Panasonic Viera TX-P50ST30 / LW550T - OR WAIT?

Masha

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I've had my panasonci TH42PX50 for several years now and have been generally pleased with the picture quality and reliability, however I would now like a bigger set and to experience 3D gaming and let the kids watch occasional 3D films.

Which of these sets is better for my purpose, the Panasonic is 699 with two sets of glasses or the LG for 799 with seven sets.

I can get the panasonc at john lewis with 5 yr guarentee but the lg seems to be only really from comet locally and with a 1 year guareentee or overpriced 5 year one (plus comets stability seems a little unreliable right now)

ST30 is the better option IMO, prefer plasmas for 2D PQ and 3Ds good, one of the best sets this year and the vest for the money.
Wait? if waiting for the new sets they'll cost a lot more for a good 6-8 months. To give you an idea, the 42" ST30 was around 900 to a grand to start with this year.

Go see both sets before buying, demo is ideal rather than just looking in Currys etc.

Yes, I took the punge and got the richer sounds deal yesterday in the end, tv is good but dissapointed a little with 3d rio is good but avatar seems a bit dodgy, also surprised by how few games have 3d support and that ps3 battlefield doesn't even support 1080p.

Also have to turn off the motion smoothi on films as it feels just wrong - like it's a behind the scenes documentary or something?

Yes, I took the punge and got the richer sounds deal yesterday in the end, tv is good but dissapointed a little with 3d rio is good but avatar seems a bit dodgy, also surprised by how few games have 3d support and that ps3 battlefield doesn't even support 1080p.

Also have to turn off the motion smoothi on films as it feels just wrong - like it's a behind the scenes documentary or something?

Very very few games are 1080p, no cosole is powerful enough to do games like BF3 at 1080p. Whats your settings? Avatar in both 2D and 3D is stunning on my GT30 and the ST30 isnt all that different. If you have a PS3 give Super stardust and GT5 a go, GT5 needs tweaking in the 3D settings of the game. Avatar in 3D has more depth than pop if thats what you are expecting, pop isnt the main thing good 3D is after.

You dont want any motion smoothin on for films, films are shot at 24 frames per second and these sets do 24p very well. I only use IFC with Normal TV, works well with nature docs.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom