Panel refresh rates

RobMcM

In the market for a new TV, looking around for a decent 55” screen that doesn’t break the bank. Not got any 4K / HDR sources at the moment - mainly 1080p, including from an HTPC which also streams PC games - but would consider a UHD BR player at a later date. Budget around £600, and we have been an unashamedly Samsung family over the past 10 years.

Currently considering these as examples:

Sony KD55X70
Samsung TU8000

I’m finding I am getting concerned about the 50hz panel that I think these screens contain. What impact does that have on using the HTPC to play games at 60fps? Can these panels display 60fps / 1080p60 or do they do a horrible conversion and cause a load of judder? And what about 24p - can they display that at native refresh rates too?

Dodgexander

60hz panel is a 60hz panel. If its the true panel refresh rate its not a made up figure. But of course TVs that use a 60hz panel are not going to be as smooth as ones with 120hz panels. It matters mainly for video and for perfectly matching 24fps to a multiple of 120 but some TVs nowadays can also accept a 120hz signal if your sources support it.

The limiting factor when choosing a TV for you though will be price. £600 isn't really a good figure to spend on a TV. You're better off spending less and going for a cheaper low range model (which will match the picture quality of the two TVs you linked) or spending more and going for something a bit more premium such as the Sony XH9505 or Hisense U8Q.

My advice would be to stick with what you have until you can spend more, since HDR creates its own set of problems when being used on a TV without adequate HDR hardware. Should all be explained in the guides here:
What impact does that have on using the HTPC to play games at 60fps
There's no such thing as a 50hz TV. Every TV that is 50hz is actually 60.
And what about 24p - can they display that at native refresh rates too?
Depends on the TV. Some 60hz TVs can, some can only do it from external sources and not with built in apps and some can't do it at all. If you want to reduce the chances of seeing stutter or judder on a TV you are best looking instead for a TV using a 120hz panel...which unfortunately raises the budget somewhat.

RobMcM

Thanks so much! I I’d seen the guides you linked to - such comprehensive info, love your work and this forum - but couldn’t wrap my head around the 50hz thing that’s quoted all over the specs.

I suppose my next step is to see whether the kind of TVs mentioned in the guide - either on budget, cheaper or more expensive - represent significant improvements over what we already have (a 2013 40” FHD Samsung F6670). There’s not much chance we could consider really mid/high end - very much in the budget market - but moving to a bigger house so 40” will just be swamped.

Lots to think about! Thanks again!

Dodgexander

There's not much improvement at all over the TVs you are considering and your current model. Best sticking with what you have.

TVs in Europe can refresh at 50 or 100hz and its still advertised that way due to PAL frame rate standards. In Europe broadcast TV is 50fps/25fps compared to 30/60 in America.. so TVs have to match, or be a multiple of that. They all have a native refresh rate of 60/120 though so I'm not sure why they keep advertising 50/100.

RobMcM

There's not much improvement at all over the TVs you are considering and your current model. Best sticking with what you have.
That’s probably true if size isn’t taken into account. But I can’t help but think that the (very) small size of the current screen and the fact that it’s going to be moving to a much bigger room mean I definitely see a need to move to a bigger screen size, and I know my wife thinks so too...

It’s tough to know quite what to do, but I do appreciate your thoughts!

Dodgexander

If you are using good quality sources they will look better on a bigger TV, but at the cost of the poorer quality ones looking worse. 55" is actually pretty small today, with 65" being more popular, and even 65" and 75".

Can you fit/afford a low tier 65" such as the Hisense 65U7Q?

RobMcM

If you are using good quality sources they will look better on a bigger TV, but at the cost of the poorer quality ones looking worse. 55" is actually pretty small today, with 65" being more popular, and even 65" and 75".

Can you fit/afford a low tier 65" such as the Hisense 65U7Q?
Honestly I’m not sure! The current occupiers of the house we are moving to, who are also friends of ours, have a 55” in the space already, and (from memory) it looks to be the right size. I’ve got to keep space either side for speakers too, plus I’m really not sure the budget stretches to 65”.

We are going round again at the weekend so I’ll take a tape measure and see what’s what.

Cheers!

Honestly I’m not sure! The current occupiers of the house we are moving to, who are also friends of ours, have a 55” in the space already, and (from memory) it looks to be the right size. I’ve got to keep space either side for speakers too, plus I’m really not sure the budget stretches to 65”.

We are going round again at the weekend so I’ll take a tape measure and see what’s what.

Cheers!
If they are friends. then ask for a mates discount on the house towards a new TV fund.

RobMcM

If they are friends. then ask for a mates discount on the house towards a new TV fund.
Already got that! It’s a steal!

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom