1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PANNY 100 and CAM AUDIO DVD 55

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by browsking, May 14, 2003.

1. browsking

browsking
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought Panny 100 and was looking around for a cheap prog scan dvd player. Found what I reckon is a great little player for 150 quid. Plays anything (so they say) prog scan (a must for the panny i have learnt in the first week of pj ownership). Build qaulity of dvd seems great and picture is ten time better than lg dvd 3200 I had rigged up to test.

2. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi have you tested the dvd 55
    i am looking to get the Cambridge Audio DVD57 (Multi-region) same as the 55 but plays audio dvd's
    or buy a hk dvd25

3. browsking

browsking
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have only tried out the dvd 55 with the pj playing r2 dvd. Continue to use my lg 3200e for the tv. Very pleased with dvd 55 and panyy 100 together linked with cam audio pearl cables at 30 quid for four from richer sounds in norwich (you only need three but they only sell in pairs) if you want me to try something specific let me know and if my set up allows ill try it and post the results.

4. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi
    i use a computer as my dvd player. do you think it will be worth geting a dvd55 or dvd75 ,is the picture that much better

5. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    I can only say it depends. :)

If you're using a Radeon card then, then the PC will produce a sharper image, and better scaling, but may also show up any artefacts and background noise if your white and black levels haven't been set properly. Even then, you can't reduce the sharpness easily (Zoom and ffdshow notwithstanding) to reduce the noise.

I was using a htpc with my Davis DLS8, and the picture was a big improvement over a standalone player.

I then got an HT1000, and found that a good DVD player could produce a smoother more 'creamy' image with little or no background noise, which made the image look more solid to me. So, although it was less detailed, it had less artefacts and backround noise, and look more filmlike I supose.

However, after much fiddling with Zoom player and various filters, I eventualy found that PowerDVD 4 has a similar image to a high end DVD player, and yet still seems to have the detail of the Zoom combination or WindDVD 4.

I've now installed Girder, and can use my old Samsung 709 remote contol to operate it like a standalone player, which in my case is more convenient.

PDVD4 seems to have far less background noise the WinDVD does (I did a back to back of scenes from the Matrix and other films), and with it's creamyer image, I'm thinking of sticking with htpc and waiting before I get a new player. It looks like there's going to be a plethora of new PAL progressive scan players coming out soon, so getting one now may be premature.

I don't think there's a player out there that can match a htpc for detail, but the software player can bring out unwanted elements which may spoil the image for you.

I had a 57 and took it back, interlaced Image was too soft, and there were issues with progressive...

HTH

Gary.

6. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    I got a DVD 55 and the p-scan image on mine is pretty poor - ghosting and blurred. Using the exact same component cable, the p-scan image on my XBox is fab, so it must be the DVD player.

I can't recommend them. The interlaced image is very good tho, and they are cheap. But I guess you really do get what you pay for :/

7. browsking

browsking
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I must admit to mixed results with panny 100 and dvd 55 using prog scan. I have found that on dvd such as shrek and monsters inc i get top notch results however with, for example 'the great escape' the picture is jagged and blocky and much better results can be obtained using inter-scan. Does anyone know if this is to do with the source material and maybee the way the image is layed onto the dvd in the first place?. Obviously dvd such as shrek has original digital source........or am i clutching at straws?:confused: