Panasonic VT65 (VT60) TX-P55VT65B 3D Plasma TV Review

Tech News

Reaction score
Reviewed by Mark Hodgkinson, 9th April 2013. The VT65 is an absolute triumph for Panasonic and brings everything to the party one could possibly hope for – stunning dynamic range, steadfastly accurate colours and gloriously silky motion handling. With so many rumours circulating of Panasonic’s imminent departure from the Plasma market , let’s hope that party isn’t a leaving do but we think they’d be crazy to give up on it at this stage when it, so obviously, has so much to give. Bravo Panasonic. Oh, and yes, they’ve done it again, Reference Status.
Read the full review...

Great review, cant wait for mine to show up to give it a whirl.

Great review Mark,
eagerly awaiting my 50VT65:smashin:

saarnold

the reviews keep coming thick and fast..i dont think i have enough superlatives to gush about the coverage that my beloved forums are currently delivering..well done mark and great review!

Disappointed that stand won't swivel & fans are still carried on from last year:(

Steve, the new Red Phosphor, does it make any difference when watching normal picture?

if no, then can't see the benefit of it for normal use.

Would you say the filter is better than previous model, better maintaing the colours?

Thanks for the review Mark looking forward for the ZT Review. I LOL when I read "Fans might bother some". I thought that is a polite way to say that the fans are somewhat noisy. :rotfl:

Nice review and a huge amount of reference ticks there but it appears the GT60's test results were better :confused:

Any ballpark as to when we can expect the ZT review? Days, week, weeks?
Great review on the VT.

The mll-reading is confusing. The 50GT60 0.002 cd/m2 and now the 65 inch version of the VT65 with a not so good 0.005 cd/m2?

65" should have better mll than the smaller displaysizes.

The mll-reading is confusing. The 50GT60 0.002 cd/m2 and now the 65 inch version of the VT65 with a not so good 0.005 cd/m2?

The lowest reading on the GT60 was 0.002cd/m2, check the ANSI chart. This has been re-measured now it is over 100 hours and it is a more uniform 0.004cd/m2. Steve tests in a completely blacked out cinema room (really light controlled). Mark doesn't quite have that luxury. As we have continually said, and still say, take ANY MLL readings at this level, Klein or not, with a certain pinch of salt. I read comments all over the net where people put too much weight in these figures when the procedures, testing surroundings and equipment cannot be validated scientifically so they have to be consumed with that salt. Black is important, but just one part of a far bigger number of attributes that make up a picture.

The review is of a 55".;)

Wondering if the 0.005 will reduce over time, is odd, then whats the tolorance level of such testing?.

The lowest reading on the GT60 was 0.002cd/m2, check the ANSI chart. This has been re-measured now it is over 100 hours and it is a more uniform 0.004cd/m2. Steve tests in a completely blacked out cinema room (really light controlled). Mark doesn't quite have that luxury. As we have continually said, and still say, take ANY MLL readings at this level, Klein or not, with a certain pinch of salt. I read comments all over the net where people put too much weight in these figures when the procedures, testing surroundings and equipment cannot be validated scientifically so they have to be consumed with that salt. Black is important, but just one part of a far bigger number of attributes that make up a picture.

I dont want that salt in my mouth :( i want honey or sugar :p
I kid i kid :D

Great review by the way :)

Ah missed this post.
I was wondering how reliable readings at this level could be.
So basically the GT and VT have the same black level.

Nice one Mark, cheers.

Did you do the ansi checkerboard test on the panel bright min/max and what difference did it make?

Do the power regs mean that the 65VT65 is going to be dimmer?

Thanks mark, great review. I'm loving my new VT65, much better than the VT50 IMO.

Ok ok we must take the blacklevels with a pinch of salt right?
So my question...
Hoe does the vt60 fares versus pioneer 9g, krp500 and the gt60 in pq and dynamic contrast?
Fair question i think :)

Mark? Anybody? Thats the burning question i have.

I'm also curious to how the vt65 stacks up against the Kuro. I'm actually I bit surprised Kuro wasn't mentioned lol.

I don't really understand why Panasonic are suddenly going to great lengths sticking speakers on the side of a high end TV. Practically everyone who buys one of these will have a multi speaker system. Of course, you will occasionally use the built in speakers for casual viewing, but generally, I haven't used my TV's built in speakers since 1990. As long as some semblance of sound comes out of them, I really don't care. Last year's 50 series sets had more than adequate quality.

great review :) think the 55 will be my new screen sounds great and cant wait for the ZT review

Mark, was there any difference in the handling of whiter than white shades between custom and pro modes?

Excellent review, thanks a a lot, just one simple thing is bothering me, if there is any differences in PQ between VT and GT when fully calibrated?

BTW. Is this camera for skype hd like? I mean 5Mp f.e like in Samsung?
Cheers,

P.S I do not know why but I prefer simple look of GT60 over VT this year. I'm getting old I quess:)

Cheers,

Whats the verdict compared to the last year's VT50?

I may be able to upgrade? Any notable differences? I actually like the look of the VT50's stand over the VT65's.

Nice review, as if by magic my dealer phoned this morning and mine is on the way...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom