Panasonic VT65 (VT60) TX-P65VT65B 3D Plasma TV Review

Thanks for that Steve - Quite a surprise to see such a difference particularly with the same full screen 50% white pattern.

Regards

The VT65 hit 113 at a contrast setting of 70 and it doesn't get any brighter at 100. As for the rest of your questions, I can't answer them as the TV has gone back but I think your obsessing about trivial details, why not just demo one?
HI STEVE BOUGHT A 50VT65 AND I AM GETTING JUDDER AND BLUR ON PANNING OON BLURAY AND SKY ANY INPUT ?

Well all the VT65s I've seen to date, and there have been a lot, have had great motion handling so Im not sure what to suggest. I have a friend who has just purchased a ZT65 and seems to be having judder and blur problems, so it could be a fault in some models.

In Normal mode, which is how the TV ships, all the eco features are on. These reduce power consumption, which helps meet EU criteria but are detrimental to image quality. The Calibrated setting represents the level of energy consumption for a well setup and accurate image. The 3D setting uses the most power because you need added brightness in that mode to combat the dimming effect of the glasses.

Any idea what the difference in wattage means in terms of pounds in pocket/bills???

I have to admit to not having read all the replies but I've been offered one at an attractive price. I have a Radiance 2021 currently driving a TH58-PF11. I have a Calman Business Ultimate licence so would normally calibrate Greyscale and Gamma using the display's controls and then calibrate the gamut using the Radiance's 729 point (9^3) 3D Look Up Table. Has anyone done this (or thought about it). The Radiance also has built in Darbee DVP which I prefer to 3D in the home environment. It does produce a picture that looks like you could climb into, without producing an artificial image that works better with animation than live-action pictures. Both displays work with Autocal so I should just be able to profile my Colorimeter with my Spectroradiometer and I'll be off.

I've spoken to Gordon about this and that's how he'd do it, The Radiance 2021 is a fantastic piece of equipment, and while I'm sure that Panasonic have put a huge amount of effort into their video processor I can't believe it will beat the Lumagen.

Tim

Any idea what the difference in wattage means in terms of pounds in pocket/bills???

If we assume a unit price of 14p for each kilowatt hour of electricity then £1 will pay for about 71 hours of use of a 100W device. The power usage figure cited above is 300W in calibrated professional mode. In that case £1 will pay for 23.81 hours of use. That's near enough 24 hours, so let's call it one full day.

Now, suppose you run the TV in a 300W calibrated professional mode for 1000 hours. The running cost will then be £42. 1000 hours would be about five and a half hours a day over a six month period.

The figures will be slightly different for everyone, so the calculation will need to be adjusted for individual circumstances. And given the figures above, you should be able to work out roughly what the differences in wattage mean in terms of energy prices you will pay.

The Radiance also has built in Darbee DVP which I prefer to 3D in the home environment. It does produce a picture that looks like you could climb into, without producing an artificial image that works better with animation than live-action pictures.
I highly doubt that. Why putting lots of effort in calibrating a high end display, when you ruin the PQ with the Darbee afterwards?

I highly doubt that. Why putting lots of effort in calibrating a high end display, when you ruin the PQ with the Darbee afterwards?

I don't fully agree with you. The Darby is a marmite product, you either love it or hate it. I hate it. That being said companies like Oppo and Lumagen would not put this sort of processing on place if it adversely had a negative effect on picture processing.

It doesn't as long as you don't over do it. Personally if it was supposed to look like the effect it creates then the director would have done it in post production.

It's a personal preference thing. Almost like someone preferring a little more or less saturation.

Where I agree with you is that indeed a properly calibrated image will simply not require it IMHO.

Last edited:
I don't fully agree with you. The Darby is a marmite product, you either love it or hate it. I hate it. That being said companies like Oppo and Lumagen would not put this sort of processing on place if it adversely had a negative effect on picture processing.

It doesn't as long as you don't over do it. Personally if it was supposed to look like the effect it creates then the director would have done it in post production.

It's a personal preference thing. Almost like someone preferring a little more or less saturation.

Where I agree with you is that indeed a properly calibrated image will simply not require it IMHO.

I've been a beta tester with Calman on versions 2,3,4 & 5, hence the pro ultimate licence and i1 Pro and CES6 meters. I had the first of the second batch of beta Radiance XDs so I know how to properly calibrate a plasma. I use a wheelchair to get about and Gordon Fraser wanted my XD in part exchange so he swapped the units over and set Darbee in his preferred setting which is HD mode and a gain of 40. I've turned it down to 30.

I agree with you that Darbee processing isn't to everybody's taste bit the effect is subtle and I think it's analogous to Pro-Logic II on a stereo image. The sound engineer didn't put it there in post but the fact is any multi-miked recording contains phase information which can be used to generate ambient information. I noticed it when I first moved from a Meridian 561 to a G68.

I didn't understand the maths involved in DVP or PLII when I studied it at university in 1987, so I'm not going to try it now. All I know is that Gordon Fraser is a well respected calibrator, he has it turned on, as do most of his customers. I don't like 3D on a home screen it doesn't have the immersive quality that 3D in the cinema does.

Can we get back to the original question. Has anyone used the 65PV65 with a Radiance XE or better still a 2021?

Experience would suggest that you only adjust greyscale, gamma, contrast and brightness on the plasma, and use all 729 points of a 9 point cube in the Radiance. Obviously you can't use the Radiance to calibrate the internal tuners, but I'll still be using Sky as my main source of broadcast TV. Shame you can't get a commercial version of the panel without all the bloatware. I just want a display panel ;)

Tim

Last edited:
"Hi to all at avforums ..Do we really need 4k.at this present time ..eg I have a lg-pk590 50"T.H.X. plasma-isf-ccc-1080p-panel using a sony-BDP 760 player ..AV amp onkyo-706-7.2-T.H.X. cert etc. ..And I must say I'am very happy with it all plus you've got A.V. collaboration tools on the hdmi inputs on the amp before you go back onto the plasma-panel it self and so on..

"So is there a danger of people just sticking to their own kit for a long duration of time because it's enough to keep people like my self happy?

"Long live Plasma!!

Many-thanks
Del07

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom