1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

panasonic xr70- expensive hdmi stop gap?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jules19, Jun 19, 2005.

1. jules19

jules19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thinking of taking the plunge with this machine (unless somebody tells me there will be an updated version along anytime soon?)

this is the 1st time i am venturing into anything other than an all-in-one system, i would want to opt for the easy denon 500sd , but i am looking for something which will allow a one cable solution, from tv to receiver etc

so having just bought a samsung with hdmi capabilitues, i am wanting to buy a receiver and separate dvd with hdmi capabilities also, so other than spending a ridiculous amount of cash i was gonna opt for the xr70 coupled with the s97 or wait for the new sony 2 speaker virtual system

thoughts greatly appreciated

2. jules19

jules19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anybody?

so why is it everybody is scrambling to get tv's with this connection and not audio equipment???
    is this thing purely for gamers? or sky tv people???

3. demostenes

demostenes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jules,

My Panasonic xr70 arrived today and its still in package, ordered a samsung HD945 but it will take a while to arrive.

The reviews I've read are all positive:
    -From this Forum

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=806&page_number=1&preview=

http://consumerguide.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=5453454

and lots of magazines

but haven't tried it yet. Theres a small problem with the setup menu that doesn't work with hdmi (only composite) but you'l only use it once.

- Very small for a 100W x6 == Beauty
    - Can deliver 1080i (Upconversion from the HD945 :clap: ) from the hdmi
    - Good Value for money
    - Lots of connections, analog and digital

Now i just need to get samsung 32'' LCD so that i can get rid myself of that tiny 15'' Sony CRT :eek:

4. jules19

jules19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the response.
    so have you bought it on the bais it is "semi future proof"?? i know some people may not deem it future ready on the basis it only delivers 1080i as opposed to 1080p.

it does seem to suit my needs as i will only ever use it for film and to push some music through it occasionally.

i too am awaiting the same samsung you are- prob going to pick it up next week, so am trying to piece everything together at once.
    hence the question is this worthwhile getting is is it going to become obsolete quickly.

where did you get your xr 70 from and how much did you pay for it, what speakers are you going to run it through?

5. alefsin

alefsin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well, I don't really liked the connections of XR70. It does not convert the component or s-video inputs to HDMI so you need to connect the analog video connectors to the TV anyway. It does not show the menus on the HDMI either. So what's the point of it? I have a S97 and a Yamaha 657. Now, I have one HDMI cable between the LCD and S97 and one optical connection between the S97 and 657. If I had XR70 instead of 657 what would change? Instead of one HDMI cable and one TOSLINK cable, I would need two HDMI cables. One between the S97 and XR70 and one between XR70 and the LCD.
    Think of it like this: You need two cables anyway. One (TOSLINK or the HDMI) between DVD player and the Receiver and one between the LCD and either the DVD player OR the Receiver.

6. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +853
    I think you would be pretty safe in assuming that it'll be quite a long time before anyone starts transmitting a 1080p picture.

Cheers,

Martin.

7. jules19

jules19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so whats the overall consensus then????

wait until more manufacturers bring out hdmi stuff, or go with tried and tested greats such as the denons and the likes.

8. FeisalK

FeisalK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I'd get the XR70 just for the great digital amplifier :)

from the other posts I gather there's still a lot of issues with HDMI - and probably the best route is DVD player -> display, at least for your DVD.

If i am not mistaken, the HDMI spec as of now should carry bitstream PCM, DD and DTS multichannel as well as multichannel DVD-Audio (not DSD)

9. demostenes

demostenes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jules,

Paid 505 euros (350£) from pixmania and took 20 days to deliver (Out of stock)

And.. woow that little thing (1/2 the height of denon or similar) is full of potential.
    Very Pleasing to the eye, a big screen in the middle which shows all the information needed (active speakers,volume in dB, sound mode, frequency of PCM etc), very good finish and great value for money no doubt about it.

Tried only the analog connections :thumbsdow but expect to try the hdmi in the future :clap:

A brief reading of the short :eek: manual (Only in french :lease: ) pointed out some restrictions in terms of connections: If using S-Video/Composite connection for IN the OUT must be of the same time!

The audio terminals aren't that great but it is possible to bi-wire the front speakers (LF/HF). Used a pair of old bi-wire Sony with a extremely old surround speakers... But the Sound was GREAAAT, full of life,very precise and with auto setup. I'm planning on buying the KEF 2005.2.

As for the hdmi the manual says that it is "better" to connect the DVD to the XR70 via hdmi but i don't know if the other connections can run through the hdmi to the TV. There goes the 1 cable solution for me ( PS2 and a PC)

As for the 1080p.... maybe in 5 to 10 years we'll start to see some HD programs.

My opinion... A Great Digital Amplifier with a price tag of 500e (350£), half the size and with great potencial :clap:

10. demostenes

demostenes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Alefsin,

I understand the reason behind the nonexistance of a analog to digital converter is purely economical :thumbsdow . It would be great to have only 1 cable connecting the A/V to the TV but it isn't yet available as a cheap solution.

I believe jules reason to buy a A/V receiver is different from mine. I wanted to connect all my gadgets to the A/V to free the TV from unnecessary cables (i'm planning to wall mount a LCD and already have the tubes inside the wall) apperantly still have to install 2 types of cable (better than the 5 or 6 cables needed for the PS2, DVD, PC .....).

The Yamaha was part of my choice list... but was too large. :thumbsdow

11. jules19

jules19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks demostenes!!
    i am still undecided- purely on the basis of i have been reading various things on avsforum, and people are reckoning that HDMI may have different versions 1.0, 1.1, 1.2 etc etc and the people at siliconvalley are releasing things bit by bit.

i am probably looking into this far too much but just want to ensure i am not buying something that will be obsolete within 1yr or 2 (reason being I am getting married and this will see the end of me purchasing such equipment!!! )

12. demostenes

demostenes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lol jules thank god I don't have that problem.... mine gave me the "Carte Blache" to buy what i want :clap: :thumbsup: :clap: