• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Panel lottery ?

larkone

Distinguished Member
OK I give up, what is it?

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
Well 10 years ago........!

Sony in particular and some other manufacturers sourced their VA panels from 2 different suppliers. Samsung or AUO. There was strong evidence that in some models either would be fitted acording to availability with the former being preferred. There was also as I remember a claimed technology difference with the Samsung panels being S-PVA and the AUO panels being A-MVA. It was claimed that you could discern the difference using a magnifying glass?! The lottery was that you could not find out which panel your TV had until after it was delivered.

I get the impression that with reports of Samsung ceasing production of LCD based panels including QLED and outsourcing them to third parties under licence in favour of their 2022 launch of a "Super" variant of direct LED technology, that maybe this "lottery" saga may be repeating itself?

desinho

I get the impression that with reports of Samsung ceasing production of LCD based panels including QLED and outsourcing them to third parties under licence in favour of their 2022 launch of a "Super" variant of direct LED technology, that maybe this "lottery" saga may be repeating itself?
Samsung have still been using either Samsung or AUO panels from their very first QLED models and in the years before as well different production batches from the same model, particularly lower down in the lineup, could come with different panels (sometimes even of the IPS type when earlier batches had a VA panel). Since that time Sony on the other hand have been very consistent with their panels, no lottery at all throughout the year on any of their models.

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
Samsung have still been using either Samsung or AUO panels from their very first QLED models and in the years before as well different production batches from the same model, particularly lower down in the lineup, could come with different panels (sometimes even of the IPS type when earlier batches had a VA panel). Since that time Sony on the other hand have been very consistent with their panels, no lottery at all throughout the year on any of their models.
It used to be Sony who used panels from multiple sources and I do remember that they used an IPS on one model about 9 years ago. So whose panels are Sony using nowadays?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom