Panel Life

catch'em1

Novice Member
Sorry if this sounds a bit stupid but how do manufactuers test the 60,000 (or more) hours panel life of there plasmas because i worked out that if it was on for 24 hours a day it would take 2500 days:confused:, if my calculations are right then this is just under 7 years. I do not mean to criticise anyone but i was just a bit curious and is this figure reliable?

Julie

Sorry if this sounds a bit stupid but how do manufactuers test the 60,000 (or more) hours panel life of there plasmas because i worked out that if it was on for 24 hours a day it would take 2500 days:confused:, if my calculations are right then this is just under 7 years. I do not mean to criticise anyone but i was just a bit curious and is this figure reliable?
When manufacturers say their panels have a 60,000 hours life they mean the panels have reached a stage where their brightness is half of that of when the panel was new. They only need to test the panel for a fraction of that time. measuring the brightness as they do so at set intervals. Plotted on a graph the line can then be extended to the 50% brightness mark to give the estimated panel life. Of course this is an oversimplified explanation as they use sophisticated test equipment to do all sorts of analysis during the design process but in essence that's all that is required.

Badger0-0

Yes, as said, they can extrapolate figures.
They can also turn the juice up some and simulate times. It's easy for these massive companies that have the technology.

As a simple aside and stupid thought for the day, there was an extremely strong rumour around our way in the late 70's that Dunlop (5 mins walk from me) invented a tyre that could last for 100,000 miles. It got canned. I wonder why? :)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom