Panels or tv's ?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by blahblah, Mar 26, 2006.

1. blahblah

blahblah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Please could someone put me straight.Am I right in believing that a panel is something you must plug a freeview/ sky box in to watch tele and if you didn't,you wouldn't get a picture? I am thinking of getting the new panny 42" which I understand comes with a freeview box built in (as most do I believe) but I have sky therefore making this function redundant.Is there a conflict when the 2 are running together and if I'm not going to use it, would the money saved(don't know how much extra this function costs) be better spent on a straightforward panel:confused:

2. p203557

p203557

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Panels (panasonic anyway) come with only a VGA input as standard which (except for the 7 series) can accept component over VGA with the right lead. For extra inputs you must buy boards and a 42" panel can have three boards. These boards cover most inputs ie scart, component, dvi, hdmi, composite etc. You are correct that a panel will have no tuner and will need connecting to a freeview box or sky to display tv. Have a look on www.av-sales.co.uk as they do both TV's and panels.

A quick search of this forum will bring loads of info on panels vs tv's. But basically its thought that if you don't need a tuner (ie have sky or freeview already) and don't need sound (ie have a sound setup already) then a panel is the way to go as all the money is put into the display and none of the manufacturers budget goes on duplication of sound and tuners. There are of course the styling and other factors to consider as well. Theres plenty to read, good luck. By the way running sky through a plasma TV with inbuilt tuner shouldn't throw up any conflicts.

HTH

Richard

3. blahblah

blahblah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Thanks for that.Hadn't considered the sound aspect of a panel.Food for thought

4. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    always seems a shame to me to have a big screen and not have surround.

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Not to mention that once you've used a decent sound system, no TV speakers sound right. The news music in pro logic 2 is a revelation!

6. g852

g852

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Am i right in thinking that the panels, (panny anyway) has speaker terminals with an on board amp, so you can use two speakers with the panel, if you don't want to use surround sound.....

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Absolutely right. We do that a lot in boardrooms and such, we often run ceiling speakers from the on board amp in a basic corporate install, no reasonwhy not at home either. Any 8 ohm speakers will work, but use ones that are easy to drive, there's not that much power.