• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Panasonic Viera TX-P42G20B

albertc30

Standard Member
Dear all;
I have purchased a plasma Panasonic about 3 months ago.
Having missed out on a few programs that thw wife and I like to watch we decided to buy a 320GB external drive.
After installing the device and formatting it on the TV I was amazed by the fact that it wont record one program while we watch another one???????? What a heck?????
Instead it loocks the channel up and forces us to watch the program that its recording.
Now, if we have to watch it why should we want to record it??? Makes no sense to me unless one of us is away and would like to watch the program at a later date.
I thought that the whole point, and that this was also possible, was to have one program recorded while watching another one.
Or are we missing something here?
What an utterly dissapointment this was.
Any comments on this is more than welcome.
Cheers.
Albert

tombac99

I find the hard-drive recording feature really useful, it's a shame it can't record one and watch another but why would you assume it could?

An external tuner can still be used while recording so it's pretty inexpensive to remedy the situation.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
I was amazed by the fact that it wont record one program while we watch another one???????? What a heck?????
Instead it loocks the channel up and forces us to watch the program that its recording.
Now, if we have to watch it why should we want to record it??? Makes no sense to me unless one of us is away and would like to watch the program at a later date.
I thought that the whole point, and that this was also possible, was to have one program recorded while watching another one.
Or are we missing something here?

Yes, a 2nd tuner.
In the days of VCRs you were able to record 1 programme using it's tuner and watch a different one with the TVs tuner.
The record facility is to make an unattended manual or timed recording while you're away to watch at a later date.
Twin tuner PVRs are quite affordable now which will do what you want.

NumbNutz

I think you need to bare in mind that this is a TV first and it has some features like Viera Cast and recording to a hard drive bolted on. It's not an all singing & dancing replacement for a PVR such as Virgin Media V+ or a Sky+ box. Some may complain that whilst the TV can be connected to the Internet, it doesn't have a browser.

Eventually, all this (and a lot more!) will be available in a single package ... but not yet. It's still a great TV.

albertc30

Standard Member
I find the hard-drive recording feature really useful, it's a shame it can't record one and watch another but why would you assume it could?

An external tuner can still be used while recording so it's pretty inexpensive to remedy the situation.

The reason I thought it would do what I have mentioned here is due to the fact that it was mentioned when I bought it.

In all, I guess that the Personal Video Recorder (PVR) is in all a misleading term.

I just thought this would work like our old VCR but, like someone said here, I do recall it, it was the VCR recording from its own channel list and watching another channel on the telly.

In all and to achieve what I am looking for, what do I need to buy? Will a Panasonic BR-Player with a built in HDD ( i think they exist don't they?) sort this out and if so what would be the recomended model?

Thanks to you all for your comments and opinions.

Cheers,
Albert

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
You just need a stand alone PVR. This could be Freeview (Ideally HD), Freesat HD or go for Sky+HD. This will plug into the TV and give you the ability to record 2 channels (Depending on the PVR) and watch a 3rd on the TV.

Use the PVR facility on the TV to pause live TV. We find this a useful feature.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
albertc30 said:
In all and to achieve what I am looking for, what do I need to buy? Will a Panasonic BR-Player with a built in HDD ( i think they exist don't they?) sort this out and if so what would be the recomended model?

That's a bit of an overkill for what you want to do...it's main function is to record to it's HDD, edit and burn to disc for archiving purposes.
You'd be better off with a FreeviewHD or FreesatHD PVR (or Sky+HD if you don't mind the monthly subscription).
Have a read through the PVR section of the forum.

Sent from my iPad using AVForums

albertc30

Standard Member
On this telly, when I press record (direct tv record) it returns me an error of check connections????

Has anybody had this problem and if so what was the solution?

On the subject of a blue ray player as a secondary turner, I can see the point on the freesat hdd turner. However, the thing is we are still in the dark ages with the old DVD player so in all maybe we could do with a blue ray player???? As long as we can record something and watch another program that would be great.

Thanks in advance.

atomix

Novice Member
The G20 can accept both Freeview HD and FreeSat sources so you may be able to record one, whilst watching another. If you already have a satellite dish that could be an option. You'd just need to cable it up and away you go.

If you don't have a dish then I'd recommend getting an external PVR. All of the currently available models have a lot more features than the built-in recording does, such as series link and the ability to record 2 channels at once.

The all-in-one Panasonic devices that combine Blu-Ray and PVR functionality are pretty good, but pretty expensive. If you're looking for an external PVR I'd suggest to start by looking at the Humax range.

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom