Panasonic VT20 Owners blur & pan shot issues - part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

greekzero

Standard Member
Reaction score
Please post here only the VT20 owners with blur or the pan shot issue.
Serial Number FA-0260138
I have the same issue like some other owners,when the camera is moving fast and specialy on a football game it shows multiple lines on the centre line.

Last edited:
I see the same with the football. It's more than a simple blurring its a an artefacting of the lines and the players when the camera pans, happens for a half a second or so and looks nasty. Switching IFC on eliminates this but i'm not happy that i have to do so as IFC can introduce other minor artefacts.

People can't use your serial number for anything malevolent can they?

FA-0250259

Only see it on the halfway line on longer goal kicks and only after reading the bloody thread and looking for it :( It's worse if i move closer to the TV.

its horible isnt it when you know its there you see it all the time

Could this to be that the TV is simply failing to detect large motion in pans and hence the de-interlacer is reverting to 'weave' method when IFC is switched off?

Possibly then compounded by the badly de-interlaced fields being displayed at 100hz resulting in the repeated lines being seen?

It might explain why those using certain Onkyo amps for example, if setup with 1080p output, and hence using the amp's de-interlacer, don't see this problem?

Can those with SR608/SR875 etc. possibly try HDMI passthrough, hence bypassing the de-interlacer, to see if they can recreate the problem?

And those with Sky HD please try setting video output of the Sky box to 720p hence de-interlace in the sky box, to see if this helps?

I'm curious as to what the results will be?

I have an SR-875 but don't yet have the VT20 as I'm put off by this issue and don't know whether to buy it or not? :confused:

Just a thought: I don't have this problem, and others too don't. I use the scaler in my receiver to do SD / Satelitte upscaling. maybe it's the internal scaling in the VT20 that is the source here????

Just a thought: I don't have this problem, and others too don't. I use the scaler in my receiver to do SD / Satelitte upscaling. maybe it's the internal scaling in the VT20 that is the source here????

I doubt it's the scaler but more likely to be the de-interlacer in the telly I think? Are you able to bypass the video processing on your amp to try?

Mine's serial number is FA-0330102

Additional pitch lines and Ready Brek halos around players in THX, Cinema, Pro1 or Pro2 modes when the camera pans during HD football. Less bad when using Normal or Game mode. TV connected straight to Sky HD box via HDMI.

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum but just thought I would add to the motion topic and my thoughts on the VT20. I would greatly appreciate any advice from you technical experts out there about my problem which seemingly affects a lot of us VT20 owners.
After working on the wife for a few weeks I was eventually given the green light to upgrade our TV from out 5 year old, sturdy 42 inch Hitachi PD7200 plasma to the Panasonic VT20. I am no expert, but my Hitachi althought no way near perfect, handled sport perfectly well in my eyes. Waited 5 weeks from Fenwicks department store in Newcastle Upon Tyne before it was delivered, as all other local stores and UK dealers were sold out due to the impressive reviews of the set and the 3D capability. My set was delivered last Friday just in time for the World Cup opening game and I was initially blown away. Sport looked great, blu-rays via my P3s knocked the socks of my old Hitachi and even the wife could see the difference in quality.!!!!
One weeks later, whilst browsing through AV Forums I stumbled on this thread and went back to my panel to compare results, Yep I too suffer from the same issues on Sport, with the extra lines on the half way line when the TV moves quickly after goal kicks and the like on HD world cup footy and the rugby on SKY Sports HD. Re-connected my old TV through my source SKY HD box (do not have freesat or freefree enabled by the way on the VT20) and motion is fine, this is really frustrating as now that I have spotted this issue, I cant help seeing all the time and even after the world up ends, my main viewing will be sport. Tried watching on Normal, Cinema and THX and its the same issue, only when IFC is on does this extra line go away, but then loads of other glitches pop up which to be honest, are more annoying.
I feel gutted that I paid £2300 for a TV, which all the reviews I have read state delivers the best 2D picture of all plasma currently on the market, but it actually is pants at fast moving sport!!! Do you think this issue could be fixed by an update from Panasonic or am I stuck with this? Really dont know what to do or where I stand.

Was watching the Cameroon match last night and the problem didnt seem too bad, certainly not as bad as the England game was, I did turn on IFC to see what it was like and its not bad with footy tbh, I did flick over to Angels & Demons with IFC still on, uuuuurgh, its just awful, makes everything look like its going in fast forward and although some things were smooth I found it very jerky on panning shots with that film, although had a look at a few more channels with IFC on and it wasn't evident, still just looks so artificial though.

Cant believe my 5 year old PV500 has better motion handling than this, crazy.

Panasonic, what are you doing?

I changed the gamma to 2.4 and clicked brightness and contrast down two clicks and this helped quite alot.

Still not happy though.

My serial number:

FA-0310010

So do we like look for a pattern in the serials now? And perhaps maybe somone could pass these on to panasonic?

My serial is FA-025xxxx

I think just the first part of the serial is enough. We now need serials of those that don't have the problem.

Ekotan is the newest set so far at 33.

I really don't know what to do next... Is this as some people are stating, just a minor issue that can be rectified by a firmware update from Panasonic or is my set actually faulty and that I should contact fenwicks and request a replacement that may or may not, have exactly the same issue?
Can I please ask you guys who are in the same boat, are you going to keep the set or contact your supplier?

Could this to be that the TV is simply failing to detect large motion in pans and hence the de-interlacer is reverting to 'weave' method when IFC is switched off?

Possibly then compounded by the badly de-interlaced fields being displayed at 100hz resulting in the repeated lines being seen?

It might explain why those using certain Onkyo amps for example, if setup with 1080p output, and hence using the amp's de-interlacer, don't see this problem?

Can those with SR608/SR875 etc. possibly try HDMI passthrough, hence bypassing the de-interlacer, to see if they can recreate the problem?

And those with Sky HD please try setting video output of the Sky box to 720p hence de-interlace in the sky box, to see if this helps?

I have an SR-875 but don't yet have the VT20 as I'm put off by this issue and don't know whether to buy it or not? :confused:

I have my yamaha 1065 outputing at 1080p and still see this problem.

I'll try playing with the Sky box next.

Another thing - has this been noticed in the US? They have NTSC. Perhaps a PAL issue?

I doubt it's the scaler but more likely to be the de-interlacer in the telly I think? Are you able to bypass the video processing on your amp to try?

Yes, I will try that and post result.

FA-0250

technition is comming tomorror and i asked for him to come during the football match so i can show him the problem properly.
I will ask for a replacement and hopefully it doesn't have the same problem.

if it does though i still think ill probably end up keeping it as theres not really a better set out there.
Despite this problem its still the best set released since the kuro in my opinion so theres not really anything else to choose.
I watched legion last night and the picture blows me away on this set and thats without it being calibrated.

Thanks for the idea mate, tried it at 720p and it looks exactly the same :(

My serial starts FA-031

Italy vs new Zealand match. Looks really bad. (both HD and sd).

I tried watching a bit of football on iplayer and itv player. Both had horrid bitrate and frame rate seemed a little choppy BUT I did not see the ready brek or double/triple lines.

I only tried it out for a few minutes though so maybe someone else could double check as well?

I watched bits of the Italy match and I thought it was pretty good overall, I could see the triple centre line but it didnt seem as bad as sopme previous games but that was really about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom