
    A module (think was d.s.p) was taken away for re-flowing with solder.
    Engineer cam back.,,,,,,,,great I thought. He fitted it then a nasty smell of burning appeared in my front room.
    So back went the TV........and it has remained there for two weeks.
    All this has been done via a PAnny service centre....they are great but I think I bought a lemon.

The company who I bought it will not accept it back beacuse it has nearly everything replaced in it, unless I give them 100 squids.

Sorry for the rant but to help you out, send it back and buy a LOEWE. Or get the tube replaced.

10. kerraig

kerraig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    christ, thats quite a scary story.

Oh, well, back it goes today as the unplugging trick didn't work.