1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic Viera Worries

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by iCEMAN87, Aug 29, 2004.

1. iCEMAN87

iCEMAN87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I will be ready for buying my 1st plasma screen in about a months time, and I have thought about getting the Panasonic Viera 42" screen with stand.

The only problem is I keep reading problem threads about Viera's - in particular I saw something along the lines of "Sky+ looks terrible on plasma". As this will be the main source I will be wanting the plasma for, am I best leaving the Viera/Plasma and going for something else like a CRT?

Sorry to sound stupid, but my initial (maybe misguided) thoughts were that Plasmas were meant to be the best displays around?

Would appreciate some help on this!

Thanks in advance.

iCE.

2. red severn

red severn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    the viera very good
    sky very poor
    regards
    red

3. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
  4. red severn

red severn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    crt tvs very good
    sky tv very poor
    regards red

5. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I use my Sky+ on my PW6 and like you was worried about picture quality before I got the unit. However, connected up via the rgb2vga convertor I have to say the picture for sky is far far better than I was expecting it to be. Yes some channels look worse than others but I honestly think 90% of the time its more than viewable. Either it really does make a huge difference how you connect sky to these screens or people are just being WAY to criticle about the quality!!

I should think the Viera will manage nicely! :)

6. Ianc

Ianc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you are an absolute hi-fi nutter and will spend £200 or £100 on gold scart leads to get best picture quality then you'll spot a weakness in Sky - but it wont be because of the viera.

On My viera 42" with SKy+ on a 20£ scart it looks the bees knees, Ive had it for 4 mths now and Im over the moon. I thought PQ would be poor, was expecting it after reading on this forum, but I was stunned and continue to be.

Im sure that with a rgb box etc it probably looks 5% better. But then you have a VGA cable running out the front of your tv ... I know what Id prefer.

The Viera is stunning. If you're worried then go get a decent demo somewhere where they can show you sky thru scart.

7. spook

spook
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have sky+ connected to my PWD6 via scart and the PQ is great,
    just make sure sky+ setup is set to RGB,
    some Sky channels are broadcast at a low bit rate and do look less than perfect but this has nothing to do with the plasma.

Spook

8. red severn

red severn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    why spend £2000 -3000 on decent screen and £10 -£20 on a cable minimizing
    its potentail.
    whats a good piture to some people is poor to others perhaps if people rated a sky (rgb) piture against dvd (rgb)with same cable in same av input you will find sky piture to be poor try it!
    regards red

9. garyN

garyN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just like the iceman,i'm buying a 42''viera at the moment i have a tosh wh08b with great pq,but it's a bit of a monster.might seem a brainless ? will the pq be better or worse or same.thanx

10. Ianc

Ianc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just trying to put it in perspective - Sky on a Viera out of the box looks great, same/better than my 100hz Sony Tube tv it replaced so its not like it looks bad or anything.

But agree that you can improve it with more $$$ but out of the box its perfectly good and all your mates will go wwwwwwoooooowwwwwww not "urgh you spent 4k on that!"

11. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Oh come on!! Yes, dvd is a superior picture (I tested black hawk down on sky and dvd myself to see just how much better it was) but for everyday viewing there is nothing wrong with the sky picture. I'm sorry but either you have had bad experiences for one reason or another or your one those ultra picky people. I mean are you really saying that unless everything you view is of dvd quality (and even that isn't great depending on the transfer) then you class it as a bad picture?

The simple fact is, on a panny (and other makes too I'm sure) sky is more than acceptable for daily viewing. From time to time I'm even amazed at how good it can be. Did anyone ever watch My Big Fat Obnoxious Fiancee on E4? Some scenes of the house from outside at night were so sharp and clear I coulndn't believe what I was seeing (and thats with a 4x3 picture in 'just' - or smart - mode!).

12. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Gary,

My business is based on calibrating display devices. I do it full-time and have therefore seen hundreds of different models, some well set-up, most poorly set-up. The latter are great - I can easily and quickly make a huge improvement and the customer is left with a huge smile on his face. The already well set-up ones can be more of a problem because the improvement is much more subtle. Some people are good at spotting artefacts, many aren't.

A really well set-up RPTV can give a stunning picture, equally so can the right plasma fed the right signal. As you will know from the Tosh when you have an image of 46" you start to see all the problems of the source signal that probably aren't visible on a smaller screen (though if you get really close to the small screen and look very carefully they will still be there - from a normal viewing distance you just don't notice them).

The early plasmas were horrid, the cheap current ones are still horrid but the expensive ones, well set-up, will match the best of RPTV. One beauty of plasma is that geometry will be perfect out of the box. Overscan probably won't be and there is an interesting thread running about overscan on the Viera - I am in touch with a couple of other calibrators and we are trying to find a solution. The Viera is a very good screen, is wife-friendly and easy to set-up, but if ultimate picture quality is the goal you can do better. The high def Panny PW6, with Sky+ RGB converted to VGA (and the VGA input is on the bottom of the screen at the back which makes it easier to conceal cables), DVD going component progressive scan is about as good as it gets (unless you want to go the whole hog and get a high def tape player or Euro 1080 receiver). Get this and you will have a better picture than the Tosh! Add in a Lumagen processor and it will be even better still.

Piers
    www.homecinemaengineering.com

13. red severn

red severn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    silver,
    im not saying every thing has to be dvd quality but to say sky pq is very good
    /excellent is misleading i had the same discussion with dealer demoing pio 434 he later changed his opinion /statement to the best sky piture on a plasma im not saying hes right or wrong but i thought it was poor and to gave
    any one idea i thought hdmi piture very good/excellent .
    i think the viera dvb and analogue tunner built in rates as good
    regards red

14. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    My veira copes with sky quite well. YOu get some solaration and patchs of colur noise. you wont really notice it very often. it only looks bad to me because I am used to seeing sky on a loew nemos 32" crt!!!!!
    Buy the vierea. oyu waont regret it. :thumbsup:

15. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    And all I'm saying is to say its not good at all is misleading as well as with certain channels/programmes it really IS good!

16. sherban2004

sherban2004
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi ! I am having this problem for a while now and I decided to write to a forum, hoping someone may help me. Any advice is welcome !

I recently purchased a Panasonic Viera Plasma TV ( model TH-37PV70PA, HD enabled). I also have a Fujitsu-Siemens laptop, Amilo A series, with ATI Mobility Radeon x700 on it ( with all the updated drivers). I connected them via a VGA cable and it worked perfectly. ATI Control Center had no problem recognizing the TV and all settings are available.

When I tried, however, to connect them via a DVI-HDMI cable (Bandridge, 1 meter long), ATI Control Center didn't detect any new display and the TV screen remains blank. I tried various options, like Force TV, but nothing worked. The video board seems not to detect any new monitors via dvi-hdmi.

I hope you can help me in this matter. Thank you !

17. red severn

red severn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    sounds like no hdmi handshake use vga or check computer for compatibility
    red

18. Heavysalad

Heavysalad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
  19. HEATHER SCOT

HEATHER SCOT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought a Panasonic Viera but cannot get the Panasonic 5.1 DVD home cinema system to play on normal tv. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong? It plays with a dvd but not on SKY or normal tv.

Any advice would be glady accepted. I might add that I am not a tv buff and think that you need a pilots license to read the manuals.

20. kjt2004

kjt2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    Right

I think from your post that your are trying to play the sound from your TV through your DVD home cinema amp? You will need extra cables if you havent already got them

If so you will need
    1) audio cables(phono cables) red/white from your TV to home cinema
    or
    2) Optical or co ax cable from TV to Home cinema

you should then be able to press the psuedo surround button on your cinema system to hear the TV

Im afraid without model numbers that the best i can do

However please read the manual on the home cinema im sure it will tell you how to do it somewhere

regards

21. nab1963

nab1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    the latest vieras are pants on sd,pleased my px 70 has gone,good on hd though,i will not buy another panasonic

Last edited: Nov 26, 2008
  22. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,954
    I'm extremely pleased with my Sky+ SD through my TH37PX80B.

23. mightynimrod

mightynimrod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +150
    Ive had a TH50PZ70B for nearly a year now and it's nothing short of superb on Sky+, on HD it's amazing.

I love my Panny :clap:

Your always going to get a mixed bag of reports on here, some saying it's pap - others saying it's ace.

FYI i use a QED RGB scart lead and switch the Sky box to RGB.