Panasonic VT65 owners thread part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing that is really annoying me is something that is probably specific to my tv.

Now this issue will show you how much I scruntinise things, wish I wasn't so anal and picky but there you go.

Anyway I was examining my screen from about 2cms as you do :laugh: and noticed that the right side looks like this

img0006zg.jpg

all good, but the left side looks like this

img0007xkl.jpg

Can you see where the glass is there's like a bit of metal sticking out, basically the glass is not as flush as it is on the right side. It obviously is not affecting image quality but it's bugging the hell out of me.

I take it no one elses is the same? God I hate being so picky :laugh:

Last edited:
OUTSTANDING

Right now for a consumer buying today you will NOT get a better image in a dark room.

There's nothing much more to be said with image quality, put a blu-ray on and you'll be left speechless.

I have been following this thread and online reviews for a while and it seems this latest Panasonic is very good but my question would be is it great only "in a dark room"?

Now I haven't touched a Panasonic since the VT20 which I thought was basically rubbish unless you only wanted to watch blu rays - I had major problems with DFC, 50hz issue etc

I know the VT65 works great in a dark room watching movies but how well does the VT65 work for casual day to day use, Sky HD 50hz material, Kids watching Disney Channel during the day, lights on (spot lights dimmed) during evening ?

Does the VT65 lose some of its magic in the above scenario? Would a LED be better suited for me (F8000)

Thanks

Does the VT65 lose some of its magic in the above scenario? Would a LED be better suited for me (F8000)

Thanks

The VT65 does loes some of it's "magic" in a bright room, as most people know you get the most of as plasma in a darker room.

In saying that thought the VT65 is still respectable in the day.

The filter will be leagues ahead of what you had on the VT20.

It's hard to say if a plasma will suit you as I don't know what your room is like, but what I can say is the VT65 deals with light really well.

Why I wouldn't personally go with an led/lcd is because while they hold up in bright environments they don't hold up well in the dark.

The VT65 has better daytime performance than the F8000's night time performance, so for me the VT65 is better as in it's worst environment it performs better than the samsung top ends performance in it's worst environment.

Any tv you buy will have compromises and weaknesses, and the VT has very minimal weaknesses compared to the competition.

Last edited:
One thing that is really annoying me is something that is probably specific to my tv.

Now this issue will show you how much I scruntinise things, wish I wasn't so anal and picky but there you go.

Anyway I was examining my screen from about 2cms as you do :laugh: and noticed that the right side looks like this

all good, but the left side looks like this

Can you see where the glass is there's like a bit of metal sticking out, basically the glass is not as flush as it is on the right side. It obviously is not affecting image quality but it's bugging the hell out of me.

I take it no one elses is the same? God I hate being so picky :laugh:

Ohhhh you going hate this mine perfect all way round :)

You sure about that Jay?! :rotfl:

Hope you're well and so pleased that you're enjoying your VT65!

Well you know first hand what I'm like and how picky I am. You've certainly got patience to have spent 12 hours with my non stop questions and then coming back a few days later lol.

But honestly with regards to the image I can't find any fault.

No issues with uniformity, and if you remember I kept banging on about the blacks in the dark with the VT50 saying that I didn't think they were as inky as people said? Well the VT65 is INKY without a doubt.

Have you calibrated one yet? How about doing mine or do you not want to lose your sanity again :laugh:

I have been following this thread and online reviews for a while and it seems this latest Panasonic is very good but my question would be is it great only "in a dark room"?

Now I haven't touched a Panasonic since the VT20 which I thought was basically rubbish unless you only wanted to watch blu rays - I had major problems with DFC, 50hz issue etc

I know the VT65 works great in a dark room watching movies but how well does the VT65 work for casual day to day use, Sky HD 50hz material, Kids watching Disney Channel during the day, lights on (spot lights dimmed) during evening ?

Thanks

I had a G20 and noticed the issues you mentioned. I got my VT65 on Tuesday and have been watching Freeview HD during the afternoon and evening and it's much better than my G20 at handling dfc, in fact I have not seen any yet.

It's plenty bright enough for us (I set mine up using the settings http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasma-tvs/1769511-panasonic-tx-p50vt65-reviewers-recommended-best-settings.html )

What bugs me is the fan noise....

It is audible but once the ps3 is switched on it drowns it out.

Is yours wall mounted or on a stand? Not sure whether having it wall mounted would make it more audible or dampen the sound.

It is audible but once the ps3 is switched on it drowns it out.

Is yours wall mounted or on a stand? Not sure whether having it wall mounted would make it more audible or dampen the sound.

It's on a wall bracket that I can pull out. I've tried the TV close to the wall and away from the wall (about 60cm) and the noise is the same.

thats great that you havent got the black bands,hopefully my replacement set wont either.

Ok here we go......

Just noticed the black lines you mention, although I wouldn't call them lines.

More like two vertical shadows, just noticed them on a panning shot on a white screen.

They are equally spaced from the middle.

****sake :laugh:

They certainly aren't visible on the update screen though. But on a panning shot on light coloured backgrounds they are clear as day.

To be fair it's not you mentioning it that's made me look for it, I just glanced up while homes under the hammer was on and I thought what the hell is that, and camera panned again and clear as day.

Last edited:
Hi, Can someone please tell me the BOX size (length, width, depth) the 50inch VT60/65 comes in

Thanks, Raz

AVF Jay said:

I take it no one elses is the same? God I hate being so picky
No need to be sorry mate. I'm at least as picky as you are in all, what comes to my VT65 features i've discovered :laugh:
I have the same metal thing sticking out on left side. You only see it, if you´re watching it straight above. It doesn't come over the glass though, if that's what you're wondering.

Oh think Jay now banned :( wont be able get his settings now :(

No need to be sorry mate. I'm at least as picky as you are in all, what comes to my VT65 features i've discovered :laugh:
I have the same metal thing sticking out on left side. You only see it, if you´re watching it straight above. It doesn't come over the glass though, if that's what you're wondering.

Thanks for that, while it bugs me, I do feel better knowing someone else has it.

It makes me think they're possibly all like that, unless we just both have friday afternoon builds :laugh:

Oh think Jay now banned :( wont be able get his settings now :(

I'm not banned, well I don't think so :laugh:

I have a trading ban for pulling out of a sale as I was meant to buy a Pioneer Kuro but decided not to spend a grand on a second hand tv with no comebacks if anything went wrong.

Ok here we go......

Just noticed the black lines you mention, although I wouldn't call them lines.

More like two vertical shadows, just noticed them on a panning shot on a white screen.

They are equally spaced from the middle.

****sake :laugh:

They certainly aren't visible on the update screen though. But on a panning shot on light coloured backgrounds they are clear as day.

To be fair it's not you mentioning it that's made me look for it, I just glanced up while homes under the hammer was on and I thought what the hell is that, and camera panned again and clear as day.
yeah its annoying that they are there,otherwise the screen is fine i may aswell cancel my replacement because it will probably be the same,i even noticed it when playing halo 4 when i was on a bit of snow they stuck out really bad,and i have the metal sticking out on both sides.

Last edited:
yeah its annoying that they are there,otherwise the screen is fine i may aswell cancel my replacement because it will probably be the same,i even noticed it when playing halo 4 when i was on a bit of snow they stuck out really bad.

They are DISGUSTING to be fair :laugh:

We must both be talking about the same thing, they are like two vertical shadows that are fairly thick and equally spaced apart, definitely not pin thin shadows.

To be honest I think I prefer the right hand band on the VT50s :D as it's better than having it in the middle of the screen.

Now if you have it, and you say you've seen it on others I'd say that it will likely be like the 50 series where every tv has it but some will suffer from it more than others.

What did you use to test for it to really show it?

Still look great! What demo disc you using?

Not a demo disc just wallpaper from here Cars HD Desktop Wallpapers - Page 1 :)

I wonder if the GT60 has these bands ?? I'm thinking about looking at GT60 as it does not have fans and it still gets brilliant reviews on picture quality. :)

These lines are a concern. Sounds similar to what the VT30's had. They were parallel to where the VISA mounts are at the back of the TV.

I wonder if the GT60 has these bands ?? I'm thinking about looking at GT60 as it does not have fans and it still gets brilliant reviews on picture quality. :)

Have you seen them then? What content do you notice it on?

These lines are a concern. Sounds similar to what the VT30's had. They were parallel to where the VISA mounts are at the back of the TV.

Just had a look behind the tv where the mounts are and I'd say the vertical shadows are pretty much where the mounts are, definitely in that area.

What happened with the VT30 then? Was it an issue that got solved later on or just something to do with the manufacturing process.

When I had my 42" VT30 I couldn't remember those two particular bands but that's probably because I had about 20 bands across the screen plus it looked like Slimer from ghostbusters was splattered on my screen :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom