1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic vs Sony

Discussion in 'TVs' started by nwingfield, Nov 5, 2001.

Tags:
  1. nwingfield

nwingfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am trying to choose between the Panasonic TX-32PB50 and the Sony KV32FX65 and have read good reviews about both units.

The Panasonic will give me Dolby Digital whereas the Sony is just Nicam although I understand that the Sony comes with a built-in sub-woofer giving it above average stereo sound. The question is whether the Dolby Digital is (that much) better especially considering the "inconvenience" of having/positioning the external speakers - I'm not convinced that I really want the cables trailing around my sitting room although I would go for this if I thought the benefits were there. I also originally considered the Panasonic TX-32PL10 but was put off by What Video & TV's review which criticised its sound quality.

Any comments/views would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Nick

2. warryor

warryor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is not really a response to your question, but you won't get meaningful surround sound on general sets, so if sound is important you're better off concentration on other functions and (perhaps at a later date) purchasing a separate audio system. (there are some quite competent for a resonable price, depending on your needs)

Built-in stuff very rarely cuts it (try a separate system and you'll know).

Ok, enough rant. :D

3. othello

othello
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the pb comes with a built in sub woofer.but like the man says if you want the best sound it`s best to get separates.i got the pb50 28" it`s good but i had to get first one replaced because of a high pitched noise coming from back.not a hum a noise.sometimes it disappeared fore a minute.but they changed it for me.new 1 is o.k.[touches wood] hope that helps.;)

4. brucecorbin

brucecorbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have a new pb 50 and am happy with it. sound is adequate but realise a separate system is the way to go for improved sound.
    picture on ntsc playback a little wavy off centre but not a big problem.

also on wheels which is great for rolling it around when my wife is away and want full on picture and sound.

5. Tel boy

Tel boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Fancy a 32 PB 50 myself.
    Had a good look @ 1 on display in the shop, but I noticed a quite bad downwards bowing effect in the bottom right of the screen.
    Was this just a badly set up set or is it on them all?

T b. :confused:

6. Jarvo

Jarvo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Slightly different models but:-

I had to return two Sony 32FX60 with varying geometry

problems, before I settled on a Panasonic 32PK20 which has

a superior picture, build and as yet one year has giving me no

problems.

Good Luck

Jarvo

7. Colger

Colger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pleased to hear someone else had to return 2 32FX60 sets.
    I started with a 32PF10 - then 2 X 32PK20's then the 2 32FX60's but now have the 32PG50 - and now that it's set up correctly its magnificent.
    Incidentally, both 32FX60's suffered geometry problems, purity problems as well as the RGB input moving the picture to the left - I believe a trait of Sony W/S TV's!!
    All the above in a 12 month period!!!!!

8. warryor

warryor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tell me about it, I've had three 32FX60, and all had pretty bad geometry problems. I'll never consider a Sony again.

9. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Warryor,

You forgot to mention that you replaced them with a JVC and it's much better. I am continually banging the drum for the 50Hz JVC models as I think that they are superb value for the money.

Ian

10. Tel boy

Tel boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Did your 32PB50 have the bowing effect that I mentioned?

Did you get it fixed, is this what you mean by “and now that it's set up correctly”

Please explain, Tel. :confused:

11. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Tel, a bowing effect would be lack of geometry correction, not nec' a set weackness per se. The PB50 would be adjustable for this, in either customer or engineer adjust. One thing you are more likely to find is that a Pana' set will have good/excellant geo', or at least the ability to adapt via menus. But, and it's a big 'un, is whether it is more than a PG50 in sheeps clothing - see previous threads on this.
    In case you're wondering I had 3 36pg50's = vet...

12. Colger

Colger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Just a reminder, my set was the 32PG50 but it does have the same Euro7 chassis as the PB50 - and no I didnt have any bowing effect in fact, to my eye the geometry was good however I did have the moire effect on NTSC only.
    I had a Panasonic trained engineer adjust the set via the service menu to get rid of the moire effect and he adjusted the geometry slightly as he said it was out.
    I believe it is important to ensure that the service engineer has been on the course at Panasonic relative to this chassis, Euro7. In my 12 month experience most engineers that called first of all took off the back of the set - bad move - most adjustments are done via the service menu.
    Hope this helps to clarify my comments

13. Tel boy

Tel boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Colger,
    Sorry about that I obviously got my B’s & G’s mixed up.:D

I would still love to know if anyone with a 32 PB 50 has this bowing to the screen & that it is definitely fixable via the menus, would hate to find out the hard way that it’s not.

Regards, Tel.

14. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I have got a Sony KV32DX20 and I think it is excellent.

50Hz, 3 Scarts, DVB-T tuner and a very good picture.

The 50Hz Sony IDTVs are well worth looking at, and unlike some of Sonys other models are UK made, I think to a higher standard that the Spanish TVs (FQ75s)