Panasonic Viera TX-P65VT65B 65 ???

nickj1000

Hi Guys. Mt second attempt at posting this. I put the wrong panel number on the last thread.

I am looking at buying a 5 year old plasma panel Panasonic Viera TX-P65VT65B 65 and i wondered if anybody had views on its value and performance compared to OLED. I understand it is in top condition. I am hesitating on OLED at the moment because of burn concerns

Cheers and thanks

Zealot

I had the P50VT65B for five years and it was a great television. I had it calibrated to THX standards by Canard Jules, who did a great job.
Last year the plasma had to have a part replacement and the technician unfortunately broke a tiny part and no one had any idea where it was coming from, but the tv was no longer functional, and I got a full refund.
I got the Panasonic 55FZ802B, and I'm quite happy with it. There's a few shortfalls with the new model that I didn't expect, like older films that I had ripped to my media centre and encoded in DTS audio is no longer read by the new television. Streaming content to the television from Windows 10 is also not well supported on Windows, the television ignores pausing and volume controlling, something I could easily do on the VT65.

Neither televisions showed any ounce of burn-in at any point. I'm not saying that it doesn't happen, but either I was extremely lucky, or it's not a common occurrence. So I recommend you buy a modern OLED if you can afford it, the picture quality is quite similar in 1080p content, but there's a noticeable improvement on the new content, especially if it's HDR10 or HDR10+.

If you don't plan on watching HDR content for years to come, then the VT65 will continue to be an excellent television (after calibration, since after all these years the colours and brightness will need some adjustment to give the awesome picture quality it can). Do keep in mind that it's a 2013 television and Amazon Prime's app only started to support Panasonic televisions from 2014 onwards.

nickj1000

I had the P50VT65B for five years and it was a great television. I had it calibrated to THX standards by Canard Jules, who did a great job.
Last year the plasma had to have a part replacement and the technician unfortunately broke a tiny part and no one had any idea where it was coming from, but the tv was no longer functional, and I got a full refund.
I got the Panasonic 55FZ802B, and I'm quite happy with it. There's a few shortfalls with the new model that I didn't expect, like older films that I had ripped to my media centre and encoded in DTS audio is no longer read by the new television. Streaming content to the television from Windows 10 is also not well supported on Windows, the television ignores pausing and volume controlling, something I could easily do on the VT65.

Neither televisions showed any ounce of burn-in at any point. I'm not saying that it doesn't happen, but either I was extremely lucky, or it's not a common occurrence. So I recommend you buy a modern OLED if you can afford it, the picture quality is quite similar in 1080p content, but there's a noticeable improvement on the new content, especially if it's HDR10 or HDR10+.

If you don't plan on watching HDR content for years to come, then the VT65 will continue to be an excellent television (after calibration, since after all these years the colours and brightness will need some adjustment to give the awesome picture quality it can). Do keep in mind that it's a 2013 television and Amazon Prime's app only started to support Panasonic televisions from 2014 onwards.
Thanks so much for your thorough response. I think probably best an OLED but i am going to wait until the new models come out and look and a Panasonic 65 inch 802 when i think the price will come down a little. Cheers

gibbsy

I've gone from a 50VT65b to a 65FZ802b. Thought I wasn't going to change for a couple of more years but I had brain melt after we won the 6 Nations which brought on an acute attack of upgradiatus. I'm pretty much stunned by the new set. Even HD blu rays look absolutely brilliant on it. Can't wait for October.

I bought mine from AudioT in Crwys Road and they readily price matched. Bought the VT65 off them as well.

nickj1000

I've gone from a 50VT65b to a 65FZ802b. Thought I wasn't going to change for a couple of more years but I had brain melt after we won the 6 Nations which brought on an acute attack of upgradiatus. I'm pretty much stunned by the new set. Even HD blu rays look absolutely brilliant on it. Can't wait for October.

I bought mine from AudioT in Crwys Road and they readily price matched. Bought the VT65 off them as well.
Thanks for your reply. I have family visiting now and they have been watching my panasonic plasma and cannot believe the HD picture because it is 10 years old and there Panasonic LED is only one year old. But the need to change is growing and it is good to know that the OLED shines even on a straight HD picture . :) Cheers

Zealot

Well my VT65 was already calibrated by a professional, so I really didn't see a distinction in mere HD content. In fact some 720p content is a noticeably pixelated on the OLED, which wasn't pixelated at all on the VT65. If you can be impressed by mere HD quality content then it's very likely that your VT65 was underperforming to begin with. It really was a beast of a panel when correctly calibrated.

Not that the 2018 Panasonic OLEDs aren't strong beasts either. But they shine in proper 4K 10bit HDR content, not HD or FHD. IMHO.

gibbsy

Well my VT65 was already calibrated by a professional, so I really didn't see a distinction in mere HD content. In fact some 720p content is a noticeably pixelated on the OLED, which wasn't pixelated at all on the VT65. If you can be impressed by mere HD quality content then it's very likely that your VT65 was underperforming to begin with. It really was a beast of a panel when correctly calibrated.

Not that the 2018 Panasonic OLEDs aren't strong beasts either. But they shine in proper 4K 10bit HDR content, not HD or FHD. IMHO.
I never knowingly had 720 feed into my VT65, so can't comment on that but it's ability to upscale 567 to 1080p was pretty good indeed. Of course 1080p images were stella. With the FZ802 I've only kept my music DVD concerts as at 65 inches they look horrible which was not totally unexpected.

Blu ray 1080p on the other hand is far better than I expected. I've not had time to watch to many except for a couple of episodes of Thrones and Black Sails. Blacks Sails has always been blessed with a stunning 1080p image and on the FZ it simply shines. There is more detail brought out, minute detail can be picked out. Now whether this is down to the increase in size from a 50 inch VT to the 65 inches of the FZ or that the FZ is simply that much better.

I'm really impressed, as is the wife considering the VT had been calibrated by Steve Withers, albeit six years ago. I've invested a fair amount into 4K with the purchase of a Pioneer LX500 as well which has no doubt helped with the delivery of standard blu ray.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom