Panasonic VT30, Panasonic Skype camera and Onkyo 809 connection

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by wernerxxxjam, Jan 10, 2012.

1. wernerxxxjam

wernerxxxjam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there

I need some help on the following problem which I just can get sorted.

I have various components connected to my Onkyo 809 amp through HDMI, with the output connected to a Panasonic VT30 TV. I recently bought a Panasonic Skype camera and connected the camera to the USB port at the back of the TV. At first I had no sound other than turning up the sound for the TV itself.

I have since connected an optical cable to the TV and are now able to get sound through my amp for all the background apps running through the "Internet" option on the TV remote, i.e. Youtube, Eurosport, Iconcerts etc, but for some reason I just cant get any sound from my Skype application. The application itself connects to the internet fine and my contacts can hear me via the Camera mics, but there is no way I am getting sound through my amp speakers.

I would also like to know if it would be possible for an incoming call from skype to mute or to take over the sound from what is on the tv, i.e SKY so when a call is incoming via Skype, it automatically changes the sound on the amp to receive the Skype sound.

Is this possible or would I need to select the Input selection for where the optical cable is assigned too?

Please is there anyone who can help me with this as it is driving me crazy. Everything else seems to work fine, it is just the skype I cant get to work through my amp.

Thank you so much!

2. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,503
    There is a lengthy owners thread for your TV in the TV forum. I would search there. It's at 8 parts so you have several threads to trawl. Hopefully you'll find the answer there.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasma-tvs/1559470-panasonic-vt30-owners-thread-part-8-a.html

You will not be automatically be able to change the sound on the amp as it is connected via a dumb cable (optical). I don't know if ARC/HDMI CEC could achieve this. It wouldn't take too long to try out. Did you enable ARC? Ensure Audio Return Channel is enabled on the receiver in the setup menu and also that Vierra Link / ARC options are turned on in the TV setup menu. As both TV and AV receiver are ARC compatible there should be no need for the optical cable. However, HDMI CEC (Vierra Link, Anynet+, Kuro Link, Bravia Sync) can introduce problems but if all your sources are connected via HDMI through the receiver, it shouldn't be a problem.