1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pannie AE200 - I really need help setting the picture up.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Tempest, Jan 22, 2004.

1. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,321
    I won't bore you with all the how I got here story. Suffice to say I'm now at the stage where I have my PC with it's Radeon 9600 projecting via my Pannie AE200 onto my Blackout material screen.

My problems are the picture settings.

As any Pannie owners are aware, we have a series of presets including Dynamic, Cinema1, Cinema2, Normal, and music I think?

First, I suppose I don't know which one is right. Just pick one you like I hear you say, well fair enough.........

What I don't understand, is this:

To my eyes:

Normal looks ok (ish) just a bit dull
    Cinema1 and 2 look like someones turned up the DULL filter! and put red to maximum setting
    Music (I think that's what it's called) looks resonable
    Dynamic looks WAY WAY better than any or the above, but perhaps just a bit OTT on some scenes.

For a Pixar animated film, Dynamic looks the business I reckon, everythings bright, clear, sharp and colourfull.

However, on some live action stuff, some bright areas can be bleached out (if you like) and loose detail.

Trouble is going away from Dynamic the picture appears to be so lifeless I'm reluctant to change from it.

First I guess I'm not sure how the Pannie is making these modes. I mean is it just a pre defined setting of colour/balance/brightness type thing, or is if doing some different electronic processing to get the modes ?

I'm wondering if I need to start from one of these modes and manually adjust the settings to get to a resonable correct level. problem is I don't know what a correct level would be.
    I don't know if it's a particular DVD that looks a bit iffy, or the projector needs adjusting.

Like tonight I had shrek running in dynamic, looked excellent, bright, detailed, clear, a real one to show off with.

I then changed to charlies angels 2, and the colour was way OTT and looked pretty bad.

I admit I do like an image with a bit of punch to it.

I can't understand why anyone would say they liked the Cinama modes. They just look like low contrast mixed with red up high.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,321
    As a slight follow up, I was slighty supprised how little the RGB white balance adjusters made to the picture.
    I guess I was expecting if you turned say the green up to max it would be a REALLY green image, but I'd say it's quite subtle really.

I know there are calibration DVD's out there (which many seem to have great trouble using)
    I'm wondering if projecting some kinda image from the PC would be resonable for setting up also.

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Assuming the 200 is like my 300 was, and similar to the Z2 I have now, all those modes do is select from preset values of Brightness, Contrast etc. instead of you setting them yourself.

'Normal' IIRC simply sets them all to 0, the rest boot some and cut others. I've no idea how they chose the names, or indeed how they came to the view that a certain combination of settings was more appropriate for watching music videos than another set.

Ultimately it's down to personal choice, since the quality of source material is so varied there really isn't a one-size-fits-all solution. All I do is use Avia to calibrate the basics, ie. Contrast, Brightness and a few others, twiddle Gamma until I'm happy (albeit it's probably 'wrong' from a technical PoV) and then sit back and enjoy ... if it ain't how it 'should be' then I'm none the wiser. :)

I too used to flick around the mode setting but in the end went back to Normal and Avia.

4. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Tempest,

I use default settings in Powerdvd, default settings in Radeon control panel, "Normal" setting on aE100 - recognise that there are more option on the AE200, would advise "Normal" - adjust brightness contrast and sharpness with Avia, and adjust R,G and B white balance to compensate for Hoya FLD filter.

This produces a vibrant but "unprocessed" image, if you know what I mean. Ymmv.

Sean G.

Sean G.

5. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,321
    Thank's for that.

Does it matter if I get Region 1 or 2 Avia ?

6. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Tempest,

Avia is region free, it's NTSC but you should have no probs playing on your PC. Check ou the powerbuy section.....

Sean G.

7. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,321
    Again cheers for that.
    I have seen it advertized as Region 1 USA and Canada but guess someone has their wires crossed there then. (or poss cos it's NTSC)

Probably will have to get a copy, though feels a bit ott for what I need.