Panasonic VT20 halves colour spectrum in 3D mode?

BradleyLove

Prominent Member
Reaction score
A chap on the Beyond3D forums is reporting that the VT20 halves the colour spectrum when using 3D mode:

One other disappointment was that the Viera halves the color spectrum
(number of supported colors) in 3D mode. It wasn't very noticeable on
dark backgrounds, but may prove to have an impact on certain bright
games and Blu-ray. Apparently the Bravia, although not full 1080P
maintains the full color spectrum even when in 3D mode. I will report
on the Bravia once it arrives.

Can anyone shed any light on this as the AVF review didn't seem to mention this?

A chap on the Beyond3D forums is reporting that the VT20 halves the colour spectrum when using 3D mode:

Can anyone shed any light on this as the AVF review didn't seem to mention this?

Doesn't look like it from the CIE Diagram in this review Bradley.

There's no question the glasses dim everything but no suggestion the full and correct gamut isn't represented without them on. It remains to be seen what the Sony specs are like:)

I have just put in my VT20 ... think that chap is mistaken ...:lesson:

Its probably more accurate to say that the colour spectrum is doubled whilst in 2D mode.

The development of the fast-phosphor technology allowed them to increase the colour gradiations when operating at up to 60hz.

Whilst in 3D mode, the faster phosphors are at work actually producing the 120hz image but the colour performance should be at least as good as previous panasonics.

The improved performance in 2D mode is more a pleasent additional / side effect rather than the 3D mode detracting from the standard operating performance of the TV.

But in tests with the JVC lcd (which we're currently using on the latest [can't say but involves cars turning into robots]), we've noticed that color accuracy gets chucked out in 3D mode. We can dial it in to 709. But that's only in 2D. 3D is guessing game.

If you're concerned about color, I'd suggest borrowing a colorimeter and taking note of any changes occurring with the glasses. Shoot anything 'white' and then shoot the same point w/ the glasses in front. The Xpand system, for example, introduces a ton of green.

For reference, we're setting projectors to 4.0fL. I'm not sure if this is movie house spec (they're probably far under). But all color grading and dailies playback are taking place at that level... in 3D. So if you want your movies to look as the colorist and dp intended, that's the goal.

I wouldn't be too concerned about color depth. Your brain tends to fill in those gaps. I'd be more on the lookout for any artifacting. But that's my $0.02.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom