1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic vs Hitachi

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by nikko, May 28, 2003.

1. nikko

nikko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone, another impressed newbie!

I am about to make my plasma purchase and have pretty much decided on the Panasonic TH42PW5. My local dealer is selling the silver one for 450 quid more than the black (3200 quid). I think the sliver frame may detract attention from the picture...but black will save us money. Is Black vs Sliver a personal thing, i read it can confuse the eye..?

I saw the reviews on the Hitachi 42PMA400E it looked great at less than 3K but I can't get a demo anywhere in South Wales_is it as good as it seems?.

I am looking to upgrade the fronts and centre speakers at the same time, and looking to keep "the boss" happy with a small footprint. I was looking at the B&W VM1's, the L and R are great on the wall or stands but as a centre it looks huge. I would prefer something thinner. Any ideas??? The "boss" likes look of the Mission FS1AV but I think they'll be no match for the B&W?

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    The black panny is the indusrial unit and the silver the consumer. IIRC There is very little difference between the 2 (other than the colour :D ) but the consumer unit is supposed to have slightly better elecronics giving less radiation than the other.

Mark.

3. nikko

nikko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Mark,

Yesterday I found out that Richer Sounds in Cardiff are selling the silver Panny for 3200, same as the Black one at Audio Excellence so we'll go for that. Just the speakers to sort out now.

cheers,
    Nik

4. RossC

RossC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  5. nikko

nikko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks RC,

Is it exactly the same... I can't find any reviews on it? Thanks for the link Richer Sounds who do state its the same model... have you got one?

If all the software etc. is the same I'll get that.

thanks,
    Nik

6. Luc

Luc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The industrial unit has some hidden menus un-hidden compared to the consumer one, and apparently has a marginly better contrast ratio. I got the black, and i'll never go back.

7. nikko

nikko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks chaps,

Looks like I'm off the RS....I'll let you know how I get on.

cheers all,
    Nik

8. ncpl

ncpl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You may want to check what the country of origin is at RS. I seem to recall it has warranty implications.

9. nikko

nikko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Nick, I had forgotton about that.

Here is my understanding. As long as the units are from within the EU the all Manufacturers have to honour the warranty under EU law as warraties are pan- European. From what I understand the Panny UK (not Euro) warranty includes on site service or a loan unit whilst faulty unit is repaired or replaced. This is added on to the EU warranty.

Regardless, if you return the unit to the dealer they have to return the unit for repair under warranty. As in other threads I read, search "gray imports" the extra 2 years you get with the Tosh and the 200 quid saving, should be worth more the the extra money spent on the UK sourced Panny.

Thanks a lot for your reminder though. I'll be carefull.

Nik