Panasonic VT30 Owners thread Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curly99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a Samsung UND-46D7000; really I was happy with it. But the problems don't finish. Banding, bleeding, clouding, ghosting and etc... so I will give it to back
and now, I've seen 50vt30; really it is amazing. But it will be my first plazma tv. when I read comments, I have seen that there is a burn in issue; so what will I do, I don't know...
Can this problem be after 200 hours? So we should change channel in every two hours. I have childrens and they watch cartoon all day, no problem first 200 hours but after they will destroy tv. I don't want to give 4000 dollars to be crazy, but I am near to crazy.
what is your advice?
Is there this green cloud in all vt30 or we can see some of tv?

@ Simon Lill - taken from the previous thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkarl

No mate I like the setting but colour as to be down 3 notches for me.
Cinema setting is very nice as well and it is hard to pick between them , don't know weather I prefer the color setting on warm or normal in cinema setting.
She is a beauty that's for sure
3 notches down from max?
I think KingKarl means 3 notches down from default setting in THX mode.

I have a Samsung UND-46D7000; really I was happy with it. But the problems don't finish. Banding, bleeding, clouding, ghosting and etc... so I will give it to back
and now, I've seen 50vt30; really it is amazing. But it will be my first plazma tv. when I read comments, I have seen that there is a burn in issue; so what will I do, I don't know...
Can this problem be after 200 hours? So we should change channel in every two hours. I have childrens and they watch cartoon all day, no problem first 200 hours but after they will destroy tv. I don't want to give 4000 dollars to be crazy, but I am near to crazy.
what is your advice?
Is there this green cloud in all vt30 or we can see some of tv?

There is reports of VT30s without that green patch, but taking into consideration that people have been trying up to four different sets and still had this green patch on their tv makes the odds a bit bad in my opinion.

Also, you mention you have had problems with a Samsung and it seems like you're a bit skeptical. The D7000/D8000 plasma does not suffer from most of the issues their LED/LCD does, so that's an unfair comparison :)

There is reports of VT30s without that green patch, but taking into consideration that people have been trying up to four different sets and still had this green patch on their tv makes the odds a bit bad in my opinion.

Also, you mention you have had problems with a Samsung and it seems like you're a bit skeptical. The D7000/D8000 plasma does not suffer from most of the issues their LED/LCD does, so that's an unfair comparison :)
My 50vt30 is fault free and i could not be happier with it have you looked at any of the philips or sharp lcd,s there are some good reviews on these sets.

My 50vt30 is fault free and i could not be happier with it have you looked at any of the philips or sharp lcd,s there are some good reviews on these sets.

LCD is not an option, so I have ordered a Samsung D8005 which I hope to be able to get today, and get this infernal VT30 out :)

Hi wasnt too sure where to post this so thought i would try here
Ok after chasing this tv for many months and i managed to get JL to pricematch so ending up getting it for £999 i also bought the panasonic 3d 210 bluray player.So i am getting it on monday and getting JL to install it.Any tips etc over what i should and shouldnt do over the next few weeks.
First time plasma owner as before i had a panasonic 28 quintrox which just wont die for at least 10 years.

@ Simon Lill - taken from the previous thread

I think KingKarl means 3 notches down from default setting in THX mode.

Yes 3 notches down from the mid default setting looks better to me on THX , as for the Cinema mode I just can't decide between warm and normal colour :confused:
I also leave sharpness on default mid setting in these 2 modes reducing it to zero like people suggest with HD sources does nothing to my eyes.

Also this 24 smooth setting plays havoc at the start of Dark Knight with the left hand side skyscraper shuddering all over the shop , off and it's fine.

Yes 3 notches down from the mid default setting looks better to me on THX , as for the Cinema mode I just can't decide between warm and normal colour :confused:
I also leave sharpness on default mid setting in these 2 modes reducing it to zero like people suggest with HD sources does nothing to my eyes.

Also this 24 smooth setting plays havoc at the start of Dark Knight with the left hand side skyscraper shuddering all over the shop , off and it's fine.
Quite agree - though for me 'normal' just looks more natural, 'warm' makes wveryone look as if they live outside Sellafield and 'smooth' they all look as if they are moving about on skates - far too fluid to be natural :laugh:

Anyone think or know of a potential price drop for the 50 inch version in the next few months? Couldn't justify £1500 but maybe a few hundred quid cheaper and I'd be tempted

adyady said:
Anyone think or know of a potential price drop for the 50 inch version in the next few months? Couldn't justify £1500 but maybe a few hundred quid cheaper and I'd be tempted

Next years models will be announced at the CES event in Vegas next month, so price might drop after that. If my green blob doesn't disappear I will be sending mine back and waiting for next years models.

Quite agree - though for me 'normal' just looks more natural, 'warm' makes wveryone look as if they live outside Sellafield and 'smooth' they all look as if they are moving about on skates - far too fluid to be natural :laugh:

Chernobyl more like mate !! :laugh:

Have mine set on pro2,warm and sharpness at 5,never understood when i looked at calibrated settings over the years and they have it on movie and sharpness at zero.

Can never convince me that the settings are any good like that.

Before i had this set calibrated i used to always use normal,warm2 and sharpness at 40.but them days was always lcd

Have mine set on pro2,warm and sharpness at 5,never understood when i looked at calibrated settings over the years and they have it on movie and sharpness at zero.

Can never convince me that the settings are any good like that.

Before i had this set calibrated i used to always use normal,warm2 and sharpness at 40.but them days was always lcd

It's because the sharpness is actually "faked". 0 = unprocessed, while anything above does try to sharpen the picture in software.

Well give me the faked look over unprocessed any day,imo it looks much better

I understood the sharpness setting to have no effect in 720p and 1080p modes.

As far as I had read, in this forum I think, the sharpness setting only affects SD pictures.

MultiRoom said:
I understood the sharpness setting to have no effect in 720p and 1080p modes.

As far as I had read, in this forum I think, the sharpness setting only affects SD pictures.

Not the case for me. 0 sharpness gives a soft image even on bluray. I have sharpness edging towards max.

Receiving my 3rd replacement 55VT30 on the weekend.Not sure what build.Wish me luck.

Receiving my 3rd replacement 55VT30 on the weekend.Not sure what build.Wish me luck.

Good luck mate , if you have no luck this time get the 65VT30 it's a monster and a whole new dimenson with HD & 3D.

I am over the bloody moon with mine I tell ya and I came from the 55VT30 :smashin:

Not the case for me. 0 sharpness gives a soft image even on bluray. I have sharpness edging towards max.

Sharpness for me is on mid scale default setting in cinema and THX mode's
I have time and time again dialled this back to zero and always put it back to mid point , the picture is awesome :thumbsup:

What HDMI cables are people using out of interest?

Had to buy some right angled ones so as to avoid cables sticking out the side, but the choice was limited...

Is vivid colour a good option to use? Thanks.

Vivid colour is very subtle on the new pannys, not nearly as intense as the setting on my old pz700. It's up to you to have it on or not, find a scene with lots of colour and pause it, then toggle the setting - that's really the only way to see the difference since it is so subtle. I could not see the change while video was in motion.

The sharpness setting does indeed affect all picture modes and resolutions, the option that only has an effect on SD is the "resolution enhancer" which is a subtle form of sharpening itself. I have also read the guides advising sharpness=0 for HD content, but I too find this gives film too much blur/softness. I have it on 3 for video content and 4 for gaming - 5 (default) tends to introduce artifacts, and as a rule I would say increase it until you notice artifacts, then decrease by 1.

Last edited:
I wanted to ask something else...

I am using a tweaked Pro1 with these settings:
IFC off for everything (blu rays, dvds, ps3 and sky hd).
Color Remaster is on Auto
Resolution Enhancer is on Mid

Will these settings give me the most natural picture ? What should I adjust from them?

Last thing... What about sharpness? I currently have it on 0 (was 5 previously) max is 10.

Thanks

The idea of the pro modes is to give you two default, untweaked settings modes with every option unlocked. It's for if you want to do a full calibration(s), and of course that's the best way to get a proper colour temperature etc.

As I mentioned above Res Enhancer will do nothing unless the input is SD, and even then it's subtle. Sharpness is another thing you should just change yourself. The difference between 2 adjacent 'notches' is very small, i suggest loading some typical viewing material, freezing the picture, and adjusting it yourself to see what happens and what looks most natural to you.

By the way, for those who don't know the freeze picture button is right below the Blue button on the tv remote. This lets you freeze the current image, and then open menu to adjust things like Sharpness while the image is still as this is sometimes the best way to see alterations. Pressing the button again unfreezes the picture.

Some people prefer to make adjustments while there is motion, but it's harder to see differences this way, so it's best if you can for example get a small clip to repeat itself.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom