Panasonic - what is happening??

u768211

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Sorry to be a pain and ask a question that you have probably all seen before, but please help if you can.

I am expecting my first child in a couple of months, and am therefore planning to get a camcorder. I read lots of reviews and decided on the Panasonic DS27 (I thought I could enable DVin at a later stage).

Now, a few weeks after my research, I come back to the web to look for updated prices, and see that the DS27 has all but disappeared, and that some "new" models have appeared - DS29 DS30, and the GS1 - 5s. Unfortunately because these models are new, there is a distinct lack of reviews available (I am yet to find any).

Is the DS29 the same as the DS27? What are the GS models like, and what is the difference between GS1 and 2 (DVin?), and 3? Do they still have night vision, and movement sensors?

If any of you have any info, or have seen any reviews, and can point me in the right dircetion I would really apprecaite it.

Oh and whats the best price you've seen, I have seen the DS29 at £398 and the 30 at £476 (so the 29 plus a DVin enable is in the lead at the moment).

THANKS,
James.

Hello dude,

This is not a real solution to your problem, but a good hint.

Up to few days ago, I also have carried out an intensive research, and actually I found specs of the Panasonic models (G1-5s) on the internet. I cant remember the exact sites but for a start, if you hand around Panasonic main sites (panasonic.com, panasonic.co.uk, etc) you will find some specs. Additionally Ia m quite sure that if you go to a good search engine and seacrh for "panasonic <model> review" or "Panasonic <model> spec" where <model> = model number, you will have hours of reading and information.

Finally try camcorder magazines online, such as what camcorder and camcorder user (again get the exact site from a good search engine)

Hope that will help a lot.....

Stephen
[email protected]
Malta

Stephen,

Thanks for the advise on the specs. Regarding the reviews, I have tried the method that you suggest (using search engines and model no's, and the word 'review' or 'Panasonic' etc etc) and no luck whatsoever, not a single review of a new model panasonic. Which is why I ended up here, as I am sure that someone out there must know of a mag or website that has some of this info, or maybe even bought a new pany camcorder?

So come on guys, any magazines or websites I should try? (i have already tried camcorderinfo.com camuser.co.uk zdnet whatcamcorder whatvideotv) are there any others???

Thanks again,

James

As a father of 3, I recommend to consider size of camcorder as #1 attribute. What is the point of having the camera if you leave it at home or car? You will have so much baby stuff to carry that the camera will be one item too much...

Since you were looking into Panasonic, check out this one:

http://www.panasonic.com/consumer_electronics/pressroom/cont2.asp?Filter=12&cont_id=162

Or search for the new PV-DC152 and PV-DC252.

I am planning to upgrade from my old 8mm Sony to this one!

To (partially) answer the original post, it's that time of year. I.e. the time when the new models start appearing in the shops. To be cynical, the manufacturers now change models purely because of marketing considerations. Sometimes there are genuine advances but most times its a minor repackaging exercise.
The good news?

You can get the 'run-out' models at an attractive discount.

Chack the web vendors or walk down Tottenham Court Road and haggle. Chances are you'll end up with a bargain if you know what you're looking for before you start.

Guys,

Thanks for the replies, leads to a couple more questions.....

Does anyone know any webistes or stores that are still stocking the DS27?

What are the UK model no's for the PV-DC152 and 252? are they the GS models?

Thanks again,

James.

In case it helps...

I bought one of the first DS30s in the country a few weeks back, which has since been to Africa. The night vision was great for up to 4m, but one of the most useful features for me was the video light on the front. This is invaluable when you are filming in the evening (especially meals), and you still want colour. Buy a larger capacity battery if you are going to do so though. Though I have not used a DS27/28 series, I did look at them a few times in various shops and the DS29/30 do seem better built, something the 27/28s were criticised for.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom