PANASONIC Viera TX-P42X50B OR Toshiba 40TL868B - a little help deciding please

liamjamesroe

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi guy's I bought a Toshiba 40TL868B from PC World on Monday i like it but have noticed it has some issues it has terrible backlight bleed in dark scenes and at random times the screen will jump or judder which is starting to annoy me. I popped in to PC World today they told me i can get a replacement or exchange for a different model if i choose to.

The problem is it seem's PC World have stopped stocking and selling the Toshiba they say they still have them in the main knowhow warehouse and they can get me one delivered but it could take a couple of week's as it look's as though they won't be selling them anymore.

I am on a budget of £400 maximum and PC World is really my best choice of shop as i have a discount card were i can get 10% off there is another TV i saw in the price range which is the Panasonic Viera TX-P42X50B which is £369.00 it has freeview hd built in is a bit bigger and looks a good TV.

My only worry is it say's it's only HD ready and not full 1080p HD unlike the Toshiba which is so i'm not really shore if that will effect the picture quality on the Panasonic when i'm playing xbox or watching free view HD channels. I have heard a few bad things about plasma's such as energy usage, image burn and reliability. I'm hoping anyone could tell me weather it would be worth sticking with the Toshiba or the Panasonic would be a good choice to switch to instead thank's for anyone's help in advance.

"value" TV's in this price area will always be a compromise ! & Pana's X series is no exception , when viewed the best you can say is at least it has colour on the screen . The sound is a step above the norm for thin tv's . Really my best advice is to shop around and even if you have to put the extra on your CC look at the better models from Pana , Samsung or even LG because £400 is still a lot to spend on junk especialy when you look at the price over 3 or 4 years viewing .

Last edited:
Purchased my TX-P42X50B a few weeks ago as a replacement for a 5 year old 32" Bravia LCD. Got to say I'm hugely impressed. The picture and sound quality is far better than The Bravia. I really just wanted a replacement screen that was 42" for mainly DVD, Blu-Ray and Battlefield/MW3, so I'm more than happy with it. if I had the budget (the wife's approval) then I'd have gone for the GT especially after seeing a demo in JL, but for now this is more than adequate. My thoughts were that I could probably sell it in 9 months time and buy the GT (once it's price has been reduced) and not lose any money. My only niggle would be that the screen is quite reflective.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom