Panasonic VT50 - Part 13

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll more than likely buy the P55VT50 end of March, beginning of April, so I have a few questions:

1. I'll be sitting 7.2 feet away from it which is pretty close, possibly too. That said, will it benefit the 3D aspect, or might it be detrimental?

2. I'm into emulation, you know playing older shootem'ups via MAME or even Commodore Amiga 500 games, but as you know they are not widescreen. At least not natively and I certainly don't want to stretch them out. So the notebook will go via HDMI to the Plasma, but there will be considerable black borders left and right of the screen, certainly on a 55 inch TV. I won't be playing emulation often, but I do enjoy it from time to time. Will this be an issue concerning retention? I might have 30-minute sessions and then do something else.

Thanks!

I would just like to thank Canary_Jules for his amazing work calibrating my 55VT50 last weekend :thumbsup:

Not had much time until now to watch anything but having just viewed some of the Batman trilogy it's clear the improvements that have been made on an already good picture, it's more like looking through an open window now than watching a TV (Granted, there is some crazy stuff going on outside!).

I'm sure Jules must have had enough of all my questions but he answered them and more very enthusiastically.

I now have Normal, THX Cinema, Professional 1, Professional 1 3D & Professional 2 modes fully calibrated which allows optimised viewing at any time of day.

Morris Schaefer said:
I'll more than likely buy the P55VT50 end of March, beginning of April, so I have a few questions:

1. I'll be sitting 7.2 feet away from it which is pretty close, possibly too. That said, will it benefit the 3D aspect, or might it be detrimental?

2. I'm into emulation, you know playing older shootem'ups via MAME or even Commodore Amiga 500 games, but as you know they are not widescreen. At least not natively and I certainly don't want to stretch them out. So the notebook will go via HDMI to the Plasma, but there will be considerable black borders left and right of the screen, certainly on a 55 inch TV. I won't be playing emulation often, but I do enjoy it from time to time. Will this be an issue concerning retention? I might have 30-minute sessions and then do something else.

Thanks!

1 your distance would be fine.

2. 30 minute sessions should be fine, just have the orbiter on, it would be no different to watching an old 4:3 program.

As for the end of March for purchase, just be aware that you may struggle to get one at that point. The only stock now are the ones shops have and they are dwindling fast.

I am loving my new 50VT50 but could do with some advice as I am finding it quite challenging trawling through 13 parts of this thread.

After watching a 3D movie on PS3 and stopping, the PS3 start up screen goes a bit crazy displaying random colours and lines. 3D Playback is fine though

My PS3 is connected to my 50VT50 via my Arcam AVR4OO (hdmi passthrough). I am not sure if this is a PS3, Arcam or VT50 setting?

Another issue I have is ARC, which I would like to use when watching streamed content on iplayer etc. I cannot seem to get this to work and the manual doesn't offer much help. I may just end up using the optical instead. It would just be easier if I could enable ARC for online viewing as I wouldn't have to drag my amp out to make the connection!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

Are you using HDMI 2 for the ARC and does the amp support ARC?

Are you using HDMI 2 for the ARC and does the amp support ARC?

Yes, using HDMI 2 and the AVR400 does support ARC. I am pretty sure I have set up the Arcam correctly, is it possible that my HDMI cable doesn't support ARC?

Cheers for the fast response by the way :smashin:

Been mulling over getting the 65, managed to persuade RS to price match Hi Spek 2950 with glasses and five year guarantee... Will the price being going lower as the new 2013 models are on the way?? First post from me!!

1000 Cutts said:
Been mulling over getting the 65, managed to persuade RS to price match Hi Spek 2950 with glasses and five year guarantee... Will the price being going lower as the new 2013 models are on the way?? First post from me!!

Doubt they will go any lower, there's not many left now.

nosajs said:
I am loving my new 50VT50 but could do with some advice as I am finding it quite challenging trawling through 13 parts of this thread.

After watching a 3D movie on PS3 and stopping, the PS3 start up screen goes a bit crazy displaying random colours and lines. 3D Playback is fine though

My PS3 is connected to my 50VT50 via my Arcam AVR4OO (hdmi passthrough). I am not sure if this is a PS3, Arcam or VT50 setting?

Another issue I have is ARC, which I would like to use when watching streamed content on iplayer etc. I cannot seem to get this to work and the manual doesn't offer much help. I may just end up using the optical instead. It would just be easier if I could enable ARC for online viewing as I wouldn't have to drag my amp out to make the connection!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

Arcam HDMI is not the most stable, I have one myself. The 400 is more stable than the one I have, think you will find the random colours is the change of resolution, a ps3 may change from3D, to 1080/24p to 1080/60 to 1080/50 to 1080i in a short space of time. Basically don't worry about it.

Arc needs setting correctly on the amp,

The output from the amp needs to go to HDMI 2 on the tv, on page E36 of the Arcam instruction book Arc control needs to be enabled, I suspect the problem is with the HDMi audio control to TV, this needs to be OFF for arc to work, switching this on means sound basically means the sound is played back through the TV speakers and not through the amp.

Hi guys!
So I started reading the whole thread from part 1 about VT50, and I then I saw part 13 of it lol. But nvm that.
I'm thinking of getting a plasma tv. But there are some concerns that I have. I've read avsforums, and here that Panasonics tend to get IR very quickly. So I'm wondering if I should get it in the first place.
My main thing will be console games, lots of blu ray movies and well some occasional tv viewing. But sometimes I connect my laptop to tv.
Is it really that bad with the IR/burn in thing? Right now I've got a LED LCD. And the thing that bothers me most is that black is more grayish than it should be. Also how reliable ar plasmas vs lcd's?

Arcam HDMI is not the most stable, I have one myself. The 400 is more stable than the one I have, think you will find the random colours is the change of resolution, a ps3 may change from3D, to 1080/24p to 1080/60 to 1080/50 to 1080i in a short space of time. Basically don't worry about it.

Arc needs setting correctly on the amp,

The output from the amp needs to go to HDMI 2 on the tv, on page E36 of the Arcam instruction book Arc control needs to be enabled, I suspect the problem is with the HDMi audio control to TV, this needs to be OFF for arc to work, switching this on means sound basically means the sound is played back through the TV speakers and not through the amp.

Many thanks ********

So I need not worry about the random colours then

I will have a play with the Arcam settings later tonight if I get chance to see if I can get ARC working

I will report back to let you know how I get on :thumbsup:

I posted this on the GT50 thread (myself and ELITE both have this issue) but thought it might be useful to see if any VT50 owners are affected by it.

My GT50 has developed a problem too over the last few weeks. White/greyish patches/strips in left and right sides of screen from top to about half way down vertically. Middle of the screen is unaffected though. It looks like LCD clouding.

It's only visible on a blank input or a black screen i.e films with lots of night scenes.

It looks like image retention from watching a 4:3 image but in reverse. i.e the 4:3 bit is actually darker than the sides.

Image retention generally is a lot worse too. I'm using Pro Mode with Pixel Orbitor on. Probably done close to 1500 hours.

Ran the scrolling bar over night twice but it's still there. Going to run white snow on it as well tonight.

Hoping it's not a nasty surprise for a lot of owners to come.

I remember my V10 black level rise in 2009

I'm trying to ascertain whether this is a problem that can affect VT owners or whether this may just be an issue with ST/GT?
Can any VT50 owners who've had their set for well over 1000 hours verify if their set is ok or not?

I posted this on the GT50 thread (myself and ELITE both have this issue) but thought it might be useful to see if any VT50 owners are affected by it.

I'm trying to ascertain whether this is a problem that can affect VT owners or whether this may just be an issue with ST/GT?
Can any VT50 owners who've had their set for well over 1000 hours verify if their set is ok or not?

my set has over 2000 hours and i have this issue on a blank input. carnt be seen with normal content. also if you switch modes to normal or cinema it disappears. tbh its more of an annoyance than an issue.

Last edited:
my set has over 2000 hours and i have this issue on a blank input. carnt be seen with normal content. also if you switch modes to normal or cinema it disappears. tbh its more of an annoyance than an issue.

It's not just noticeable on a blank input on mine. If that was the case I wouldn't be bothered about it. Any pure black slide or night scenes on films/tv it can be seen easily if the room lighting is lower than daytime. The areas are rather large about three inches across on both sides on mine.

Yeah I've noticed if you put it in thx/normal/game it lessens. You can still see it though it's just harder to see. It's worse on Pro/Cinema modes.

It's not just noticeable on a blank input on mine. If that was the case I wouldn't be bothered about it. Any pure black slide or night scenes on films/tv it can be seen easily if the room lighting is lower than daytime. The areas are rather large about three inches across on both sides on mine.

Yeah I've noticed if you put it in thx/normal/game it lessens. You can still see it though it's just harder to see. It's worse on Pro/Cinema modes.

How about 3D mode ? Given brightness is increased, is it worse ?

ive had my vt50 for two months and have started to notice a sort of flickering mist or should i say a pulsating its a bit hard to describe like a fluttering light you can just make out and if i close my eyes i can see it for a second gor two.
it dosent happen all the time but its stating to get on my nerves and might get worse. has anyone else had this happen or is it something more common that i am not aware of.my last tv a pioneer 4280xd didnt show anythig like this.

ive had my vt50 for two months and have started to notice a sort of flickering mist or should i say a pulsating its a bit hard to describe like a fluttering light you can just make out and if i close my eyes i can see it for a second gor two.
it dosent happen all the time but its stating to get on my nerves and might get worse. has anyone else had this happen or is it something more common that i am not aware of.my last tv a pioneer 4280xd didnt show anythig like this.

Could you give more details ?

i will have a try i just had a look at channel 4 hd and part of the show showed a light cream wall and the picture has well all i can say its like a shimmer or a fluctuation to it.
its very subtle its not a solid thing if you can understand what i am trying to say.
i think ive come up with a way to describe it its as if your watching tv and your eyelids are fluttering and affecting the light getting to your eyes.
sorry for sounding vauge but it really is hard to describe.
i have a few mates comeing over tomorro and they have not seen the tv before so i will sit them down to watch and see if they pick up on it.

Hi fella's just to say ive had my vt50 55" since may 2012 and has been great, top notch picture quality, i could see a faint band on right hand side if you really look for it, (mainly on green).

But now ive got 2 problems.
Its on all modes but easier to see in cinema mode, on the right were the band was quite a large patch that the blacks have rissen, the same on the left hand side, its lighter in shade than that of the rest of screen and is only really noticeable on darker scenes. Dissapointing.
And now also the panel has started as of the last couple of days starting to emit a noticeable buzzing (not fan noise) depending on content, buzzes mostly the brighter or whiter thats on screen, quite distracting even at normal volume.

Ive not been in touch with peter tyson yet who i bought the screen from, but wondering the chances of a replacement.

image-1333466376.jpg

This may give an idea as to the lighter patches
But the horizontal lines is just off iphone camera.

Hi fella's just to say ive had my vt50 55" since may 2012 and has been great, top notch picture quality, i could see a faint band on right hand side if you really look for it, (mainly on green).

Its on all modes but easier to see in cinema mode, on the right were the band was quite a large patch that the blacks have rissen, the same on the left hand side, its lighter in shade than that of the rest of screen and is only really noticeable on darker scenes. Dissapointing.
And now also the panel has started as of the last couple of days starting to emit a noticeable buzzing (not fan noise) depending on content, buzzes mostly the brighter or whiter thats on screen, quite distracting even at normal volume.

Ive not been in touch with peter tyson yet who i bought the screen from, but wondering the chances of a replacement.

View attachment 378446

Check a few grey slides. Those light patches on black were green on other content with old set.

Panasonic refunded my tv for that (NL)

View attachment 378446

i have the same issue with the white patches but mine can only be seen on a blank input. be interesting to here what peter tyson say about this and if they class it as a fault, as mine could theoretically go the same way :(

Last edited:

View attachment 378446

I had almost exactly the same issue on my 50ST50, except that the lighter blacks on the edges were much more visible in 3D mode and not so much in 2D.

Apparently, we are a few here to have had this fault.

Anyway, it so happened that my screen also had a horrible red tint at the center of the panel. So it was taken away by Panasonic repair services two weeks ago (and I'm waiting for their decision).

View attachment 378446

I have the same issue with my GT50 and it can be seen on all dark scenes and a blank input. It very noticeable on cinema/pro modes, not so on normal/thx.

I'm considering contacting my retailer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom