Panasonic's Intelligent Auto (IA) Mode..

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by skunkwerx, Jul 9, 2015.

1. skunkwerx

skunkwerx
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One last post tonight.. I promise :p

On my Panasonic HC-W850 I notice the image stutters/lags/judders/becomes choppy when the camcorder switches between its modes automatically on Intelligent Auto (IA) mode.
    This happens both when recording and when paused.

Most noticeable is when it turns the on board light on or off, for example when I pan around my room slowly to a dimmer corner, the candle image appears top left of the viewfinder and the light turns on, meanwhile the image is stuttering and lagging during the switch. Once its settled in one mode or another it records absolutely fine.

The choppy video is noticeable on the led viewfinder screen and also in the recording when played back on PC etc.

So, I have emailed the supplier again, as it was sent off regarding this very issue a few months back, but came back with a clean bill of health.

A member very kindly checked his camcorder and did not notice the issue I'm experiencing, but just wondered if anyone else has it! Would be the same for the Panasonic hc-v750 camcorder too!

Thanks for putting up with me guys!

2. 12harry

12harry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    I'm not familiar with this camcorder, but you appear to be describing the change from "normal" to "low-light" mode - I would expect there to be some glitch during any live transition, unless there is some clever software to disguise the change over several frames - but then we don't really record "frames" do we?
    Maybe you just need to start in "Low-Light" mode, or push up the ambient lighting - and this will improve several aspects of the footage as well. Have you considered an On-Camera light? - these are rather "nasty" filmically, but may help smooth any (light-level) changes -

Hope that helps.

3. Terfyn

Terfyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +248
    The 850 is the 750 with a few extras and, as I mentioned before, I saw none of the problems you are suffering from. Is the camera still under guarantee? Plus have you updated the camera to version 1.2 of the software? (Don't know if this will help.)
    I performed exactly the same test with my 750. The on board light came on and the symbol changed to a candle exactly as you described BUT there is NO glitch or stuttering. the transition is smooth.

4. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Same mate, fellow 850 owner - never a glitch from it and I use iA all of the time

5. skunkwerx

skunkwerx
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers all. Its been back to DKAVS (Currys/Pcworld's authorised Panasonic repair centre) twice now, and both times they state no fault found, the second time it cost me to get the camcorder back. Grr. I just don't think they are seeing the fault or actually recognising it as a fault!

Complained to Currys but got referred to Panasonic directly. Panasonic referred me to DKAVs but I contested that and pushed for Panasonic to replace the unit, which they will only do if they can 'find a fault', which DKAVS can't seem to find...

So I made a short 1 minute 30 seconds video which shows what I am believing to be a fault. However the file is too big to email to Panasonic (at their request). I uploaded the video to youtube and dropbox but the quality has dropped when uploading to a point that the fault is hard to see as the entire video doesn't play as smoothly once uploaded.

I can only think of posting Panasonic the memory card with the video on it!

They also said it could be my memory card causing it. Its a class 10 32gb PNY. Well within spec right? Formatted on the camcorder itself, several times. Firmware all updated too.

Not looking too good, and pretty unimpressed with the retailer (Currys), as its only 7 months old. I might have to try going into a store and asking them to sort it so they can see in person the fault I'm describing..

6. dosdan

dosdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    A series of frame captures, sent along with the video, might be useful. Say in your editor, as you single-step through the vide, after an AE mode change which starts are say frame 100, frame 101 & 102 are distorted. You could send them 4 jpegs named 099.jpg, 100.jpg, 101.jpg & 102.jpg

Dan.