Panasonic VT65 (VT60) TX-P65VT65B 3D Plasma TV Review

Tech News

Reaction score
Reviewed by Stephen Withers, 28th May 2013. Big really can be beautiful and there's no doubt that the Panasonic P65VT65 delivers the kind of gorgeous large screen images that put the 'cinema' in home cinema. With an irresistible combination of size, looks, features, value and sheer unadulterated performance, the P65VT65 knocks it out of the park and in doing so wins Panasonic yet another Reference Status badge.
Read the full review...

Steve great review as always.

I'm in a dilemma 65VT or 60ZT..?
:confused:

Last edited:
thank you for a wonderful review, bigger really is better, i've always been attracted to the 65" incher ...

just a quick question about viewing distances...i know there are industry recommendations relating to this. how far away did you sit from the 65" and felt for you, that was a comfortably viewing distance Steve?

i sit 10ft away from my tv, just wondered what your thoughts were on the subject. and if you thought that 10 ft for a 65" was too close.

thank you for a wonderful review, bigger really is better, i've always been attracted to the 65" incher ...

just a quick question about viewing distances...i know there are industry recommendations relating to this. how far away did you sit from the 65" and felt for you, that was a comfortably viewing distance Steve?

i sit 10ft away from my tv, just wondered what your thoughts were on the subject. and if you thought that 10 ft for a 65" was too close.

God no, I sit way closer than that, I'm probably no more than seven feet from the screen.

God no, I sit way closer than that, I'm probably no more than seven feet from the screen.

and you felt comfortable watching a 65" from that distance then?

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your good review,
If 65vt has not a line bleed problem, it should be the first Panasonic display. I think 65VT has better image producing than ZT because of this future .

However blacks aren’t everything of course and we found that when it came to brightness the P65VT65 reached 113 cd/m2

Was that in Pro mode and did you measure THX Cinema also? And was it with Middle Panel Luminance setting?

Saw you could hit 120 cd/m2 on the 55 VT65, guess 65 is a little less bright when using Min/Mid only since High mess up the picture?

However blacks aren’t everything of course and we found that when it came to brightness the P65VT65 reached 113 cd/m2

Was that in Pro mode and did you measure THX Cinema also? And was it with Middle Panel Luminance setting?

Saw you could hit 120 cd/m2 on the 55 VT65, guess 65 is a little less bright when using Min/Mid only since High mess up the picture?

The THX and Pro modes measure the same and yes I was using the mid panel setting. I think for a 65" TV a measurement of 113 cd/m2 is excellent and more than enough, especially with the superb black levels which give the TV a massive dynamic range.

If 65vt has not a line bleed problem, it should be the first Panasonic display. I think 65VT has better image producing than ZT because of this future .

I've seen the GT, VT and ZT this year and line bleed just hasn't been an issue for me, even on things like the MPAA ratings card.

I've seen the GT, VT and ZT this year and line bleed just hasn't been an issue for me, even on things like the MPAA ratings card.

a related question steve...since the Sammy F8500 had such bright whites(sounds like a Daz commercial)..do you think this gave an overall better 3D performance than the VT or ZT?

In your opinion, how close has the sammys this year come to the VT'/ZTs would you say within a hairs breath or is the gap wider.

The F8500 was particularly impressive with 3D but even as a fan of the format I have to ask if anyone really cares these days?

Samsung have definitely stepped up with their plasmas but I would still go for a Panasonic, especially as they have almost no DFC this year.

The THX and Pro modes measure the same and yes I was using the mid panel setting

But THX is default "Min" setting which you can't change right? And when comparing Pro with "Mid" setting one should be able to come even closer to 120 cd/m2 or am I wrong? Not saying 113 is bad at all, been using THX Cinema all the time myself and it looks great.

No chance you will post your settings?

Last edited:
Thank you for another fantastic review! Can not stop myself from sharing my favorite quote from it :)
As is always the case with a plasma TV, there was a very slight buzz from the power supply but this couldn't be heard over the sound of the fans.
But I have a question - is this year VT plasma also has noticeable display flickering when you look at it as it was last year?

Great review Steve,

I'm thinking of getting the 50' version, i like to know if you could answer the following:

1. Do you you think it will be brighter in pro modes with mid lum, in the smaller set? Out of interest which is the most accurate pre-set mode - THX or one of the Pro modes? Most owners seem to be using the Pro mode:rolleyes:

2. Gamma is it better to have 2.2 or 2.4 for better daytime viewing, not sure what's the dif tbh?

3. I spotted terrible jaggies when watching football in a store, with the white markings in the pitch, would you able to confirm it can handle properly.

The F8500 was particularly impressive with 3D but even as a fan of the format I have to ask if anyone really cares these days?

3D did become a :thumbsdow letdown 4k overshadow it now

0.002 cd/m2 on/off mll can't be right, sorry, Steve, but there must be something seriously wrong with your K10. Setting the bug of the K10 convertersoftware aside (ftl-numers and cd/m2 don't match), VT and ZT should measure 0.0013 ftl or 0.003 cd/m2 (asI said, the cd/m2-numbers don't match the ftl ones).

But I have a question - is this year VT plasma also has noticeable display flickering when you look at it as it was last year?

Perception of flicker is largely dependent on the individual and I don't have a problem with it. Mark is more susceptible, so check his reviews of the 50" and 55" VT65s.

1. Do you you think it will be brighter in pro modes with mid lum, in the smaller set? Out of interest which is the most accurate pre-set mode - THX or one of the Pro modes? Most owners seem to be using the Pro mode:rolleyes:

2. Gamma is it better to have 2.2 or 2.4 for better daytime viewing, not sure what's the dif tbh?

3. I spotted terrible jaggies when watching football in a store, with the white markings in the pitch, would you able to confirm it can handle properly.

All your questions are answered in the review on the Test Results page.

But THX is default "Min" setting which you can't change right? And when comparing Pro with "Mid" setting one should be able to come even closer to 120 cd/m2 or am I wrong? Not saying 113 is bad at all, been using THX Cinema all the time myself and it looks great.

No chance you will post your settings?

I think we're talking at cross purposes but the Pro mode measured 113 cd/m2 in the mid panel setting, which as you say is more than enough brightness. In fact for evening and night time viewing you don't need an image that bright, which is why THX Cinema uses the low panel setting.

The review settings should be posted today by the way.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom