panasoniv vt30 with a Lumagen Radiance Mini or something similar

AndyVt30

hey i'm soon to be getting a 65vt30, would a external video processor make any difference in PQ on posterization , color gradiation etc? will there be any improvements and will it bypass any processing done by the vt30, i'm new to this so if anyone can explain how one of those would work, or if it would need a special input on the tv to work or does it just run from hdmi to hdmi? to do what it does
i will be expecting PQ gains mainly colour gradiation on blurays if that can be done via an external processor

edit
oops again keep hitting the wrong keys on my macbook, sounds like i'm russian:D:laugh: panasoniv :laugh:

Last edited:

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Not sure about gradation issues. It will have superior de-interlacing of sd and hd film and video source material and much, much better scaling of non 1080 material to the panels resolution. It will also allow a calibrator to set content specific colour gamuts that are loaded on the fly rather than having to change viewing modes for optimum sd and hd viewing. It may improve other facets of the image but I've not used one on a vt30 yet so can't comment categorically....

AndyVt30

Not sure about gradation issues. It will have superior de-interlacing of sd and hd film and video source material and much, much better scaling of non 1080 material to the panels resolution. It will also allow a calibrator to set content specific colour gamuts that are loaded on the fly rather than having to change viewing modes for optimum sd and hd viewing. It may improve other facets of the image but I've not used one on a vt30 yet so can't comment categorically....

i will mainly be using it on blurays, i never watch sd any more, so wanted to know if or not there was any improvements via a external processor or not, maybe you would know if it had any difference on last years models vt20 or any other model plasma

Jasonjo

You will also need to ensure the VP allows the 3D signal to pass through unprocessed - I needed a firmware update for my DVDO to achieve this

Avi

Distinguished Member
i will mainly be using it on blurays, i never watch sd any more, so wanted to know if or not there was any improvements via a external processor or not, maybe you would know if it had any difference on last years models vt20 or any other model plasma

The Lumagen provides a various "Dither" output option designed to reduce posterization/banding artefacts by introducing controlled noise that may be less objectionable artefact. It can be useful on displays that have lower bit depth procession but I'm not sure if that applies to the display you mention.

Avi

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom