Panasonic VT65 Owners Thread Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

zAndy1

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
AVF Jay said:
That to me is not normal, at that volume I can't hear the fans.

There must be a minority with dodgy fans.

I'd get it swapped personally.

Hearing slight fan noise in silent scenes is one thing but over the volume?!

edit: not a scientific test by any means but I've just switched over to itv and with volume 21 I can't hear my fans. But I could be sitting further and have ear wax in my ears

When my local shop gets another VT65 he's going to bring it over so I can compare them in my lounge.

All I can hear is a constant high pitched humm from them those fans

ive been watching football for a few hours,and the two shadows are really annoying me,so i have decided to get a refund,i can see it when the camera pans it stands out as clear as day to me,so i will now either get a gt60 or a vt50,its such a shame because apart from that issue the tv is very good.

ive been watching football for a few hours,and the two shadows are really annoying me,so i have decided to get a refund,i can see it when the camera pans it stands out as clear as day to me,so i will now either get a gt60 or a vt50,its such a shame because apart from that issue the tv is very good.

I've got match of the day on and can see nothing.

I don't think a VT50 is the answer to be honest. Some of them were awful.

OMG if you think the VT65 is bad I'd love to hear your opinion of the VT50, should make interesting reading...the VT65 is in a different league IMO

My VT65 now has mild vertical bands. At the moment they're nowhere near as severe as on all GT50s I went through, but they are there. Less of the screen is affected (it's really only the very right five percent); and the bands are less pronounced.

Fan noise and buzzing are non issues on this TV and I've been through too many replacements in recent months to believe that swapping out will make a difference.

Out of interest, how many hours to people have on their VT65s now? I've run mine near constantly since I got it and I'm now at the magic 200 hour mark. (I mean magic in that something's appeared out of nowhere.)

I first spotted the bands during Come Dine with Me this afternoon, during camera pans on a terracotta coloured wall. I'm watching Match of the Day now and can also spot them.

I'm slightly gutted; not least because this is a sensational TV in every other regard. I'm not sure what to do now.

Nick are these bands you're seeing the shadows that show on the scrolling bar?

Can the bands be seen on the update screen like they could on the 50s?

Also you say "now has vertical bands" so are you saying new ones have suddenly appeared?

Nick are these bands you're seeing the shadows that show on the scrolling bar?

Can the bands be seen on the update screen like they could on the 50s?

Also you say "now has vertical bands" so are you saying new ones have suddenly appeared?

Hi AVF Jay,

The bands are similar to last year's models, only not as severe and with less of the screen affected (at least for the moment). These are not the shadows we previously discussed.

I can see the bands if I put up grey slides, but again they're not as prominent as on last year's Panasonics (again, for the time being).

To be specific, there's one darker band and three lighter bands, all toward the right edge of the screen. They're faint, but they're there.

I'm thinking I'll have to live with the bands and hope they vanish with time. I say this because, frankly, I can't think what other TV I'd buy. Beyond that, I'm sick and tired of messing around. Swapping out for the same model last time round only meant more of the same.

I exchanged several 50 series plasmas with the issue you described so I'm aware what you mean. The bands were visible on static images as well as panning shots.

They were very annoying. I don't have the amount of hours you do and I'm hoping mine don't develop over time like yours have, as I don't even have the box anymore. To be honest with the 50 series despite what people said, the bands for me were visible out of the box and never got worse but certainly didn't disappear with age.

To be honest I don't know a recent tv that doesn't have banding or dse. Even lcds or lcds with led backlighting suffer from banding plus they have clouding and backlight bleed too.

The only alternative is going with a samsung plasma to see if they're better.

On the update screen which was my test for the 50 series vertical bands it's uniform to my eyes, although if I focus very hard I think I have some in the middle but I might just be hallucinating :rotfl:

If I'm honest you're just going to have to decide what issues you can tolerate the most and pick your poison.

I've had 30ish tvs come through my house within the last 12 months, about 5 different models with about 5 or 6 replacements and (3 different calibrators come through the door)

They all had issues I could complain about, I'm at a stage now where unless there's something really bad I can't be ****ed to keep boxing up tvs and taking them to the shop looking like an idiot trying to point out flaws to sales people that can't see them in bright lighting.

Last edited:
Hopefully your TV will be fine.

As I've said before, I'm not looking to start a wave of panic, so I'll be as clear and honest as I possibly can.

On all three GT50s I owned, there were multiple, ragged vertical bands running across at least one-third of the screen. The bands on my VT65 are mild by comparison and far less of the screen is affected.

On my VT65, when watching football with a normal camera view, I can barely spot the bands during fast pans. When the programme cuts to a shot of player running against a green background, the bands are more visible (yet still not as visible on the GT50).

If the issue was as severe as on the GT50, I'd be on the phone tomorrow and perhaps considering a Samsung. As it stands, I'll see how things progress, but I should probably make John Lewis aware, just to cover myself.

Can you confirm if the bands were there out of the box on the right side of your screen or if they have appeared with more hours?

I think it's probably the same thing as last year with the 50s, where every 65 will suffer from banding to some degree, some will be so slight it's not noticeable and some will be awful.

I defo have the shadows on the scrolling bar, nothing on the update screen and haven't noticed anything in content recently.

I even done un-natural tests where I'd go up to a light coloured wall in call of duty and move left and right to pan across, kicked the ball left to right on fifa, and looked up at the sky in battlefield and panned left and right.

I should add that my V20 I had perfect screen uniformity. Even DFC wasn't that horrendous, once the TV had aged.

Every TV I've been through since has had uniformity problems. How is it that more recent models perform worse in this regard?

Just to confirm were those bands there out of the box on the right side of your screen?

Out of the box, there was one very mild band at the right edge. (I posted about this on the day I received the TV, with a "don't panic" disclaimer.) While I could see this band looking very closely when displaying grey slides, I couldn't see anything in content.

To be honest, I've only seen the bands extremely rarely today, though it's disappointing to know they could show up at any moment.

Strangely, I haven't seen anything playing PES. I wonder what the "Game" setting does and if this has any influence?

Last edited:
One thing I do notice is brightness fluctuations, it's annoying to be fair. I notice it on football.

A test is bbc alba on the freesat tuner channel 110. If you have freesat connected put channel 110 and look at the background colour. Can you see the brightness changing?

Well that's what happens during most scenes, it's like some annoying abl.

Strangely, I haven't seen anything playing PES. I wonder what the "Game" setting does and if this has any influence?

Game mode setting basically cuts all the additional picture processing to reduce input lag.

Last edited:
One thing I do notice is brightness fluctuations, it's annoying to be fair. I notice it on football.

A test is bbc alba on the freesat tuner channel 110. If you have freesat connected put channel 110 and look at the background colour. Can you see the brightness changing?

Well that's what happens during most scenes, it's like some annoying abl.

Game mode setting basically cuts all the additional picture processing to reduce input lag.

I use the Freesat platform, though BBC Alba looks pretty stable to me.

Ignore the Game mode comment. I had a quick blast on PES and it's the same.

The bands are a mild distraction, but they're still a distraction. Like yourself, I'm at the ultra-picky end of the spectrum. I wonder how many people would be bothered by this issue, or indeed spot the bands in the first place. I'm not sure I'd have seen them, if not for my hassles with the GT50.

Anyway, it's late; sleep time...

Still can't fault mine. Think I best stop reading this forum before I do ha ha

Got my vt65 being delivered tomorrow can someone please tell are you able to choose the size of the glasses that come with it?

Hi
My first post here and I'm possibly the only female to be posting! Picture quality is paramount to me, so after a lot of research and reading every post on these boards(!) I have taken the plunge and ordered a VT65
Had a mild wobble when I briefly considered an LED but after viewing it next to the plasma, there was no contest. Also, the sound was so, so much better on the VT65
Couldn't decide on the 50" or the 55" but plumped for the larger screen, with the proviso that I can swap to the smaller screen after a week if necessary ...
Hope you don't mind me posting this amongst all the technical stuff, but I wanted to share my joy with someone !!!

Hi
My first post here and I'm possibly the only female to be posting! Picture quality is paramount to me, so after a lot of research and reading every post on these boards(!) I have taken the plunge and ordered a VT65
Had a mild wobble when I briefly considered an LED but after viewing it next to the plasma, there was no contest. Also, the sound was so, so much better on the VT65
Couldn't decide on the 50" or the 55" but plumped for the larger screen, with the proviso that I can swap to the smaller screen after a week if necessary ...
Hope you don't mind me posting this amongst all the technical stuff, but I wanted to share my joy with someone !!!

Welcome
If anything after a week you'll want a bigger screen not smaller lol.

Hi

Welcome Ellie, I think you may be the only Woman. It'll be great to have a female perspective on things for a change.

Enjoy your new TV, it's special.

Welcome Ellie, I think you may be the only Woman. It'll be great to have a female perspective on things for a change.

Enjoy your new TV, it's special.

On here yeah, there is Vickster though and Im sure there was a couple more.

Sorry if this has been discussed already......

In terms of engineering, what's making the VT65 warm enough to warrant x2 8cm fans where the GT60 has none? Surely none of the extra features add that much additional heat. Even then, the additional depth should give more breathing room and scope for larger heat sinks.

Extra features I can think of:

"Original phosphors"
Ultra filter
Pro contrast filter
Speakers
Camera
Extra gradations

Can't really see how any of the above are adding much extra heat.

Hmmmmmm

Sorry if this has been discussed already......

In terms of engineering, what's making the VT65 warm enough to warrant x2 8cm fans where the GT60 has none? Surely none of the extra features add that much additional heat. Even then, the additional depth should give more breathing room and scope for larger heat sinks.

Extra features I can think of:

"Original phosphors"
Ultra filter
Pro contrast filter
Speakers
Camera
Extra gradations

Can't really see how any of the above are adding much extra heat.

Hmmmmmm

For better performance maybe, also size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom