Panasonic VT30 Dust And Fingerprint Marks Behind Glass!

Speedoman

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I brought a 50 inch VT30 on Wednesday and with the TV off I could see small pieces of dust what I would describe as white dots and little white lines like white hair behind the glass when I was looking at the glass closely.

I also noticed what I would describe as fingerprint marks behind the glass.

I have noticed this in daylight and at night time with the living room lights on

This is definitely behind the glass. I used a damp microfiber cloth to clean the glass first and it did not remove what I was seeing.

I took the TV back to the shop and they could see what I meant and they exchanged it for another TV.

Got the TV home and exactly the same!

You need to stand next to the glass closely to see the above.

I know the boxes of these two TV’S have not been opened before me purchasing them.

I have a PZ800 and also a VT20 and those are fine.

I brought this TV because I am selling the VT20.

Anyone else experience this?

Oh Dear :eek: this does not instill confidence. expecting my VT30 week after next

Hi

I brought a 50 inch VT30 on Wednesday and with the TV off I could see small pieces of dust what I would describe as white dots and little white lines like white hair behind the glass when I was looking at the glass closely.

I also noticed what I would describe as fingerprint marks behind the glass.

I have noticed this in daylight and at night time with the living room lights on

This is definitely behind the glass. I used a damp microfiber cloth to clean the glass first and it did not remove what I was seeing.

I took the TV back to the shop and they could see what I meant and they exchanged it for another TV.

Got the TV home and exactly the same!

You need to stand next to the glass closely to see the above.

I know the boxes of these two TV’S have not been opened before me purchasing them.

I have a PZ800 and also a VT20 and those are fine.

I brought this TV because I am selling the VT20.

Anyone else experience this?

maybe a bad batch?

you can check quite easily before you take your next one, if the box is same as last years sets it should just lift up when you take the plastic bits out from the sides.

how did you know it hadn't been opened before you?

The way you can tell if the box has not been opened from the factory is by looking at the plastic tab that you hold with your finger to pull the plastic insert out from the cardboard box.

The plastic tab that you hold with your finger is angled inwards towards the cardboard box.

When you first pull the plastic insert out from the cardboard box and then refit the plastic insert back in the cardboard box, the plastic tab that you hold with your finger is then sticking out at an angle. It is not angled inwards towards the cardboard box again i.e. because the plastic tab that you hold with your finger has flexed because you have pulled it once already.

Hope the above makes sense.

Hi,

I took delivery of my 50VT30 a few days ago.

I've just been and inspected my TV and I can't see any of what you described.

I have to say though that I am thrilled with this TV. Watched my first full 3d Blu Ray film last night
(Resident Evil Afterlife) and I was thrilled with the results.

Very nice TV and no regrets so far here.

Here is where I made my purchase...
PANASONIC TX-P50VT30B 50" FULL HD 3D PLASMA TV : PANASONIC Plasma TV 50" - 59"

I'm also using the Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D Bluray player.

Hope this helps

Well I hope it was just a small batch with these problems!!

Still no excuse for a branded company like panasonic to miss this in quality checks!!!

The serial numbers for both TV's I have had are about 30 numbers apart

Please remember you have to get very very close to the TV glass to spot this.

I agree by me sitting on the sofa away from the TV, I will not spot these problems but that is not the point

The point is these problems should not exsist!!!

Well I hope it was just a small batch with these problems!!

Still no excuse for a branded company like panasonic to miss this in quality checks!!!

The serial numbers for both TV's I have had are about 30 numbers apart

Please remember you have to get very very close to the TV glass to spot this.

I agree by me sitting on the sofa away from the TV, I will not spot these problems but that is not the point

The point is these problems should not exsist!!!

Would you be able to take a picture and post it for us to see?

Maybe with a good quality camera you might be able to zoom in and focus?

I got a screen cleaner with mine... spray cleaner and a padded wiper.

I did notice that when I sprayed the spray on the screen and after I'd wiped it. It left a halo circle.
Took some wiping over the same area for it to go completely. So I'm thinking maybe it is something on the top of the glass that is going to take more attention for it to be gone.

Hi

I would do so, but the first TV has been returned already and I just repacked the second TV carefully in the box last night ready to take back tomorrow.

My advice is put your face as close to the TV glass as possible and carefully check the entire glass.

Also look at the glass from an angle.

I did also speak to a repair centre listed on the Panasonic web site last week and they said what I saw should not be their!! They mentioned dirt between the two pieces of plasma glass!

I reference to the fingerprint marks I was describing another way to describe it would be marks left by disposable latex gloves.

WITHOUT A DOUBT WHAT I SAW WAS BEHIND THE GLASS AND NOT ON THE EXTERIOR!!!!!!

As I am returning the 50 inch tomorrow

I'm now looking into buying a 55 inch VT30 with 5 year warranty.

Anyone know of any good prices and availabilty?

Thanks!

Any chance of some pictures before you return it?

Got mine yesterday, had to obviously lift it out the bottom box to get it up onto the stand, the fact that it is only one sheet of glass means the fingers prints do seem to stay on the slightly darker black bits around the edges, will try a nice screen clean but they didn't seem to want to come off, nothing major but a little annoying.

Haven't noticed any other dots or such.

As I am returning the 50 inch tomorrow

I'm now looking into buying a 55 inch VT30 with 5 year warranty.

Anyone know of any good prices and availabilty?

Thanks!

I just ordered my 55 inch Vt30 with bmp 310 bluray player with 6 year warranty hdmi cable free delivery.
Got it from panasonic livingston in Scotland for £2800
Cheapest ive found in england is £2640 from here without bluray player £2870 with player

shop@panasonic Leicester -Your local Panasonic dealer

Hi Doron. Is this what you saw on your screen?
My apologies for the poor quality of these pics, its very hard taking a close up of a very shiny surface!
As a crane surveyor I'm pretty sure I know what these marks are. They are where the glass has been handled by a pneumatic lifting beam (in the factory). That fact that these marks are in all 4 corners of the screen confirms this suspicion. Does anybody else see these marks on the INSIDE of their screen?

Some more pics. Again, sorry for the poor quality, it's the best I could do...

I think I'll also post these pics in the VT owners thread. Hope thats ok?

Hi

Thanks for your post. Yes that it what I saw! Not as many marks on the TV’s I had as yours!!!

Good idea, post them in the VT30 owners thread

After returning the two 50 inch TV’s I brought a 55 inch VT30 last Friday and the screen is fine!

I would suggest returning the TV. That is not acceptable!

Doron

OUCH! not good L :(

Not seen anything like that on my VT30 50".

Wonder if the batch is close to the ones Doron had?

PM sent! :)

this is a worrying find guys? thought there would be all sorts of inspections before they left the factory to identify issues like this?:mad:

this is a worrying find guys? thought there would be all sorts of inspections before they left the factory to identify issues like this?:mad:

I very much agree.
It's certainly not going to do Panasonic's ever climbing good reputation much good.

Wonder how many effected sets are in circulation.

Just for your information, my 55VT30 has no marks as mentioned by the OP, I would just send it back if it did.

I discovered these on my set recently. Am persuing the dealer and Panasonic about the issue. Panasonic offered a clean up but I'm worried dust will get in when it's taken apart. Mine are on the top left, top right and I think bottom left. Not sure about bottom right.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom