1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pannasonic TH37PW5 HDMI compliant?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by martycooluk, Mar 16, 2005.

1. martycooluk

martycooluk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

I have two questions - your expertise is appreciated!

I currently use my Panasonic TH37PW5 screen with the RCA terminal board which lets me have an S-Video, component input and composite input (think the composite and s-video is shared).

Can i remove this one board and insert two different smaller boards? - i.e a component/or scart board plus an HDMI terminal board to get the best picture quality in the future? - is my screen even compatible with an HDMI connection? Also if any one can point me in the direction of a good explanation of HDMI it would be appreciated as i am somewhat confused - for instance is HDMI similar to DVI-D?? - sorry if this is a stupid question.

Secondly does any one else have a TH37PW5 screen? - I caught my neice (4 years old) playing with the control - she had acciedentally changed all the picture settings (contrast, brightness + the advanced features) and now i just cant seem to get the picture back to how it was - im sure this is not my imagination - i would be interested to know what settings any one else has on theirs so i can try to adjust mine .

Thanks in advance, your help is appreciated

Marty

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,217
    not HDCP/HDMI but there decives that convert HDMI with HDCP to VGA so may (needs to be trialled) work on your PW5...as for settings they vary from panel to panel but ISF calibration will do wonders for the screen... see www.homecinemaengineering.com for more info

3. martycooluk

martycooluk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply horny dragon,

On tha av sales site they have an HDMI terminal board for a Panasonic Plasma - i think its the TH42PWD6.

Would it still not accept an HDMI signal even if i had an HDMI terminal board?
    Maybe that particular terminal board is only for the TH42PW6 and not my TH37PW5?

Marty

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,217
    the HDMI board is for 7 series only and cant handle 720p or 1080i @50hz

5. martycooluk

martycooluk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh - ok, i understand.

If i use an HDMI to VGA converter - would that mean that i can have a total of three devices inputing into my Panny?

For example at the moment i have my SKY box connected via the S-Video or composite (shared) connection on the RCA terminal board and also have my Sony DVD player connected to the Component input on the same board. If i inputed the DVD player into the VGA port (which is not on the board) via a converter - i assume i can still use the component for another device (i.e DivX player)? i.e the VGA and component connection is not shared?

Thanks again for your help

Marty

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,217
    correct you have 3 discret inputs one VGA (RGBHV) S-video and Component......
    For good PQ boost try JS RGB>VGA converter for Sky and use S-video for something else........

7. Slartibart

Slartibart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hornydragon Sir ,i would welcome your input
    i am very interested in the panny 7 from Av sales
    I currently watch sky through a JS RGB>component convertor and have a pioneer 868avi dvd player with Hdmi output.
    Would you think the best 2 boards would be
    1..Component Video - RCA
    2.... HDMI
    i note the Hdmi input is not Hdcp compliant
    what differance does that make to (a) the dvd player now and (b) Sky HD next year
    Finally
    I note av sales have a PHD7 at aprox 800 more than PWD7
    is this worth the extra
    Many thanks

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,940
    martycooluk

01. HDMI is no guarantee of visual nirvana.

02. There is NO HDMI compatible Input Board for your Display.

03. HDMI is designed to be a Copy Protected all Digital interconnection. As ever there are folk out to 'break' the Copy Protection and there are (as Horny says) boxes on the market already (though they are technically illegal!).

04. You need a rewire never mind HDMI - your system is not well configured at present. I'd 'take five' and work out what sources you plan to retain and add to your system over the next year or so and then start afresh - consider how your AV Receiver could be used as a central hub for your sources when working out your requirements.

05. Set up - lots of options from a simple 'self tune up' using a suitable Test DVD (sub £15.00 from the Power Buy section) or enlist a professional (once your system has been reconfigured) and see what you've been missing for around £250.00.

Best regards

Joe

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,217
    HDMI board is HDCP compliant, dosent handle 720p and 1080i @ 50Hz...........you have the wrong DVD player for a Panny its designed and matched to the Pio XDE screens..... the PHD7 is definately worth the extra.......i would go for the DVi board its more flexible but still no 720p or 1080i @50Hz.

10. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,940
    Horny

I'd have to disagree on this one - the DV-868AVi and TY-42TM6DB DVI Board are not a good match; the EDID controller in the DVI Board causes the DVD player to go nuts.

Better to go with the TY-FB7HM HDMI Board - it accepts the exact same range of Input signals as the DVI Board and works with the DV-868AVi at 480p(60), 576P(50) and 720P(60).

Joe

11. Slartibart

Slartibart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks horny
    i was going to have the pio xde however you and MAW's informed anal have put
    me off these screens
    In what way is the Dvi board more flexible

12. Slartibart

Slartibart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also read your indepth anal of nec,pio panny etc this is all very good stuff.
    After 4 months of lurking i am only now begining to follow some of the more detailed threads . you , Maw Gorden and the like realy are to be congratulated on the amount of work you put in .
    Thank you all

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,217
    True
    (wouldnt pair the 868i with Panny in the first place...better of with Denon 2900 or similar) the ideal is to add a scaler to the system (I really dont like these Upscaling DVD players, or HDMI for DVD but thats me)
    For a scaler the DVi board is a better choice but as joe says the HDMI board will work better with HDMI board........I am not "big" on Pio kit where Joe is, and my"analysis" was/is based on experience....of which more has been Panny/Fujitsu orientated........

14. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,940
    Hello both

Keep in mind the Pioneer DV-868AVi has the ability to Output 480i(60) and 576i(50) via HDMI so is a great 'transport' if you pair it with an external Video Processor - whereas the Denon only outputs 480P(60), 576P(50) or 720P(60) via HDMI/DVI.

Best regards

Joe

15. Slartibart

Slartibart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you saying Joe that a scaler of some sort would still benefit a pio 435XDE.
    If so is the improvement great over the JS conv RGB>component i already have.

Also have you any opinion of the silver speakers that come with the Pio.
    I realise not the same as the full kit,however in my lounge i already have a pio ax5ai
    running Kef KHT 5005 and a Sony HS50 Proj.
    But the shape of the lounge being very long means that the speakers are in completely
    the wrong position to connect to the plasma.
    regards
    slarti

16. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,940
    Hello slarti

The JS Technology RGB2YUV converter is not required if you have an XDE PlasmaTV - the XDE Media Box has RGB enabled SCART sockets so best to connect the Digibox direct and not via the YUV converter.

The XDE can be improved by adding in an external Processor - its a slightly ham fisted combination as you can only Input 720P signals to the Media Box via its HDMI socket; in an ideal world you'd be wanting to input a 1024x768P signal to completely bypass the Media Box processing but that simply wont work in this case.

For TV viewing the undermount speakers are good enough - you can even add in an external sub if you wish.

Another option would be to get the PlasmaTV on a tall pedestal stand and slip a Yamaha YSP-1 Digital Sound Projector below it; not as good as your current 5:1 set up but pretty convincing.

Best regards

Joe

17. Slartibart

Slartibart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Was i mistaken in thinking the JS convertor actualy improved the rgb signal into component not just changed the connection type and thus making a better input selection than RGB Scart.
    I had only just discovered about the sub could double wire the KEf and i will investigate the Yamaha option.
    I was hoping to reserve the Hdmi input for both Sky Hd and my current 868 dvd
    This could all get quite complicated .
    I told the wife i was only getting a new record player

Many thanks

18. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,217
    the improvement will not be that big if you see one at all (which you may) a Scaler will benefit the Pio 435XDE but at £800+ not a cheap option, suggest you try for a home demonstartion to see the possible difference, one area that may be imporved is the fact that the analogue input on the Pio are limited and not the best. The improved processing of the Scaler and connecting to the HDMI input some gains a
    can be made.

19. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,940
    slarti - you got it in one; you cant 'improve' on the RGB signal. The YUV converter is simply there for convenience when RGB is not an option.

No worries if you end up with more than one HDMI equipped source - though your Bank account will have to cover the cost of an HDMI or DVI with HDCP switcher; we have 2:1, 4:1, 5:1 and 2:2 switchers installed already in many systems.

And keep in mind an external Processor is also likely to have more than one Digital input - the Lumagen VisionDVI has Two HDCP enabled Inputs.

Best regards

Joe

PS Is the new turntable HDCP compliant :)