1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic Viera vs PW7

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Alpolini, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Alpolini

Alpolini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My recently bought panasonic thpw7's screen have been scracthed and the insurance company is now saying that the product is discontinued and they must replace it with a newer model which is VIERA TH42PE50.

I have even layed my cables, have my universal wall bracket, conponent input board, sound system and freeview box, and have done no research or could find and comparison between two models.

I know viera has more features but the picture is the most important for me and to me they look the same.

The downside of viera, i think, is it is not HDTV upgradable where as the pw7 will have the hdmi boards in the future??

Any ideas, recommendations, shall I go with the new Viera or the discontinued PW7.

Many thanks

p.s. The budget they said is £1782, I can go with other brands but I think the only plasma that can beat panny is the pioneer which is £2.5k+

2. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    TH-42PWD7 is still available from a whole host of places, check the sponsors' ads and you will see what I mean. The panel is NOT HDTV compatible, the standard def version is only 852 x 480 and though the HD version (which is above your price limit) is 1024 x 768 neither of these will be of much use for Sky high def without an external scaler. The HDMI board does not, and will not, cope with either 720p or 1080i @ 50 Hz (and nor does the DVI board).

If you like the looks of the TH-42PWD7 I would go for that - if you are thinking of the Viera try and see a demo of it wall mounted.

3. Alpolini

Alpolini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks piers

Apart from looks and hdmi, which one has better picture quality do you think, I have no idea what viera colour management brought to this newer model.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    the PWD7 correctly set-up (calibrated) will out perform a Veira...............

5. Mr.G

Mr.G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Even the new pa50?

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    dont had chance to play with one seriously, and dont think piers or G has done one yet be interesting to see if the G8 glass makes a big impact (the PWD7 has far more input options and is more easily connected to a scaler........)

7. Mr.G

Mr.G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They really undressed the 50. They had to do something to make it cheaper I think.
    Therefore It's best to wait for the 500 series. Al the connection possibilities you need and a beautifull result in my opinion. Much better then the PW7. But that's only my opinion

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Mr G have you compared the ~PV500 to the PHD7?

9. Mr.G

Mr.G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes.....
    At the panny showroom in Holland. They all had a dvd source via S-VHS so it was a good comparisson. Don't know about the quality difference if they had the perfect source though

10. fatherted

fatherted
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    VGA port is on the front of a Viera behind a flap is it not? Makes it ugly to connect a scart - VGA box.

11. Mr.G

Mr.G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The front speakers where seperated, but I don't know if the VGA port is behind it. I think I saw a japanese model, so it's not sure that the connexions will be the same

12. leeboy22001

leeboy22001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    checkout the pv500 spec as av-sales.com, tells you all you need to know.... the VGA D-sub is at the rear :)

13. Alpolini

Alpolini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the responses. I decided to ask for the money from the insurance. I will be given £1780 - the value of a TH42PE50. I have three options.

Buy another th42pw7 around £1300 which I already have the component board and wall mount and save about £500.

Buy the pv50 ans sell my component board and wall bracket.

Put extra £300-£400 and wait until the 24th of this month (unbeatable.co.uk told me so)for the new th42pv500 hd model.

But from what I see, even this new model will not cope with the HDTV next year. I don;t watch SKY and I never will but I do watch a lot of European Satellite channels of which some already started HDTV.

Out of the the three models which one is better do you think??

Looks, price are not very important. Its the colour, picture etc.. that matters.

I spent £2000 on a sound system, and the TV will be connected to a Pioneer 550 DVD player, Yamaha 750 amp through Qed Qunex Component connections. So i did my best to get a good picture, now its the Panel that will give the resulting effect.

Opinions are much appreciated.

14. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    THE PV500 should be 100% full cpmatible with all Euro HDTV services launching in the next 4-5 years

15. Alpolini

Alpolini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hornydragon- would you say the 500 is the best bet out of the 3 models? (worth putting the extra money)

16. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    Alpolini - I think you have just asked the $64,000,000 question! There are a lot of people waiting for first look at these, Mr G made some positive comments recently...

The only issue which I think the 500 will have with HDTV is that since it is 'only' 1024 x 768 it will be 'out-resolutioned' (I know that's not a word!) by other HD sets before too long, and eventually the HD signals will exceed it. Although that just comes back to the eternal debate about a decent screen of any resolution versus the highest definition.

17. Alpolini

Alpolini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Theo, did I win the price than??

I had a look at th42pe50 and th42pw7 and decided the pe50 is better. On paper the main difference is the new G8 panel and the 3.6m (i think) colours as oppose to the 1.6m on pw7. And its true, the pw7 looked much more faint. I saw a pe50 inm Comet with very similar set up to mine. Pioneer DVD player 575, connected via Monster THX Component cables. The colours were very impressive, but there were still some noise on some parts of the picture. The darks and blacks are as good as panasonic claims to be. Tested another pe50 in CO-Op with panasonics DVD player connected via composite!! connection and watched Star Wars EPII the assasin chase scene, and yes it was all black, not grey.

The only problem I thinks with the th42PE50 is the built in tuner. The picture was horrible, maybe because I had a look at it after watching a DVD but it was bad. Ok colour but edges and fine details were everywhere. So I decided to keep my own Sony Set Up box, connected to the Yamaha 750 Amp through QED Scart 2 Svid and upconverted to component. No matter what the result, I am sure it would be better than the built in tuner.

I also think the design of the pe50 is although much better whan pw7, not as good as pe30. (Hence the price I guess) It looks very plastic.

I got the money from insurance and have £1700 to spend, but I am still waiting for the pv500. (I will still connect it through component not HDMI) I want to view it and see if it will be worth spending an extra £400 because this one will have 5million more colours than pe50. Also once its out, I am sure if will bring the prices of PE50s down. Would you not aggree?

18. bstonehouse

bstonehouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Does anyone know if there is going to be a new PW7-style Panasonic using the G8 panel and HD compatible, If so, when ?

19. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    september

20. Alpolini

Alpolini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Finally Bought the Viera TH42PA50. Saved £300+ for going for this model, and since I wasn't going to use the integrated freeview it did the trick.

I would strongly recommend anyone who is into detail, not to use integral freeviews. There is a huge difference in picture quality. I used my Sony Setupbox and Component UP converted through the amp that fed to the TV and the picture quality is very impressive.

Thanks for all your help

I realise now the answer to my question. Difference between Pw7 and Viera. Viera is a much better TV, same detail, more colour. But the PW7 has Anti Screen Burn wobbling effects which Viera sadly lacks. Thats about all.

21. Alpolini

Alpolini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Skinny

I still have not seen the PV500, no stores around birmingham seems to have it yet, and its too late for me as well. I think there will be a difference in picture quality and its a a newer model plus the pv500 looks better from what I see in pictures. It is like the older pe30 in terms of design-to compete with pioneeer i guess.

I am very very happy with it. Don't forget I spent £1400 on a plasma and I don't know any other around that price to beat that. I still go into shops and have a look at other plasmas and in my opinion it beats all and even the pioneer (at £3000) is at best same as mine - more detail less colour. I would really recommend to buy a separate good freeview box, if you are going to watch freeview and in that case you can buy the pa50.

In summary

The picture quality, color 10 out of 10 it is incredible, you can't notice it with eveything but when you watch flowers or colours like that, it is quite surreal.
    The resoution/detail is very good as well. Ok it doesn't compete with my £300 worth CRT computer monitor but it is a plasma, you are watching from a distance and you can see all details. There are a few options the plasma gives you, sharpness and things like that.
    The design is very good as well. It is what I was looking for did look really well on my wall.

The disadvantages in my opinion are.

Everytime you turn it on, it opens channel 1 or what ever you left it last time, and than you press AV again. (When you have 10 remotes it becomes a hassle believe me.)

There is a graduations or a line between colours. What I mean is, you are wathing something underthe sea, so all blue and the light-sun- is on the right, as the water gets darker blue to the left, you see some sort of a line between the shades of blue. There are colour managements etc on the panel but have not found a solution yet.

When I watchin the matrix, Neo's and some other peoples beard (its shaved) on the face is Green. I know the movie is a bit on the greenside but I noticed with other movies as well. When you turn on colour management it seems to get worse, the wole face becomes green. So pictures get effected from surrounding colours, I am still working on that though.

I attached a picture, hope it helps.

Attached Files:

22. Skinny Puppy

Skinny Puppy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Alpoilini,

Thanks very much for your feedback. I've gone through my various catalogues/web-sites/notes once again and have decided to follow your lead.

It's been a hard slog this decision making, but at the end of the day, I'm not an audio/video guru - all I want is a nice, big screen that will put a smile on my face when I watch it!

A friend of mine has a PW6 (which is what turned me on to a plasma) and he has recently purchased a sweetspot descaler. He's now running the Sky signal through his PC and the clarity is incredible. Despite the promise of HDTV looming on the horizon, I'm sure that kind of quality will keep me going for a fair few years.

Thanks again, and may your PE50 bring you much happiness!!

Steve (Skinny Puppy).

23. leehaynes

leehaynes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Sorry to jump in -

Alpolini - i saw the 500 at the panny shop in stourbridge last weekend, get yourself down there, they where showing HD footage on it too. mmmmmm - lovely!

Lee