1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonica PA50 poor black levels…

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by mlinhares, Jun 25, 2005.

1. mlinhares

mlinhares
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    One of the main reason for buying Panasonic plasma was the contrast ratio.

Received my set last saturday and have been avoiding films mainly because of aspect ratio questions. Tryed to view full screen TV and found black levels acceptable.

Tonight was going to watch Star Wars II and the black levels are really bad. Was quite obvious on the initial Lucas Film logo (green one), all the black area around it wasn't deep black like it should be but was a "faded" black. Skipped a few chapters for some space scenes and what should be deep space black was again a "faded black" like sometimes seen on cheap plasmas with very low contrast ratios.

Tryed another film Band of Brother, the Normandy invasion episode and the faded black appeared again.

Tryed with my PS2 (RGB scart) and the same problem appeared.
    The DVD is connect with component video (cable is a belden with canare).

Is this normal or do I have a problem?

2. kevinmcn

kevinmcn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the pe50 and the black is fine with my screen. Most of the movies I have watched on it have a lot of black backgounds. Normal viewing is fine as well.

3. mlinhares

mlinhares
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The set can produce deep black as I can see for instance in teletex window… that is one of the reasons that I am amazed and suspect that there could be a problem!

4. Stephen Wilde

Stephen Wilde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Have you tried experimenting with the brightness setting? It could be too high.

5. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you have only just got the set, you really should put it in Cinema mode, and knock the contrast and brightness levels down (for 200 hours, it's suggested). Bear in mind that each input needs to be corrected independently - so the setup for SKY (or whatever you watch Teletext on) may be different to your DVD! If blacks are good on SKY, they should be good on DVD, too.

6. mlinhares

mlinhares
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry guys, I should have said this before. I have it in cinema mode (DVD and PS2), fiddled with brightness and contrast and switched on and off everything else just tro try. I even paused the DVD player in the initial Lucas Film logo and played with brightness and contrast and every other thing I could remember but couldn't get deep blacks.

I have got it for a week now and watched specially TV broadcast mainly because of black bars from 2:35 films. Only after a week I decided to watch a film and bumped with this problem.

7. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +673
    What dvd player have you got?
    Sounds like it is outputting 7.5ire rather than 0ire to me, this would be like knocking your brightness up 15% over the middle point, but you say that you get the problem with a PS2 as well as your DVD player?

The PS2 is too bright though, so I think it may be set up for 7.5ire with no way of changing it, only tried a film once on one and that was years ago, so didn't go routing through the menu to find an adjustemnt as I knew I would never use it for films.

If you have decent black levels on TV then it points to your source, have you tried plugging the RGB from sky into your dvd player and see what happens then?

8. mlinhares

mlinhares
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The DVD player is a Tag DVD32R and I also changed that. But I think it only afects NTSC.

9. mlinhares

mlinhares
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    In dinamic mode things improve…

10. MokerJoker

MokerJoker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    There is a limit to the black level of a plasma. When viewed in darkness, it looks a bit faded. When the set is turned on, the screen doesn't look as black as when it's turned off. A little ambient light improves the black level perception. Just switch on one or two lights.

When I turn down brightness on a 'black' screen, the screen does not get any darker when I get below 50% or so. (This is on a PV500).

- Jerry

11. mlinhares

mlinhares
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Tryed it with and without ambient light but still blacks are nowhere near a crappy CRT… :(

In dynamic mode blacks are deeper but the colors get a lot of saturation.

12. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +673
    Have you tried taking the scart out of the sky box (that you say looks good) and plugging it into the dvd player?

13. mlinhares

mlinhares
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Gizlord, no. It's not sky, it's portuguese cable TV that goes in the RF analogue tuner and it looks better but it's not ideal, at least not to a level that I was used to with my old crt TV. :(

14. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Man, you shouldn't be touching Dynamic mode with a bargepole... I have no idea what's going on for you, and all I can suggest is that you try a setup disc like DVE or Avia. If it's no good after that, send it back. If you're not happy with Panny blacks, there's not much else around!

15. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +673
    I find this strange, I have a PH6 and think the black level is not that far off my Philips CRT, with a 0ire black pattern up on screen I have to turn all the lights off in the room to see it is not completely black, but by the sounds of things it seems as if the image is washed out, sort of misty?

Can you see another screen somewhere for comparison?

16. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +673
    I don't know what the scale of adjustment is on the Viera range for saturation, brightness, sharpness etc. etc. and I have a scaler on my screen so everything is at default, but I would suggest the following for starters. Put up a black screen, ie no signal and put your screen to cinema mode, set contrast at about 45%, colour at around 40-45% and then brightness around 50%.
    Make sure the room is dark and adjust the brightness down until it doesn't get any darker, probably around 40% if it is like the panels.
    Now put the Star wars scene back on or the THX set up screen on and adjust it like it suggests, you may find that crushing the blacks very, very slightly gives a more pleasing image than seeing all the detail in the dark areas.

What happens when you go below 50% brightness when there is no signal going into the screen, does it get darker?