Panic Mode Trolling

wolfie138

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Does anyone else get trolled into a panic mode by some DVDs, thinking their lovely new/expensive TV is failing?
I got my E6V back in July and after a few weeks i noticed a faint burn-in on the screen - right in the centre and, of course, after spotting it i couldn't NOT see it. ended up w/ a replacement, and then spent a good few films looking for faults rather than enjoying them.
Fast forward to putting on "Buried" - and on my TV,it was effing awful. the dark was just total noise and showed horrendous banding, so of course that set me off again, swapping discs like a loon and trying to see if something was actually there, or it was the disc. it was the disc.
Fast forward to "In the line of fire", and there's a dark smudge in some nice blue sky - panic, then realised it's not a burn-in/fault, just old film/lens quality.
Fast forward again to this week, "The eye". great for 60 of the 90 mins, then in a dark scene i notice a bright spot right at the very bottom right corner of the screen - a group of 8 or 9 pixels glowing white. watched for a few more mins, and the right side of the screen was showing vertical aberrations; slightly off colour and a white line down the very edge etc. Panic mode, swapped for another disc, no more edge faults or glowy pixels. never seen that kinda thing before, where the pixels were right at the screen edge, way below the letterbox area of the film itself, but there you go - troll disc again.
Love this TV to bits, but damn i can do w/out the stress! :-D

Does anyone else get trolled into a panic mode by some DVDs, thinking their lovely new/expensive TV is failing?
I got my E6V back in July and after a few weeks i noticed a faint burn-in on the screen - right in the centre and, of course, after spotting it i couldn't NOT see it. ended up w/ a replacement, and then spent a good few films looking for faults rather than enjoying them.
Fast forward to putting on "Buried" - and on my TV,it was effing awful. the dark was just total noise and showed horrendous banding, so of course that set me off again, swapping discs like a loon and trying to see if something was actually there, or it was the disc. it was the disc.
Fast forward to "In the line of fire", and there's a dark smudge in some nice blue sky - panic, then realised it's not a burn-in/fault, just old film/lens quality.
Fast forward again to this week, "The eye". great for 60 of the 90 mins, then in a dark scene i notice a bright spot right at the very bottom right corner of the screen - a group of 8 or 9 pixels glowing white. watched for a few more mins, and the right side of the screen was showing vertical aberrations; slightly off colour and a white line down the very edge etc. Panic mode, swapped for another disc, no more edge faults or glowy pixels. never seen that kinda thing before, where the pixels were right at the screen edge, way below the letterbox area of the film itself, but there you go - troll disc again.
Love this TV to bits, but damn i can do w/out the stress! :-D
I've seen that edge and it might be to do with pixel Shift in menu

I wouldn't even watch DVD's on my OLED - Far too low res.

Blu-rays (Standard or 4K UHD) only

I've seen that edge and it might be to do with pixel Shift in menu
not looked into that TBH so i honestly don't know what i'm set as, but any reason why it might just happen on one disc though?

not looked into that TBH so i honestly don't know what i'm set as, but any reason why it might just happen on one disc though?
Is it a line a few pixels long all over the bottom of the screen intermittent

Seriously though, you are 'upscaling' something that would take up about 1/20th of your screen

resolutions-ultra-hd-4k-1080p-720p-dvd.png

Seriously though, you are 'upscaling' something that would take up about 1/20th of your screen

resolutions-ultra-hd-4k-1080p-720p-dvd.png
Have to say I agree, haven't played a dvd in years.

I would not suggest to throw away your dvd collection; however, due to the amount of upscaling the TV has to do, you are going to see anomalies. My suggestion would be to do any testing on a blu ray or uhd disc.

Whilst I understand that you had a bad experience with the original TV, burn in generally becomes an issue when watching static images for long periods which i am pretty sure you know already.

A lot of interesting content never gets an HD release.

I'm currently watching "The Orville" on Fox and loving it. Checked Amazon US and a DVD release is listed - this for a show broadcast in 2017!

I never panic about my TV, I always just assume it's the content.

so just to revisit this - is it the upscaling issue that causes some stupid anomalies or the coding, or what? i was watching Boogie Nights [poundland DVD] the other night, and started getting agitated again cos there was a block of image on the left that was noticeably darker. then last night i tried another poundland purchase, Backdraft, and not only did that not auto-fill the screen size, there was a 2" strip down the left again that was noticeably lighter, so i just turned it off. i've literally watched dozens and dozens of DVDs from all ages and there only seems to be about 1% that suddenly throw up visual issues like this so surely it can't JUST be the upscaling?

I dumped over 100 DVD's in the bin last month. I don't regret it as they offer nothing on a 4K oled.

I still buy the odd Blu-ray and have a large collection of them but my most recent buys have all been 4K DV titles on the AppleTV4K.

so just to revisit this - is it the upscaling issue that causes some stupid anomalies or the coding, or what? i was watching Boogie Nights [poundland DVD] the other night, and started getting agitated again cos there was a block of image on the left that was noticeably darker. then last night i tried another poundland purchase, Backdraft, and not only did that not auto-fill the screen size, there was a 2" strip down the left again that was noticeably lighter, so i just turned it off. i've literally watched dozens and dozens of DVDs from all ages and there only seems to be about 1% that suddenly throw up visual issues like this so surely it can't JUST be the upscaling?

Wolfie - DVD picture quality can vary dramatically compared to HD or UHD.

I've got the "Jonathan Creek" Box Set (BBC) and it's basically VHS on disc. I've only kept it because it was cheap and I like the stories. In contrast, the reboot of "Thunderbirds" (ITV) is absolutely tremendous and is shockingly close to HD. And all this being upscaled on a 65" OLED.

If there's an HD equivalent then get that. If it's only available on DVD but virtually unbearable to watch, then just get rid and spare yourself the pain!

Wolfie - DVD picture quality can vary dramatically compared to HD or UHD.

I've got the "Jonathan Creek" Box Set (BBC) and it's basically VHS on disc. I've only kept it because it was cheap and I like the stories. In contrast, the reboot of "Thunderbirds" (ITV) is absolutely tremendous and is shockingly close to HD. And all this being upscaled on a 65" OLED.

If there's an HD equivalent then get that. If it's only available on DVD but virtually unbearable to watch, then just get rid and spare yourself the pain!

yeah, i'm learning that! just binned Backdraft and am starting to learn not to panic and think my panel's going belly up but it's hard not to fret when you spot that vertical strip of colour difference :-D

oddly/annoyingly, i've just started to be a lot more aware of posterization on blurays, not everything but about 3 discs in a row now i've noticed some banding in certain colour gradients.

what the fudge is a dvd

Defo this. I haven't watched a DVD in years. I have a box full in the garage. They will be going to a charity shop/ in the bin at some point. Some aren't even opened.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom