Panasonic VT50 TX-P65VT50 65 Inch Flagship 3D Plasma TV Review

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by The News Bot, Aug 16, 2012.

1. The News Bot

The News Bot
      News Supplying Robot

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +446
      Reviewed by Stephen Withers, 16th August 2012. The Panasonic P65VT50 certainly makes for a tempting package, combining a large screen size with attractive looks and a reference performance. So if you're looking for some big screen TV action, it should definitely be at the top of your list.
      Read the full review...

2. Blu-rayx

Blu-rayx

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +316
      "Very subtle instances of 50Hz break-up with fast pans"

Panasonic still having issues with 50Hz, come on panasonic, I think it's about time you address this ongoing problem.

Great review btw :smashin:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
    3. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,532
      I included that for the sake of completeness but I really wouldn't concern yourself about the 50Hz bug anymore, it's just a non-issue these days. As I said you would have to look for it and I doubt most people would ever notice it. In the three weeks I spent with the P65VT50 I was never aware of the 50Hz bug and I watched an insane amount of sport on it!

4. Deleted member 380720

Deleted member 380720

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      Does THX Bright Room raise the black levels? Obviously I appreciate that these levels are perceived less in a bright room, but I'm wondering if one would need to flick back to another setting when the sun sets to see some nice blacks...

5. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,532
      Yes it does and in my opinion THX Bright Room is way too bright from a light output perspective, I measured it at over 150cd/m2 when out target is 120cd/m2. Personally THX Cinema is plenty bright at 106cd/m2 and it had the best blacks at 0.009cd/m2 but as I mentioned in the review, there appeared to be more noise in the dark parts of the image in THX Cinema mode.

6. scowly78

scowly78
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1
      hi,

thanks a lot for this greatly detailed review!

could you guys share your main settings at least colour, contrast, gamma, activated or non activated featurs, at least the main ones as this would help when you can't afford calibration to try tweaking it

cheers

7. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,532
      I would suggest that initially you choose the THX Cinema mode which as you can see from the review is quite accurate. I'd leave the Brightness and Colour settings where they are, move the Contrast to about 70% and set Sharpness to zero. Leave Clear Cinema on and also leave 1080p Pure Direct on. Ensure that the IFC or 24p Smooth Film (depending on what you're watching) is turned off and make sure the Aspect Ratio is set to 16:9. Also check that C.A.T.S. and Vivid Colour are turned off.

If you use one of the Pro modes then leave Brightness and Colour as they are, set Contrast to about 70% and Sharpness to zero and select a Gamma of 2.2 and a Colour Gamut of Rec.709. Again, leave Clear Cinema on and also leave 1080p Pure Direct on. Ensure that the IFC or 24p Smooth Film (depending on what you're watching) is turned off and make sure the Aspect Ratio is set to 16:9 and that 16:9 Overscan is turned off. Also check that C.A.T.S. and Vivid Colour are turned off and Pixel Orbiter is set to Auto.

However if you've spent all that money on a P65VT50, I'd strongly recommend you have it professionally calibrated to get the best out of it.

8. scowly78

scowly78
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1
      hi steve

thanks a lot for your quick answer! i'll test those settings and try it with the disney WOW calibration disk.

of course in intend to calibrate it, but as the house is beeing build, i'll wait a little more than a year to have it done in the house light condition, not the appartment, excepti if you tell me this won't change a lot of things?

Do you have particular settings recommandation for the 3D THX mode? or any other mode to watch bluray 3D?

cheers man you're the best!

9. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,532
      You're welcome. My advice is to go with THX Cinema and the settings I gave you and then you can tweak Brightness and Contrast with your WOW disc.

As for 3D, the THX 3D setting is pretty good too but you might want to boost the Contrast a bit as when it comes to 3D, the brightness of the image is important due to the dimming nature of the glasses.

If you follow Steps 1 and 2 of PicturePerfect (PicturePerfect : AVForums campaign to improve television pictures | AVForums.com - UK Online) you'll be off to a good start and when Step 3 launches it'll take you through Brightness, Contrast etc.

10. OC4J

OC4J

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +68
      Thanks Steve, the recommended settings you have cited above will be the starting point when my 65VT50 arrives on Tuesday. Can't wait!

An excellent review by the way. :thumbsup:

11. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,532
      It's a fantastic TV, you won't be disappointed.

12. TONYELISE

TONYELISE

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +760
      Steve when you say put sharpness on zero do you mean leave it in the middle for all modes except pro where its numbered 5 out the box or wind them down to "zero":smashin:
      Tony

13. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,532
      I mean wind sharpness down to zero (far left hand side) on all modes because otherwise I can see ringing on a sharpness test.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
    14. ktman

ktman

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +93
      Hi Steve great review and thanks for calibrating my 65vt50 last week it looks stunning so much more detail and correct colours superb job

15. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,532
      Thanks Kevin, it's good to hear that you're happy.

I mentioned the fan noise in the review but perhaps you'd care to share your clever solution with the other members?

16. Pecker

Pecker
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
      Ratings:
      +4,569
      I see this is priced at c.£3,800.

What price are the smaller versions?

Sorry, can't check easily myself as my only Internet access is this pesky phone.

Steve W

17. reddevil74

reddevil74

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +276
      The 65inch is priced at around £3400
      The 55inch is priced at around £2100
      The 50inch is priced at around £1700

Or as an alternative 65ST50 is around £2400

18. Pecker

Pecker
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
      Ratings:
      +4,569
      Cheers.

Steve W

19. vism

vism

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,188
      Steve, I had a good look at one of these in a darkened environment and was therefore able to do some proper testing.

I watched some olympic coverage via freeview HD and was surprised to see a fair bit of noise on the picture.

I watched some BMX bikes and some swimming. With the bikes, whenever the bikes moved in the opposite direction to the camera pan, the edges of the bikes and riders blurred. With the swimming, the area around the swimmers (where there was lots of splashing), went blurred and lost definition.
      It didn't look like normal interlace mushing, the areas were quite grainy, it looked like dither noise. It was the same on THX cinema and normal, didn't try the pro modes.

I was a bit disappointed with the picture watching sport and anything that wasn't p24.

Did you see anything like the above and was it a freeview HD only issue?

20. jag man

jag man
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      what is the score with panasonic plasma tvs and banding having an awfull time with my samsung 51in d8000 plasma and banding dispite having had a new screen panasonic will be my next tv pick regardless of what happens to my samsung at the moment samsung are playing hard ball dispite the tv still being in warrenty they are refusing to do anything else unless i pay for it .

21. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,532
      I spent two weeks watching the Olympics via Freeview HD on the P65VT50 and apart from occasional DFC and a bit of noise in the dark areas in THX mode (which you can't see at any reasonable viewing distance) I didn't experience any of the problems you describe. In fact I found a lot of the BBC coverage of the Olympics to be breathtaking on the P65VT50.

22. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,532
      I have experienced line bleed very occasionally on Panasonic plasmas and almost always with the same content (the MPAA rating at the start of US discs is a regular offender) but never to the point of it being distracting or annoying.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
    23. deblee

deblee

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +140
      What is this solution?;)

24. vism

vism

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,188
      What was your source, Freeview HD or Sky?

25. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,532
      Kevin stuck rectangular pieces of felt at the bottom of vents where the fans are, just over the bottom two rows of holes. There are still enough holes for ventilation but the sound of the fans is much reduced. I saw his handiwork and heard the results for myself, so I can vouch for the fact that this tweak works.

26. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,532
      Freeview HD over an aerial, although mostly from a PVR rather than using the internal tuner.

27. jag man

jag man
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      thank you for the reply and pardon my ignorance but just what has mpaa and us discs got to do with banding on my current plasma?and you have said that you have come across banding on panasonic tvs before why then give them a top marks particually as you are running the pictureperfect campaign its not as if these tvs are cheap to buy not for me anyway now the banding i am on about is dark lines and patches paticually when watching football and golf does the panasonic vt50 have these problems or not i see from an old review the vt30 had those issues once again please pardon my ignorance but i am no tv expert i just want something to do my hd justice and get the perfectpicture.one more thing just how good is the screen at reflecting light compared to lets say my d8000 plasma.

28. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,532
      You're quite right Jag Man, the MPAA rating has nothing to do with banding, for some reason I was thinking about line bleed (which it is notorious for) when I answered your question. As far as banding goes I haven't experienced that problem on either of the VT50s I reviewed or the GT50 and ST50 I tested. I'm not saying that there isn't banding on some sets but I haven't personally seen it on the 2012 Panasonics.

Just to be clear, at no point did I suggest the VT50 was perfect - no TV is perfect. The VT50 was awarded a reference badge because it offers the best images currently available and is therefore considered the reference against which other TVs on the market are judged; for a comparison you can read Mark's review of the Samsung E8000.

I found that despite having a single sheet of glass at the front, the filter on the screen of the VT50 was exceptionally good at reducing reflections and rejecting ambient light but I can't directly compare it to the D8000 as I haven't seen one in a year. Of course as I mention in the review, I wouldn't recommend putting the VT50 or any other TV for that matter, directly opposite a window.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
    29. leedebs

leedebs

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +113
      Jag man the vt50 has a better filter but the d8000 does work very well
      Very surprised wrt issues with lines on the d8000, the only ones reported are the 2/3 towards the top half of the screen that have been suggested are caused by the filter itself tbh are only noticeably if at all when the camera pans up, this is dependent on settings as well as certain sets
      The vertical banding that is present on the Panasonics IMO is worse because the majority of camera pans (especially with football) go across so the vertical ones really show up, again the severity is dependent on settings and sets
      IMO aside from the better blacks (no debate about it) the samsungs in my experience seem to have better uniformity & less niggly issues (& I own a Panasonic) to be fair once you have seen the excellent black levels it is very hard to go back

30. pmeister

pmeister
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      Hi readers, is this as good as my old Pioneer 6090 ? If so why ? Why is this better than the old 30 series ? Again any comments would be appreciated, especially if you are a TV engineer. What documented problems did the equivalent old 30 series TV have ? Does this panel have the Kuros technology and filter ?

Thanks readers...:lease: