Panel Alignment problem with AE100

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by popeckia, Apr 27, 2002.

1. popeckia

popeckia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have seen a number of posts on avsforum regarding colour uniformity problems which I haven't really noticed on mine, i.e. magenta and green in the corners on a grey image.

However, having finally got my pixel perfect HTPC stuff done, it became quite clear that I do have a problem with panel alignment. Basically, the red panel is exactly one pixel to the left of both the blue and green panels. As a result everything with a red component has a slight shadow to the left hand side in red. This sounds horrendous, and after all the efforts is of course quite dissapointing, but from any sensible distance is not really all that noticeable.

The effect can be seen most easily by going into the OSD service menu and cycling through the red/green/blue images on the bottom option (self check? service mode?). If you look in the corner you can see (on mine at least) that there is an extra row of red pixels on the left hand side and as such, when looking at a any white lines on the RGB input, (of course it would apply to all inputs but is just easier to see on RGB) you can see a slight red shadow to the left.

This isn't the case of the panels being slightly out of line, they are perfectly lined up with one panel exactly one pixel off to the side! Can some other people check and see if they have the same problem? :(

2. Splice

Splice
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Popeckia,
    I have seen a total of 8 of these projectors, and i have yet to see one that is not a pixel out, i am on my third AE100 now and the one i own currently is one pixel out on the blue this shows on the right side of the screen. but its not visible at viewing distance, and it does not effect the focus of the projected image imo, so not overly bothered. The first one i owned was the red panel, and it showed on the left side of the screen. And this was very visible on bright or neutral scenes on the left of the screen from any distance. i posted a picture somewhere. search under "splice" and you will find it. I sent this one back. The red panel would normally show up from any distance imo but If you can't see it, then i would live with it, if you can see it however, then take it back and get another machine. Incidentaly mine also has a very very slight sign of the uniformity problem, but again it's not visible from a viewing distance when watching DVD or Sky etc, so i will live with that also unless it gets worse (like some people say it does).....Fingers crossed, i dont wanna go through all the stress of changing it again.

All the best....Splice;)

3. mattr

mattr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I've setup my PC and used AVIA and have noticed that I have panel alignment problem too. Wouldn't it be cool if you could tell the PC to shift the green component of pixels over by one. I wonder if that would sort it out ? I wonder if there's a service mode of the PJ to allow this sort of thing too ?

Panel alignment must be fixable by opening up the PJ though. As you point out all of the units you've seen have this problem and if everything else about a unit is ok (no dead pixels, no colour uniformity problems) then tweaking something inside might be an option rather than trying another one. It's definitely something you wouldn't want to send it back for and have a service engineer 'fix' as it would almost certainly come back in worse condition (not that I'm a cynic, oh no).

Speaking of problems - people have been saying 'green' is oversaturated with this PJ. I found that blue was the problem with AVIA - I had to turn the blue 'bias' down to -19 before I could see the 'moving white bar' (that will be meaningful to those with AVIA).

Matt

4. popeckia

popeckia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll be interested to see how the AVIA stuff works out with mine once it gets here. I ordered it from dvdboxoffice which although cheap, appears to be sent over to europe by rowing boat judging by the time it takes to arrive.

I don't really understand how such an apparently basic thing could be wrong with every example of this projector! Also, as discussed above, I am working on the principle that given what else could have gone wrong, I am happy to accept this for fear of it generating new problems once "fixed".

5. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    After thinking I had a perfect model, I too have got a column of green pixels to the right (from all sources). You can see the green pixels on the right when watching films, but the picture is otherwise fine. Again, I don't want to go through the trauma that a lot of you guys have had changing it. I guess its nothing to worry about?
    I do get a slight flicker of the lamp at start up (within the first 3 minutes) but thats another story.

6. mattr

mattr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hey, mine flickers within the first 3 minutes too. And there's a nice green line down the left hand side too. I agree that the panel alignment isn't noticable until you've noticed it and then it just nags away. Like the Windows desktop looks utterly crisp until you stand about a foot away and then you see the shifted panel.

Regarding dvdboxoffice - my copy took about 4 working days from dispatch to arrive. AVIA itself is rather good. I'd use the "moving white bar within white box" screen to set RGB values too. And don't be surprised if you end up with one of them on -16.

Right, now to try and forget my panels aren't aligned ;-)

Matt

7. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +550
    Hi...

I hope i can make you feel a little better about your panel alignment "problem".

Whilst i was going through me "LCD" experimenting days( i now swing to CRTs!), i too noticed my Toshiba MT1 had one pixel width misalignment.

On researching other LCD projectors, i found nearly all three panel LCDs are made like this.

On the odd machine that had near perfect panel alignment, i found the vertical banding problem to be much worse. In fact i found the picture more pixelated and artificial.

So as long as it's only one pixel width, and it's not noticeable from normal viewing distances. Then you may find that this "problem" may in fact improve you "actual" picture!.

I was just the same as you guys, going within one inch of the screen and noticing every minor defect. I woukd spot a spec of dust and get that sinking feeling in my gut, thinking i had spotted a duff pixel. Then half an hour later when it had blown away, feeling elated again!. Ahhhh the good old days!.

The real test of "any" picture is how it's looks from the nearest normal seating distance.

Good luck......Paul

8. mattr

mattr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hey, I think you might have hit the nail on the head with that - I don't have any vertical banding at all that I can notice. So I guess having one panel shifted right (and the green one at that where the eye is more sensitive to green) would mask the 'lcd refresh' problem.

Hmmm .... :)

Cheers,
    Matt

9. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Be careful, Paul's avatar does show he's not right in the head.:D :D :p