Panasonic XT50 TX-P50XT50B 50 Inch 3D Plasma TV Review

Tech News

News Supplying Robot
Reviewed by Mark Hodgkinson, 14th December 2012. The Panasonic XT50 is a decent TV but definitely a long way off the greatness of the higher end plasmas from the manufacturer. You could certainly do worse but we’d probably steer you toward Panasonic’s UT50 as an alternative for only a little more outlay.
Read the full review...

ozzzy189

Distinguished Member
Question 1... Is this a tv anybody actually wants ?
Question 2.... Why even manufacture this tv ?
I can't see a market for it tbh. If they'd dropped 3d and concentrated on just making a decent telly for a few quid less, then they could have had a few sales. This just seems totally pointless to me.

J.Haugen

Standard Member
Question 1... Is this a tv anybody actually wants ?
Question 2.... Why even manufacture this tv ?

I think you are right. There is no reason to buy this TV. Panasonic ST50 is a much better TV in every aspect of the word. And it doesn't cost so much more than XT50, at least from where I come from :)

Chauvinnais

Reviewed by Mark Hodgkinson, 14th December 2012. The Panasonic XT50 is a decent TV but definitely a long way off the greatness of the higher end plasmas from the manufacturer. You could certainly do worse but we'd probably steer you toward Panasonic's UT50 as an alternative for only a little more outlay.
Read the full review...

After reading this I'm-a-thinking it's about time fer me ter to change me avatar to old geezer/old git!!!!!

Mark - it's a fascinating contrast of technologies that you put up for us. Stradlling, as it does, the not-so-old and the new.

Happy Christmas.

Ozzzy. You are one of a kind.

Last edited:

Member 639844

Former Advertiser
If making such a budget set, why include 3D. I think the kind of people going out to buy a new set, that look at budget models like this, probably arent interested in 3D, and its inclusion will just drive up the cost. This set could have probably been cheaper still and then made more sense. It might be a good choice for paret buying sets for the kids though, and the kids might make use of kts 3D ability.

sarumbear

...and Panasonic can't figure out why their consumer TV products are not profitable? Doh!

They have far too many products in their portfolio that fills non-existing slots. Like this 'HD ready' TV with 3D capability. Who will want such an abomination?

Any TV manufacturer should only have, an esoteric model to show off their technology, which is not really distributed anywhere but at Harrods, a hi-end model, a mid-range model and possibly a limited functionality, entry model to justify a small 'from' price, which is almost always out of stock :)

I.e. Only a high-end and a low-end product for the punter to chose from when they are at the shop floor.

PS. Thank you for the very balanced review, given the absurdity of the product. Without you it would be difficult to see its absurdity.

Last edited:

mhjo

Why bother using time reviewing this set? I have been missing reviews on Panasonic Pro sets the last years. Better use time on them than this,

Chauvinnais

Good question but I would like to say that from my perspective it's useful reading this for knowledge and for benchmarking generally. No doubt if Panasonic feel that they wish their professional panels to be reviewed then they will forward some on.

Happy Christmas.

Steve Withers

Distinguished Member
Why bother using time reviewing this set? I have been missing reviews on Panasonic Pro sets the last years. Better use time on them than this,

In the last year we have reviewed two Panasonic Pro sets, the VX300 and the BT300 and we'll be looking at their professional LED/Laser projector in the new year.

Shock

I for one am grateful you guys reviewed this unit.

I Personally own a VT50, ST30 and a 42" X50

But have got friends and family to buy few tellys including a XT50 a good few months back.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom