Panasonic's HD Writer AE software and its extra files - are they necessary?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by seanspotatobiz, Jun 4, 2010.

1. seanspotatobiz

seanspotatobiz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As per the manual of my Panasonic camcorder, I use the supplied 'HD Writer AE' software (v2.0) to download the AVCHD files from my camera to my PC. When it does this, it also creates three additional files for each and every AVCHD file. The extensions of these files are .cont, .pmpd and .tmb.

Does anyone know what each of these three files is for?

Do I really need to use the HD Writer AE software to extract my AVCHD files? If those three files are only needed for the operation of HD Writer AE (which has no features of interest to me), then can I go ahead and delete them?

I have several different movie projects ongoing on my PC and making sure that each AVCHD file remains in the same folder as those three mystery files is a time-consuming hassle.

The manual says that you aren't supposed to move the files from within Windows File Explorer, but since I'm unaware of anyway to do this from within HD Writer AE, that's what I've been doing, and they seem to open just fine in other programs.

2. moz414

moz414

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I just plugged my TM10 into my PC via the usb cable and copied the files over via explorer. I never even installed the panasonic software cos I heard it wasn't very good. Now I'm messing about with ways to edit them etc. There's a couple of good threads here already with info on how to do this.

3. 10JH

10JH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Anyone know if you need to keep those three extra files?

Just bought a SD60, they're taking it on holiday tomorrow and only have a crappy laptop. Is it ok to just copy over the movie file and leave it on the computer till later.

It'll take too long showing them how to convert to mpeg. So for now they won't be able to view their videos on the computer.

4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,208
    The only files you need are the video files the other files are for extra capability like face detection and the like. Downloading the video data directly either by using a card reader or a usb connection to a HDD camcorder will avoid this. However the extra files are tiny just take a while to analyse the clips

5. seanspotatobiz

seanspotatobiz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why do you need to convert them? I can play mine on my PC without converting the video from AVCHD.

I don't like the extra files the software creates but I don't like delving into the folders manually nor the default filenames they have either.

6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,208
    The files are already mpeg (mpeg4-h264) if the laptop is fast enough vlcplayer will play them. The file extension is just the container.

You don't need the extra files if you are using normal video editing software to process them later.