Pannasonic TX-P42G20 or TX-P42S20

dirge

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at the new Panny range and can't decide which I should go for. Not aware of anywhere in the Newcastle Area I can demo them and see them in action.

My previous panel was a Panny PHD8 bought via this site and its PowerBuys section. Loved it, don't have it anymore unfortunatly.:facepalm:

It's the Freeview HD that appeals, as I'd imagine thats it for built in tuners, this should be the last one anyone really needs in the UK. Pontop Pike Transmitter starts Freeview HD this month.

TX-P42G20 = £1049
TX-P42S20 = £779

So thats nearly £300 more for the G over the S. I just can't justify in my head why I should shell out more for the G, and maybe someone here could argue me around?

Originally I wanted a 32" for the space, however after reading it seems that LCD really hasn't caught up to the standard Plasma. Only the 42" Panny plasmas seem to have the Freeview HD built in and 1080p. So I've argued to my other half that we need to accept a compromise on size and that bigger is really the only sensible choice.

It's for a bedroom also and if anyone has suggestions/experiance on wall brackets I'd love to hear it. The TV will be placed on a brick wall in the corner of the room and rather high up. So Tilting down and the ability to turn 45 degrees to the side are requirements.

I am in your same boat for the 50". On the Panasonic website it says it has the same G13 panel. The S series is lacking many features such as USB recording, VIERA CAST, DNLA support and the THX certification in addition to freesat.
If you do not plan to use the above and the panel gives the same quality you could opt for the S
In my case I have a SKY HD box as recorder, I do not plan to use the DNLA features as I have an AppleTv with XBMC, the VIERA CAST features do not appeal to me, the only one feature I like is the THX settings.
There is a difference of £250 between the two models once I see a review and confirm the actual display quality is the same I will be happy to settle on the S series however my concern is that the video processing chipset inside the G series is lower quality and the actual performance of the S series with SD tv is worse. I do not watch much of that so not a big problem but I have to say the SKY HD Box SD content looks better on SCART as the box itself is crap with SD processing

I'd go with the G20 because the of THX near perfect calibration setting. :D

But with a little effort couldn't anyone change the settings to match those THX ones? I think I saw a Interview video on this site with Panasonic that the screen callibration options would be put back into these sets.

If the S20 uses the same tech and has favourable performance to that of the G20 I would be quite keen on saving £200 and getting the S20. I think that I could live without THX calibration and the extra features such as USB recording.

Could avforums do a review of the S20 when it is released please?

Cheers
Alex

But with a little effort couldn't anyone change the settings to match those THX ones? I think I saw a Interview video on this site with Panasonic that the screen callibration options would be put back into these sets.

Not without something to calibrate against or paying for calibration equipment, rental or someone to do it for you.

Personally I'll be twitchy about buying anything Panasonic again after the way they've handled the issues with the G10/V10 series screens.

I don't think that this is correct. Whatever the model number of the panel it's the same as the G10, not the G20, V20 and VT20. Have a watch of this video, the S20 is described at 1m 50s.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/video-productions/1200546-panasonic-plasma-launch-2010-a.html

HTH

Of course I am not just talking out of the blue

If you go to the Viera website Specifications / Dimensions | S series -Plasma TV | PRODUCT | 2010 EU | VIERA | Plasma&LCD TV | Panasonic Global
you can see for yourself that both the G and S series sport the SAME panel
Panel G13 Progressive Full-HD Plasma Display Panel with Tough Panel

The infinite black is a filter implementation not a feature of the panel itself but of the underlying software

Interceptor121 said:

If you go to the Viera website Specifications / Dimensions | S series -Plasma TV | PRODUCT | 2010 EU | VIERA | Plasma&LCD TV | Panasonic Global

The infinite black is a filter implementation not a feature of the panel itself but of the underlying software
Regardless of what's on the website this is what Panasonic themselves said of the two sets. I can see why you have come to the conclusion you did, but the guy is pretty clear in his descriptions of what you are getting with regards to the panel in each. Infinite black or filters do not come into this - lets just focus on the panel so not to confuse.

S20 "...the same panel as G10 for this year's product. We increased the contrast ratio and reduced the power consumption..."

G20 "...brand new evolution of the neo-pdp panel with a brand new filter..."

Last edited:

That's a Panasonic Global web site and not country specific. The US S20 has same panel as the G20, but not in the UK, as last poster says.
G20 has Infinite Black, 5,000,000:1 Native contrast, better filter than the S10, Viera Cast, ..... Freeview HD, Freesat HD... THX mode (and no you cant dial this into the S20 to get the same results) . Read the review in the review section of this web site.

That is the VIERA EUROPE product line up not US. Do you really think a global brand produces two products with the same series differently in two continents anyway? Of course not.

There could be an error on their website most likely but definitely such a difference in the country offering. That is only the freesat HD or not nothing else

Last edited:
That's lcd though ... Much prefer a plasma screen...

I have got both the S & G in 42" on display ( Demo ) and there is a world of difference in the picture quality ! well worth the extra and with the free 5 year guarantee its a unbeatable package .

I can only suggest that the OP should find a store nearby and look .

That is the VIERA EUROPE product line up not US. Do you really think a global brand produces two products with the same series differently in two continents anyway? Of course not.

But still Panasonic does. US S-series are superior to S-series from other regions. also Panasonic prices its TVs much higher outside US.

If you compare the G20 and S20 on the Panasonic UK website using the link below the main differences seem to be the G20 has a 'High Contrast Filter' as well as 'Infinite Black'. The G20 also hae 'Vreal Pro 5' compared to the 'Vreal Pro 4' on the S20 - which I think would make quite a difference?

Products - Compare Products - UK & Ireland

So, if the website is indeed correct does that mean that overall PQ should be quite similar on the 2 sets? It is just that the G20 will have better blacks? OR Is the 'Vreal Pro 5' the real difference?

Cheers
Alex

I have got both the S & G in 42" on display ( Demo ) and there is a world of difference in the picture quality ! well worth the extra and with the free 5 year guarantee its a unbeatable package .

I can only suggest that the OP should find a store nearby and look .

Do you think the same will apply to the G & the V? I am torn as to buy the G now or wait and have a look at the 50" V. I saw the G series yesterday albeit in Currys, in not the best environment and I was really impressed. This is the first Plasma I'll be buying having a Sony 40" LCD and I want the best "bang for my buck". 50" is essential and price wise they both fit in my budget. So going back to my opening question do you think there is going to be a massive difference between the G & V??

Sorry to hijack the thread, thanks for your help.

The "G" series & the "V" series are very similar in technical specs ( there is a big difference in style of cabinet ) V will have infinite black pro . But G is quite a fair bit cheaper than V circa £200 cheaper :)

Has anyone else managed to compare the S20 and G20 side by side yet? :D

So, if the website is indeed correct does that mean that overall PQ should be quite similar on the 2 sets? It is just that the G20 will have better blacks? OR Is the 'Vreal Pro 5' the real difference?

Cheers
Alex
V Real Pro 5 gives you much better SD PQ with improved scaling (read the review on this site)

"The smallest details of SD sources are preserved and are presented on-screen without blurring or ringing. The resulting clarity is very close indeed to products using the high-end HQV scaling chip (seen in some AV receivers and premium Blu-ray Disc players).

G20 filter improves black levels and reduces reflections (especially in brighter rooms). Very obvious when you view in the shops.

And THX mode is the icing on the cake, spot on colours out of the box.

Yea read that but that is just 1 opinion. Was just wondering if anyone else has had a chance to compare :)

Hve compared them side by side and the extra £200 for the G20 is £200 very well spent. Big step forward in picture and features.

Guess I'll have to stop being cheap and go for the G20 then :smashin:

Well i have the same question just as you guys but i have to choose between 50S20 or 46G20. 50G20 is out of the question because of the price - 1700 euros for g20 vs 1300 for s20 (in Romania).

I was at a demo today to test 42G20 and 42S20. Unfortunatelly they were not side by side but i was able to notice that if there are differences they are subtle and i think the cinematic impact given by the larger screen compensates the slight increase of quality given by the g20. I am happy that i am amongst the ones that don't see any flicker in the image.

Anyway, the image was spectacular from both models. Considering the fact that S20 is an evolution of G10 (it had excelent reviews) i hope i will make a good decision.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom