1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonics - can i do this

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jackpot, Jan 6, 2005.

1. jackpot

jackpot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With a great amount of reading this forum it would appear that most people favour the panasonics due in most part to PQ and Editing of RAM discs.

I if was to go down the panny route can i do this:

1. If i have a recording on a RAM disc which i then want to play on a non RAM compatible player, can i copy the RAM recording back to the HDD and then copy it back to a -R disc?

2. As the reasonably priced pannys dont have firewire in, can I transfer my digital camera to my PC directly onto a RAM disc and then do any basic editing on this Disc in the panny DVDR? :

Please feel free to add any other benefits of the Panasonics that would twist my arm
    cheers all :beer:

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,208
    Yes - HDD to and from DVD-RAM can be done in high speed with no loss of quality and, provided you have set the DVD-R compatible flag (a menu option), then so can HDD to DVD-R.

You'd need suitable software to do this but yes it can be done. To be honest though you'd be better off keeping the whole process on your PC.

3. jackpot

jackpot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks Rasczak
    can anyone explain what rate conversion dubbing is without being too technical

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,208
    There are two types of dubbing on a HDD/DVDR combi: high speed and rate conversion.

High speed is where you have recorded a programme onto the HDD, it is under 4.7GB in size and you then just do a digital copy to a DVD-RAM, DVD-RW or DVD-R. Much like copying a file to a floppy disc on a PC.

Rate conversion dubbing occurs when the recording is too big to fit a 4.7GB disc or where the user wants to reduce the file size to only takeup part of a disc. In such situations it is re-encoded, i.e. re-recorded using a lower recording mode that takes up less space on the disc.

5. jackpot

jackpot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tremendous. Thanks
    What about bit rates. What are they and what should i know about them?

6. Kabelnet

Kabelnet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    High speed: the recorder simple copy data from one medium to another independently from its content. Need a short time only. The parameters of the recording are the same on both media.

Rate conversion: the recorder "play" the movie from one medium and "record" it to an other - with other recording parameters. The result may be smaller or bigger depending on the settings. If the result is smaller, its quality is generally worse.

If you want to record a program in LP mode, the best way to set the recorder in LP mode at first recording. If you record the program in SP mode and after that copy it to LP mode - the result is worse.

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,208
    Bitrate is the amount of data used per second in a recording. The higher the bitrate the better the quality but the more disc space it takes up. For example on a Panasonic DVD recorder when using XP (1hr per disc) you are recording at a bitrate of 9.8MBits/S. When using SP (2hrs per disc) it is 4.8MBits/S etc. Panasonic recorders are designed to keep such technical issues away from the user: if you went for a Toshiba then you would need to know about bitrates.

8. jackpot

jackpot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Panasonic it is then!
    thanks