1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic with Tuner & VGA together

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by psuedoscot, Oct 14, 2004.

1. psuedoscot

psuedoscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Pana TH-42PW6 and decided to buy the separate tuner (TU-PT600B) with corresponding board. I have the following kit attached:

SKY+ using S-video -> scart lead

I did have a DVD attached but I've just purchased a Digimatrix (nice bit of kit if you can see past the flaws). It is basically a PC that doesn't look out of place in your TV cabinet.

My problem is that I must connect the PC directly to the VGA input on the plasma (the S-video picture output from the PC is awful!). However the plasma only lets me switch to the VGA input if I switch off the tuner box by physically pushing the button on it. Using the remote controls merely switches off both the TV and the plasma together.

I would have thought you could cycle through all inputs and then get to the VGA but this doesn't seem to be possible.

From reading a lot of the posts on here it sounds like most people don't have the separate tuner box but if anyone does and has come against this problem please let me know the outcome.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Hmmmm I would say scrap tuner and buy the S-video board for Sky and then you could use either the VGA unit or go for a DVi board........ Tuner is crap mate ditch and try again

3. psuedoscot

psuedoscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have thought about that even though it is £250 down the drain but it causes another issue. One of the reasons for getting the tuner is because the only place I could hang my TV doesn't allow me to take the cables out through the wall, ie they're visible. Once my PS2 is in there and any other equipment I buy the cables will be a problem. Is there no way around the issue?

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    conduit my friend..... Is your friend... Suggest you go with something like JS labs RGB>VGA converter and a second VGA card. using a quattro or similar too feen all RGB sources Sky PS2 etc and run 2 x VGA leads to screen. Only issue is none RGB devices.... BUT do you have an AV amp? And Which one?

5. psuedoscot

psuedoscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there an RGB cable for PS2?

My AV amp is a Sony STR-DB780.

I got a bit lost before, what is quattro?

I've just looked at the JS box. Why one of these rather than just getting an RGB input board?

6. psuedoscot

psuedoscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you get a 2nd VGA card for these? I looked tonight and couldn't see one for sale anywhere. If so, it perhaps isn't the ideal scenario but for I now I could stick with the tuner, use the PC in the 2nd VGA board and my problem should be solved.

When I can afford an upgrade I can look to get the tuner replaced with the equipment mentioned earlier.

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    psuedoscot

If you retain the external Tuner Box your always going to have problems connecting up a PC via the HD15 (VGA) port - the problem being that there is a VGA input on the Tuner box; its disconnected in the UK model as it failed an emissions test and the control software for the system was written assuming that once you attach the Tuner Box you would attach your PC to the (phantom) VGA socket on the tuner.

Installing a second VGA card is again rendered useless once you connect the Tuner Box - it overrides the expansion card slots.

Best regards

Joe

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The tuner will fetch some money on ebay, you can get a 2 cable connection easily enough, just the PC and the AV kit. You just need some form of video switcher like Horny is suggesting. And you certainly can add a 2nd PC board, they're the cheapest video board too.

9. psuedoscot

psuedoscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't believe it! How crap is that?

OK, so the tuner is gone.

I will buy an extra VGA board if I can find one. I can't find an online retailer that does one and just spoken to panasonic who have said they don't make one. They only sell boards for tuner/scart/RCA component/RCA composite-svideo. Am I missing something?

Also, on the switching box, are there any asthetically pleasing units. The ones I saw weren't going to do any favours in my AV rack.

10. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    From Av_Sales, the part number is TY-42TM6PB, they call it a PC slot. They won't sell you the boards unless you bought the plasma from them, but if you do a search you'll probably find some, or quote it to Panasonic.

11. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    psuedoscot

Take a minute (or ten) to work out exactly how best to configure your system - if you rush into it again you could make more expensive mistakes.

If you want a hand there are plenty of us 'retailer' types you can email with exact details of your intended system and we'll work out a connectivity plan with you - there are loads of options so best to take some time and get it right.

If you want a decent switcher with IR control that's well built and 'looks' the part in your AV rack we supply the HDS4 and HDS4.2 from Zektor in the US - you pay a price premium for the quality but they will do a job for you.

See http://www.zektor.com/home_theater.htm

Best regards

Joe

Send a PM if you want detailed help!

PS The TY-42TM6PB boards are in stock at Panasonic (Business Systems) UK so no problems sourcing and supplying one of those.